home growers

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
i just recently got into a new hobbie, something actually cheap and something that is actually plausible at having a monetary return, growing my own peppers.

i started off with a habanero and a jalapeno plant that was bought from homedepot and 6" tall.

day one:

to now this is the size of the jalapeno plant, the habanero is taking a bit longer but it's starting to take off.

now i have about 36 containers attempting to grow 7 different types of various peppers from seeds, i've had some difficulty but i expected i would. some seedlings are almost ready to grow their second set of leaves and some like my giant ghost peppers are just barely breaking the surface, and my pablanos have yet to sprout which sucks not sure if they will grow or not may have been dud seeds.

the types i'm growing from seeds are: giant ghost, chi chein, corno di toro, jalapeno, new mexico big jim, pablano, king of the north peppers

utm18

forum member
Reaction score
My brother grows a small garden. He grows various tomatoes and peppers also. Uses it to make a killer fresh salsa.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
nice, i also have a few other herbs i started growing, lemon balm, sage, thyme, cilantro, mint, i would grow tomatoes but i don't have quite the backyard with these pepper plants now, plus tomatoes are annual where as pepper plants will live several years in cali due to non freezing climate basically.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a small area with about a dozen jalapeno's, three other pepper types, tomatos, cilantro, basil, etc. Started doing it last year. I made some killer salsa last year. Use the basil and other herbs for pizza and such.

mach828

forum member
Reaction score
We've got about 60 pepper plants growing this year that started from seedlings. It is a lot of work.

Green chile, scotch bonnet, reaper, ghost pepper, ghorpion, yellow devils tongue, and some random general peppers. Then we have some onions and tomatoes for home made salsa. Now that I think of it, I should have done cilantro too.

What I've learned so far. Start early, use a grow light, start them in pods, use miracle grow or something similar, and keep them warm when they are small or they will grow slowly and be weak. Ease them into the sun and being outside when they are ready, let them get a strong stem before transplanting to the garden.

Last edited:

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
We've got about 60 pepper plants growing this year that started from seedlings. It is a lot of work.

Green chile, scotch bonnet, reaper, ghost pepper, ghorpion, yellow devils tongue, and some random general peppers. Then we have some onions and tomatoes for home made salsa. Now that I think of it, I should have done cilantro too.

What I've learned so far. Start early, use a grow light, start them in pods, use miracle grow or something similar, and keep them warm when they are small or they will grow slowly and be weak. Ease them into the sun and being outside when they are ready, let them get a strong stem before transplanting to the garden.

holy smokes!

i'm slowly inching towards your numbers though, i started off putting 2-4 pepper seeds into each of those biodegradable pots its like cardboard. i did that to prevent shocking the plant once it came time to plant into the garden.

so far i've had a really hard time and thats mainly because it's my first time. and i'm not home everyday to carefully wtahc them, and i dont necessarily have the right knowledge to be super great at this i've just been reading on the interwebs as i go.

luckily in california peppers will grow year round as we don't get a frost period.

so what i ended up doing is taking my soil which is very high in clay and mixed in 1:4 of manure 1:4 of some garden top soil type stuff had lots of minerals and dead vegation and 2:4 of the high cvlay soil that we have. mixed it all up and planted seeds in it.

so far the best growth has been in damn plastic water bottles i cut in half and made slits in the bottom it holds moisture and they took off like crazy. i actually started them off outside on my patio and they took off like weeds. however the ones in the biodegradable pots did not, due to drying out to easily. i ended up moving them inside til i got sprouts going and now i have some just barely creating their second set of leaves.

i actually had them out most off all day yesterday. i've realized i've been way over watering them lol but most have survived it.

yesterday some plants were looking sad and today they seem to be doing a bit better.

i actually transplanted a few seedlings that had 3-4 in a pot and separated them into their own and have good luck so far with that, i did some over a week ago and they are doing better than any others.

i've had bad luck with the corno di toro peppers they seemed to be the most finicky out of the bunch.

i'll be happy if i get any salvageable plants in all consideration this is my first time doing this.

what kidna pisses me off is i used these and left them outside and they worked stupid good. i have a bell pepper plant thats probably about 2 feet tall ina very short time frame and is already blooming and looking to make some peppers

http://www.biglots.com/images/small/14/810230075_810230079-1.jpg

here's the bell pepper plant

here's some photos from today

Last edited:

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I read the title "Home Growers" thread but wasn't thinking this type of growing... :smokin:

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Had a storm last night and it destroyed my cilantro. I'm having to grow it in pots and the rain literally washed all the dirt out of the pots. Oh well. Next year I want to get an earlier start and put up a vertical pallate garden. Try and do some romaine, chives, etc. Would love to be able to do that many peppers but I just don't have the space.

