Golfers?

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Who's addicted?

I've been playing since 7th grade, and will play until my body won't let me anymore. I hope to be 85 and still be out there slapping a ball 50 yards a shot.

Just curious if every one of your spare dollars goes to mod money, or if this "habit" has anyone else as bad as me.

I'm going to try to play some competitive (amateur) rounds next year, something I haven't done since playing in college. Been working my handicap down all this year, and starting to pull it all together after a lot of hard work/practice. My goal is to play some Memphis city tournaments and to qualify for the TN State Open and State Amateur.

If you're an equipment junky, list "what's in the bag".

Mine:

Titleist 905r driver, 9.5* with Aldila NV65 shaft
Titleist 906f 15 and 18 degree fairway woods
Mizuno MP-33 irons, 3-PW
Cleveland 797 wedges, 56 and 60 degree (also have a 52 for certain courses)
Odyssey Rossie II putter

Titleist ProV1 balls

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Me Too!

Played posted almost 100 round this year. My hadicap went from a 10.6 down to a 5.9 and I ended the season (in Oregon we stop posting mid November) at a 10.1. My swing speed is 106 mph.
Driver
Titleist D1 8.5 Adilia Pronto stiff
Woods
3, 5, Cobra speed F
Irons
Ping G10 Precision Rifle shaft 6.0
Callaway X-Tour Precision Rifle 6.5 (a couple years old but can't part with them)
Wedges
Titleist Vokey spin milled
52 degree 12 bounce
56 degree 10 bounce
Putter
Monza Spyder
Ball
Pro V1, but played some Taylormade Black this year

Shot 79 from the blue on sunday with a quad (chiped in for eagle on 18:thumb:)
You might say I am into golf:roflmao:

Last edited:

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good to see there's someone here as hooked as I am!

I'm playing to a 4 as this season closes out, and am hoping to keep most of my form over the winter. Just as the weather starting turning ugly, I was really finding a groove and my confidence was going upwards. My low round this year was 71, and I really didn't hit it very well that day (28 putts didn't hurt). I'm dying to string it all together for an afternoon, as I feel my chances of "going low" are just within reach.

Back in 2003, I ruptured my L5 disc and was told I wasn't going to play any more golf. That was all I needed to hear! I lost 100 lbs, got more fit and proved them wrong. It also took rebuilding my swing entirely, getting away from the reverse "C" type finish I learned since childhood. I now can play all weekend without pain, and hit much more pure shots consistently.

I just keep telling myself, "only 13 years of practice left before the Senior Tour". :roflmao:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I have to admit I’m addicted to Golf. I play around 200+ rounds a year and currently have a 6 handicap. I agree about playing till I can’t play anymore but you will find that you lose a little distance each year after 55. My current clubs are

Driver
Tour Edge Exotic XCG 9 degree
Fairways
Tour Edge Exotic CB2 3 and 5
Hybrids
Nickent 4DX 3 and 4
Irons
Callaway X-20 Tour 5-PW
Wedges
Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 52, 56 and 60 (trade off with 3 hybrid depending on the course)
Ball
I am currently using the new Bridgstone e7 and like it a lot

Earl

Last edited:

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I play around 200+ rounds a year

Jealousy is getting the better of me right now...

I'm a true range-rat, spending lots of evenings hitting balls after leaving SOS. It's a stress-reliever for me, and I also enjoy shooting swing sequences with my dslr and taking video. I use the V1 Home swing analysis software to keep tabs on things. It's pretty cool.

In Memphis, the "real" playing season is April-November. We do have a very nice indoor practice facility here, which I'll spend some time at over the winter. www.parmasters.com , if you're interested in checking it out.

One more person and we could make a pretty solid S197Forum scramble team!

Booya

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been playing for 18 months, avg 100 per 18. Adams Golf Irons and Wedges, Dunlop Hybrid 3 and 4, Dunlop Putter, and Wilson 3w. No driver at this time; gone through two of em due to cracking the face. I like the Nike Power Straight balls.

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good to see there's someone here as hooked as I am!

I'm playing to a 4 as this season closes out, and am hoping to keep most of my form over the winter. Just as the weather starting turning ugly, I was really finding a groove and my confidence was going upwards. My low round this year was 71, and I really didn't hit it very well that day (28 putts didn't hurt). I'm dying to string it all together for an afternoon, as I feel my chances of "going low" are just within reach.

