Golfers?

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good to see this thread is still rolling along!

Best news I have to report is that I shot a new personal best round last Sunday. Five under 67! 3 under 33 on the front, two under 34 on the back. Very familiar course to me, but beat my best there by 4 shots.

74 this afternoon from the tips of a course I haven't seen in 5 years. Very pleased. 1 under 35 on the front, 3 over 39 on the back. A double (water) on the back hurt the worst. Great day, all in all!

I've got a tee time this Sunday at Justin Timberlake's new golf course, Mirimichi. www.mirimichi.com This is an old course he bought and had refurbished/re-designed. Word is they pumped 16 million into the job. I know the old course quite well, so seeing the changes is something I'm looking forward to.

07ToRcH

Torch Red FTW
Reaction score
didn't know this thread was even here,

Im thinking of taking up the sport,

what brand of clubs do you all recommend for a beginner ?
Im looking to spend no more than $250 on some beginner clubs,.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score

my brother has a set of nike clubs that he got at a good price. Next week you should come out with us to Tony Butler!! just text me man. :beer:

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

For a beginner, I'd recommend not going to some big-box store and buying a packaged "starter set".

Buy used, and get a "nice" set that had a few miles on it. There are great deals to be had everywhere on this type of equipment. Many cities have some type of 2nd hand golf shop, and there are usually racks and racks full of decent stuff. You can buy the top-line 2006/7/8 stuff from Callaway, Nike, Titleist, Cobra, etc for dimes on the dollar. Anyone short of single-digit handicaps won't miss the minor tweaks/styling changes of the 2009 products.

I *would* recommend hitting a golf retailer and seeing if you can get some help with fitting clubs for you. Sort of like with clothing, once you know your "measurements" (shaft flex/swing speeds/etc) you can buy your gear knowledgably from used sources, ebay, and the like.

It's a great game, just be patient and remember to have fun.

Last edited:

07ToRcH

Torch Red FTW
Reaction score
For a beginner, I'd recommend not going to some big-box store and buying a packaged "starter set".

Buy used, and get a "nice" set that had a few miles on it. There are great deals to be had everywhere on this type of equipment. Many cities have some type of 2nd hand golf shop, and there are usually racks and racks full of decent stuff. You can buy the top-line 2006/7/8 stuff from Callaway, Nike, Titleist, Cobra, etc for dimes on the dollar. Anyone short of single-digit handicaps won't miss the minor tweaks/styling changes of the 2009 products.

I *would* recommend hitting a golf retailer and seeing if you can get some help with fitting clubs for you. Sort of like with clothing, once you know your "measurements" (shaft flex/swing speeds/etc) you can buy your gear knowledgably from used sources, ebay, and the like.

It's a great game, just be patient and remember to have fun.

I have been looking around at some of the local pawns shops, most of the time they have the clubs a little over priced. A friend of mine also recommended me to get a custom made set from a Golf shop ($200-$400)... not sure if i wanna pay that much just yet, Ill keep looking Im sure ill find something,

07ToRcH

Torch Red FTW
Reaction score
not sure about the irons but his sasquatch driver was like 200 or so. he's got a good beginners set but he's pretty good so he makes use of them. and we'll most likely be there next saturday. one week from today.

I work saturdays till 3, what time do u all play at?

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Well me and 07torch made it out to the driving range toda and I couldn't hit worth a shit for some reason. Tried irons and two drivers and a few hybrid and had maybe like six good shots.. lol. Him on the other hand was kicking my ass. lol. and my 14 year old brother making everyone look bad to begin with. Ended with a little chipping tourney between the three of us, they did pretty good, I sucked. haha. either way, fun day. :beer:

07ToRcH

Torch Red FTW
Reaction score
lol, Hey u had a few good one too.
It was a fun day, I had a great time. you brother is really good and he gave me a few good tips, thank him again for lending me his clubs, :thumb2:
I might be heading out there again today,

Nickoli

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I love the game. I started my first job as a cart boy at my course and a few years later became the shop manager. We didn't have a club pro but that was what I basicaly was. I and had most of the work ready to get my card when I went the route I am now which is a pizza franchisee. I was there for over 9 years and loved the job. I'd still be there if the money was better. I was on the callaway staff program so all my clubs were comps from them except my irons.