Are you using a lot of these things for sauces, etc.? I'd really like to expand my herbs and start putting together my own combinations of dry rubs, etc.

By the way, if you're doing herbs and stuff, a cool tip is to take an ice cube tray, fill each cube area with your herb selections and then fill it with olive oil and freeze. The olive oil will freeze. Want to cook some chicken? Throw a cube into the pan.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
a lot will be used to make sauces, i also have a friend that does conpetative bbq events and told him once theae take off if ge ever needs anything i'm more than willing to hook him up.

my cilantro is about the aize of a table although it has already half bolted, some of the leaves are atill good at the base of thw plant. i will post pics tomorrow of it

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Does this count?

grow-marijuana-hydro-1024x682.jpg

Jokes jokes

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Assumed this thread was about growing marijuana.

Pleasantly surprised that it is not, and am loving that it is not. Sick of hearing about weed. Grow more habaneros!!!!

mach828

forum member
Reaction score
I saw those in plastic bottles! You are lucky about being able to grow year round. I've seen photos of people with older pepper plants that are 5 feet tall. I'll do my best to save a few plants through winter this year, likely the super hots.

I'll post photos once they are bigger, should make for a cool photo.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Count me in. I have the following.

Herbs Garden consists of:

Rosemary
Oregano
Dill
Thyme
Lemon grass
Sweet basil
Lemon basil
Tarragon
Bay leaf tree (15ft tall)
Garlic chives
regular chives
Parsley
sweet marjoram
Mint
Orange mint
spearmint

I also have a Mandarin orange tree that produces at least 300-400 oranges a year.

I have 5 different grape "trees"

2 fruiting banana trees (still kinda small)

My vegetable garden consists on (4) 4x8 areas with:

10 tomatoes plants (several varieties)
Jalapeno (roughly 6)
cayenne (roughly 6)
banana peppers
Hot banana peppers
cucumbers
squash
eggplant
I know I'm forgetting some stuff.

This is all done on a small lot. I'm an average suburban home with a lot size of around .33 acre.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
Count me in. I have the following.

Herbs Garden consists of:

Rosemary
Oregano
Dill
Thyme
Lemon grass
Sweet basil
Lemon basil
Tarragon
Bay leaf tree (15ft tall)
Garlic chives
regular chives
Parsley
sweet marjoram
Mint
Orange mint
spearmint

I also have a Mandarin orange tree that produces at least 300-400 oranges a year.

I have 5 different grape "trees"

2 fruiting banana trees (still kinda small)

My vegetable garden consists on (4) 4x8 areas with:

10 tomatoes plants (several varieties)
Jalapeno (roughly 6)
cayenne (roughly 6)
banana peppers
Hot banana peppers
cucumbers
squash
eggplant
I know I'm forgetting some stuff.

This is all done on a small lot. I'm an average suburban home with a lot size of around .33 acre.

jesus thats a ton of food on a small parcel of land i was aboht to ask if you had a large property

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
jesus thats a ton of food on a small parcel of land i was aboht to ask if you had a large property

I've got room for more :)

I just made 8 pint size jars of grape jelly from one plant (roughly 9 lbs of grapes). This was my first attempt and I have to say that I'm happy with the results. To be honest this was my first attempt at jarring anything! I'll try to get some pictures.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
thats rad although not a fan of jelly too much sugar lol.

i'm planning on doing quite a bit of work on the backyard to get ready fr my pepper plants. unfortubately i'm loosing quite a few seedlings and i'm not exactly sure why. i'm having a hard time figuring out how much to water and i think now i'm unfer watering them as theyre dried up looking. the ones in bottles are still doing great.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back