Back in 2003, I ruptured my L5 disc and was told I wasn't going to play any more golf. That was all I needed to hear! I lost 100 lbs, got more fit and proved them wrong. It also took rebuilding my swing entirely, getting away from the reverse "C" type finish I learned since childhood. I now can play all weekend without pain, and hit much more pure shots consistently.

I just keep telling myself, "only 13 years of practice left before the Senior Tour". :roflmao:
Congrats on the weight loss! I lost 60 lbs a few years back and I put 20 back on. I am working on getting those back off now. The extra lbs do take a toll.
My swing is horrible looking, in fact take a look:roflmao:
http://oms.seeyourgame.com/video.asp?pin=NW5682357

They did this at a tourney for the University of portland last year. I thought my swing was fine till then. At the bottom where it counts I am ok.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
One more person and we could make a pretty solid S197Forum scramble team!
Don't look at me. Last time I tried golf I was using golf balls to cut the grass and kill grasshoppers. Damn thing wouldn't go up in the air. Just skimmed the surface of the grass for 200 yards or so. I even skipped one over a water hazard like a flat rock. Everyone within 75 yards of that shot was on the ground laughing like hell.
:roflmao:

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I love to golf, been hitting the links since I was a 20 year old sailor in Guam (joined the team to get out of work)... but I plain d SUCK! I'm terrible! Maybe I should take a lesson or two???

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No driver at this time; gone through two of em due to cracking the face.

What kind of drivers are you cracking the face of?

Congrats on the weight loss! I lost 60 lbs a few years back and I put 20 back on. I am working on getting those back off now. The extra lbs do take a toll.
My swing is horrible looking, in fact take a look:roflmao:
http://oms.seeyourgame.com/video.asp?pin=NW5682357

They did this at a tourney for the University of portland last year. I thought my swing was fine till then. At the bottom where it counts I am ok.

Thanks, my weight loss was the result of quitting drinking and the dreaded "diet and exercise" thing. I was about 270, built like John Daly, LOL.

Since you posted up, it's only fair that I do it too:

Don't look at me. Last time I tried golf I was using golf balls to cut the grass and kill grasshoppers. Damn thing wouldn't go up in the air. Just skimmed the surface of the grass for 200 yards or so. I even skipped one over a water hazard like a flat rock. Everyone within 75 yards of that shot was on the ground laughing like hell.
:roflmao:

Haha, good one SD. We call those "worm burners". Over this past Thanksgiving weekend, I was standing near a lake with an old ball I had found. I dropped a 5 iron back in my stance and skipped a ball across the lake for my wife. I don't think she realized that could be done.

I love to golf, been hitting the links since I was a 20 year old sailor in Guam (joined the team to get out of work)... but I plain d SUCK! I'm terrible! Maybe I should take a lesson or two???

If you like to play, DEFINITELY spend the cash on a lesson or two. It's far more valuable than a shiny new driver or other equipment.

Last edited:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Yup....that's what the beer girl said. "Good worm burner! How 'bout a beer?" I said, "Sure....couldn't make my game any worse."

Booya

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What kind of drivers are you cracking the face of?

POS Dunlop that I got in the started kit, I kind of expected it. The other was an Adams Golf 10.5. I also snapped the head clean off my composit 3w at the range the day I bought it. Head went about 110 yds and the ball about 20 lol, and no, I didnt hit the ground with it. Luckily I just brought it back and they gave me a new one. I think it was just a bad shaft, no problems with the new one.

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
POS Dunlop that I got in the started kit, I kind of expected it. The other was an Adams Golf 10.5. I also snapped the head clean off my composit 3w at the range the day I bought it. Head went about 110 yds and the ball about 20 lol, and no, I didnt hit the ground with it. Luckily I just brought it back and they gave me a new one. I think it was just a bad shaft, no problems with the new one.

Haha, you answered my questions in advance! I've seen plenty of drivers break when they're slammed into the ground/cartpath/golf cart!

I see you're in Florida, do you keep your clubs in the trunk during the summer? Extreme heat is a known problem with some clubs, causing the epoxy to fail. I believe Callaway had an issue with this years ago.