Odisey black series #2 putter
Mizzuno Irons
FTi hybrid
FTi squareway 3 wood
FTi driver
vokey spin mill 54*
cleavland sand and lob wedges
and my ball is the Callaway tour ix

Last edited:

07torchgt

^MY NAME; THINGS I SAY>
Reaction score
Didn't notice this thread till now...

I completely suck at Golf... I do good to get under a 100...lol... But I've only been playing for about 4 months now... I am hooked though... Its not a sport by any means but this game drives me nuts... Its the only thing I haven't been able to just step up and do well... Most things I can naturally do well... This, hell no...lol... And, whats funny, its those few phenomenal shots that keep me coming back for more... I keep bad shots playable for the most part but those few great ones make it worth it...

In the bag:

Nike Sumo2 5900 11.5º stiff (finally fixed a fuckin slice on a rail)
Wilson ProStaff 3 wood stiff (best hitting club of the bunch)
Nike Sumo2 3 hybrid stiff (can't hit straight to save my damn life)
Nike Sumo Irons 4-PW, AW Steel stiff (love hitting these... tried titleist DCI's and I can actually hit these)
PureSpin SW (love these purespin wedges)
Illegal Knight LW (backspin like 2 motha fuckers)
Cheap ass Dunlop putter(but its the only one I can putt with for some reason)

Orlimar stand bag (cheap and does the job just fine)
Titleist ProV1 ball (softest ball I have found)

And Herk, did you play on Andersen? Thats where I play every weekend or so... I'm still on Guam till next July...

07ToRcH

Torch Red FTW
Reaction score
Its been a while since I have played, its been raining here off and on for a few weeks now, hoepfully this weekend the weather clears up, oh and the last time i was at the driving range I sliced the ball bad and hit a dude in the back. he wasn't too pissed about it, lol.

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow! Happy birthday to me!!!

Brand new putter, must've been a good boy this year.

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback #1. In the background is my trusty sidekick of 15 years, an Odyssey Rossie II.

9421_154311441587_508036587_2749336_2523126_n.jpg

Worked my index down to 2.0 this year, and still feel I'm making great strides in my game. Finding those last few strokes will be tricky, but I think I can do it!

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback #1. In the background is my trusty sidekick of 15 years, an Odyssey Rossie II.

Worked my index down to 2.0 this year, and still feel I'm making great strides in my game. Finding those last few strokes will be tricky, but I think I can do it!

Lucky!! Those are pretty damn nice! and happy birthday to you Alan! :beer:

doogie

forum member
Reaction score

That's a sweet putter!

I used the same Rossie II for several years and swapped it for a TaylorMade Monza Corza a couple years ago when I received it free from a work event. Not sure it helped though as my putting is still very inconsistent. I am tempted to switch back next spring to see if it helps.
corza.jpg

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good to see this thread is still rolling along!

Best news I have to report is that I shot a new personal best round last Sunday. Five under 67! 3 under 33 on the front, two under 34 on the back. Very familiar course to me, but beat my best there by 4 shots.

74 this afternoon from the tips of a course I haven't seen in 5 years. Very pleased. 1 under 35 on the front, 3 over 39 on the back. A double (water) on the back hurt the worst. Great day, all in all!

I've got a tee time this Sunday at Justin Timberlake's new golf course, Mirimichi. www.mirimichi.com This is an old course he bought and had refurbished/re-designed. Word is they pumped 16 million into the job. I know the old course quite well, so seeing the changes is something I'm looking forward to.
Congrats on the new PB!! I was talked into getting a set of the Callaway x-22's this summer but I just don't like them so I went back to my Mizzuno's and am going to try the new Cobra S2 Forged this winter. I would also like to recommend anyone that is really committed to golf to try the Tour Edge Exotic brand http://exoticsgolf.com/ for fairway woods and hybrids. They are hard to find for a demo and a little pricey but I think they make the best available and I have tried them all. I currently have the XCG-V model 3 wood and 2,3,4 hybrid. They just came out with a new version and the XCG-V's have dropped in price. You should also check out the Eidolon brand http://www.eidolongolf.com/ for wedges another little know company with a great product.

Earl

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back