Home networking question - need to add a Switch/HUB

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
My house is pre-wired with cat-5 in each room for internet access with RJ-45s, but the time has come to get one of those rooms online. For now, I just have one live line from the cable modem in the utility room that runs to the home office upstairs. From there, it goes into a 4-port wireless router for connecting laptops and the home PC.

Here's my question... would adding an ethernet switch/hub right after the router in the utility room cause any speed or IP issues since I already have the other router running upstairs? The current router would be one of several outputs from the new hub.

Also open to suggestions on a good cost effective hub. I found several from Netgear (FS105 & GS605) that have good reviews for under $50. But am open to spending more as needed to maintain speed integrity.

Last edited:

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can take either of the 4 output from you router and go to a switch. (in this order to use the firewall of your router).

Every switch is 10/100 baseT minimum. doesn't cost any speed (unless of course if you connect 10 computer downloading at the same time).

I personnaly have a cheap 8 port switch, connected to my netgear router. and my speed is not affected at all.

1754361453.png

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I am in the same boat... ran two drops to every room in the house. I have my main cable coming in to the house and I split it, one going to the cable tv drops and the other going to the cable modem. I am running 8 computers, two gaming consoles, a DVD player, and 2 printers through off it with no degradation in speed.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score

rayS197

Reaction score
any reason why you havent thought about wireless? I may have a linksys switch lying around here you can have just pay for shipping. Been sitting in my closet for quit some time

Back