Booya

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I try not to keep my clubs in the car, but yeah, sometimes they sit in there for a week, so that just might be the problem.

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks, my weight loss was the result of quitting drinking and the dreaded "diet and exercise" thing. I was about 270, built like John Daly, LOL.

Since you posted up, it's only fair that I do it too:

I need to pump the brakes on the beer for sure:beerdrink:

That sucks, your swing is on plane the whole time! You don't have the fun that I have, I am never quite sure if I am going to miss right or left:roflmao:

I get up and down 60+ percent of the time, that is my only saving grace:idea:

I cracked two faces of drivers the first was the Taylormade r520 and the second was my favorite Ping G2. I attribute both to banging range balls. A lot of the range balls have sand on them and they are hard as hell!

If you ever come out to the NW let me know we will tee it up:thumb:

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I need to pump the brakes on the beer for sure:beerdrink:

That sucks, your swing is on plane the whole time! You don't have the fun that I have, I am never quite sure if I am going to miss right or left:roflmao:

I get up and down 60+ percent of the time, that is my only saving grace:idea:

I cracked two faces of drivers the first was the Taylormade r520 and the second was my favorite Ping G2. I attribute both to banging range balls. A lot of the range balls have sand on them and they are hard as hell!

If you ever come out to the NW let me know we will tee it up:thumb:

Trust me, if I knew where I was going to miss it, I'd have a tour card in my wallet and wouldn't be starving slinging gauge pods! LOL

Like you, my short game is the strongest part of my game. You know that Phil Mickelson story about him growing up hitting chips shots in his back yard? That was me, it seems like my childhood was spent with a wedge in my hands instead of a football or baseball. I'd set up some car wash buckets in the yard, and try to land balls in them from various distances. To this day, I often hit my 60 degree wedge into the trash baskets (or try to) on the tee boxes as I wait on slow days. When I'm around the green, I pick a spot and put that bucket there in my imagination. If I "hit it" and read the green well, it's hopefully gonna be a tap in.

Haven't ever broken a driver, or seen it done come to think of it. The Titleist drivers I've been using for the past several years have titanium faces. They can show some wear from the sand you mention, but nothing has ever failed on me. Maybe I need to stay in the weight room a little longer... :idea:

Closest I'm getting to the NW is Montana in February. As you could imagine, my clubs aren't coming with me! haha

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Man this thread is making me sad...lol

Haven't hit a course in almost 2 years. Used to play twice a week for 15 years. In my prime, I averaged a 4-5 handicap and in the last couple years of playing - I averaged 9-12.

I still have all the tools though a couple years old. I used to update every year so I know what you mean about 'mod money'...lol

What's still in my bag now...

TM driver & woods
Ping Eye 2 Irons
TM made Putter
Pro V1 balls

Have always been about 60% off the tee and if money involved, been known to start with a 2 iron many times. My saving grace is my short game has always been pretty good. I'm fairly lethal from 100 or less out.

Like any of you other golf heads though, it's always one or the other (banging the tees or the short game) and on those rare occasions you can put both together - some magic happens...:beerdrink:

I sincerely miss it and just hearing you guys talk about makes me miss it more. it's purely time I don't have anymore. Too much going on with my company over the last couple years and especially now. The saving grace is I am doing it so I can retire by 45 and then I'll be on the fairways and under the sea for the rest of my life...:thumb:

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Took up this crazy game a couple years ago and just love it... more like a love/hate thing. I finally started getting in a goove my second year, but got banged up in a motorcycle accident and could not play for a while. My ex-wife was a Food/Beverage Manager at a local course and I had a free membership out the deal (so I played a ton for a couple years). But with her now being "my ex" and having this new toy in the garage, along with building a new house 2 years ago - it is hard to find enough time to continue improving my game. I still play weekly (April - Sept) in a league, but it is hard to stay consistent or improve with only 9 holes a week.

Oh well, still a game I enjoy and when shopping for a ragtop, one of many key requirements (aside from the obvious of having some HP) was being able to get a couple sets of clubs in the trunk. Nothing better than dropping the top for long drive after what usually ends up being a frustrating round!

Anyhow, I have mostly Taylormade in my bag including an R7 driver, 3 & 4 Rescue clubs and RAC OS irons. So I can't blame my equipment for a bad round!

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back