Hood Pins for track use

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
When I was at VIR last month, I was black flagged and when I went into the pits, they told me that one of the flag stations though my hood wasn't shut and latched properly due to how much the hood looked like was moving around. At 130+ MPH, I've noticed the hood flutters and the front of the hood moved up a little.

I was thinking about getting hood pins, but I'd rather avoid the regular old style hood pins with the wires. I was looking at the aerocatch hood pins along with the twist lock style pins.

http://www.aerocatch.com/category_sublist.php?catid=157&colorid=1&procatid=158

https://www.cervinis.com/product.aspx?car=1&id=1208#7100

Will the twist lock style be adequate to secure the hood? I was hoping to either find flat black or satin black twist lock style hood pins or to get the top part powder coated a flat or satin black if I get them.

alexthejew

Jewish and lovin it.
Reaction score
i really really like the aerocatch ones. i may get a set in white.

Cone Sweeper

Track Whore
Reaction score
HUGE fan of the Aerocatch hood pins.. though I don't have them, I have friends with them.. i'm still gather the balls to drill the holes for them lol

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
At 130 + I'm too busy watching the next corner approach to notice the hood flutter :)

So far I've run three seasons with no pins and no problems.

Last edited:

Cone Sweeper

Track Whore
Reaction score
Yeah I haven't had issues with it.. I also remove the black panels around the wind shield wipers..which i've said a bunch of different times that help get air out of the hood which has reduces the flutter at high speeds..

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
At 130 + I'm too busy watching the next corner apporach to notice the hood flutter :)

So far I've run three seasons with no pins and no problems.

Another S197 owner mentioned the hood flutter to me. On some really logn straights with no traffic ahead of me, I can see it happening. I haven't tried adjsuting the tock latch yet to see if it can reduce the fltter, but I've noticed quite a few S197's with stock hoods and hood pins at the various track days I've been to. I figured they noticed the hood flutter too.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
My hood opened on track before I got pins. The secondary latch caught it or things would have been ugly. I like those Aerocatch ones.

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I use hood pins - highly recommend them. Both versions listed above look good to me. Let us know which one you decide to go with and provide pictures - Thanks!

aldoe90

Reaction score
I was at sebring this past weekend and during the back straight i noticed my hood fluttering a lot, so i came into pit to make sure hood was secure. at 130+ hood definitely flutters enough to give the appearance that it is loose. really like the aerocatch anyone that has tried them please chime in

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
I was at sebring this past weekend and during the back straight i noticed my hood fluttering a lot, so i came into pit to make sure hood was secure. at 130+ hood definitely flutters enough to give the appearance that it is loose. really like the aerocatch anyone that has tried them please chime in

You might be able to search and find some pictures, they are quite scarce and I'm guessing it's because of how large the hole is you have to make.

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
... still mad that FORD USA said it was because i was driving too fast!

Seriously!?! They said that? C'mon Ford, even from a liability perspective they should know better. If you are claiming top speeds of 145 mph and there are places in your market where the product will see those speeds, your stuff better be up to snuff at that point. Or hell, at least be willing to stand behind it. Conceding that you're the one driving too fast is the same as claiming a lower top speed.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
I have the Scott Drake ones, they work. You can remove the wires if you don't want them.
http://www.partscheap.com/Mustang_Hood_Pins_p/5r3z-6316892-k.htm

Otherwise I recommend the Sparco ones.
HoodPinSparco.jpg

Last edited:

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
If you adjust the rubber stoppers under the hood upwards you can get the hood to fit more tightly and it won't flutter. The way I have mine adjusted to need to slam the hood just to get it to fully latch, but it won't budge at any speed.

bigmachano

Weapon IX
Reaction score
If you adjust the rubber stoppers under the hood upwards you can get the hood to fit more tightly and it won't flutter. The way I have mine adjusted to need to slam the hood just to get it to fully latch, but it won't budge at any speed.

i tried that one too, but the amount that i had to adjust it, the hood sat up about 1/4" to 3/8" higher than the quarter panels and looked really bad. as far as ford telling us that we're driving to fast... :jerkoff: i know i drive too fast, that's why i bought a mustang

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
i tried that one too, but the amount that i had to adjust it, the hood sat up about 1/4" to 3/8" higher than the quarter panels and looked really bad. as far as ford telling us that we're driving to fast... :jerkoff: i know i drive too fast, that's why i bought a mustang

A fuckin 'men...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back