Hood Pins for track use

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Buy a mustang, then a z06, then a miata. Man, you are all over the place. J/K. I just bought a cooper s, myself so I can't talk smack.

Hahaha, well running the Z hard every other weekend was starting to catch up to me so i decided i needed something a little more cost effective.

How do you like the Cooper? I've grown to REALLY appreciate little compact cars such as the miata, mini, elise... The driving experience is SO much fun. I wish my stang handled as well as the miata, lol

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
Yeah its a new addition. And I have to say I f*%$ing LOVE IT!!! No way it could have done it N/A though, I mean I know the hood works well, but not THAT good :)

Funny...I used to have one of Paul's hoods on my '95. Modified just like yours, too. Didn't I see you at Infineon during Sonoma Historics?! I was with the Tiger Racing crew.

Reaction score
Hahaha, well running the Z hard every other weekend was starting to catch up to me so i decided i needed something a little more cost effective.

How do you like the Cooper? I've grown to REALLY appreciate little compact cars such as the miata, mini, elise... The driving experience is SO much fun. I wish my stang handled as well as the miata, lol

I hear ya, and that's why I bought the lil pooper. Handling is beyond awesome. Already got a Porsche 996 C2 under my belt at my home track. lol. It doesn't feel slow, but the lap times sure give you a reality check. Now, I pray for rain when I'm out there with it.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+3 AERO

391711536.jpg

392068971.jpg

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Not a 747, more like a decomissioned L-1011... That said, though, take a look at the size of the splitter on that car, it would probably take that much wing to balance it all back out again. From a racing standpoint, if the rules allow it, why not?! From a TT standpoint, if you're paying the points for an aero piece, you might as well go to the very limit...

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Digging up an old thread to keep from creating a new one...

I used Aerocatches on my S13 track car and really liked them. You can trim the rubber "stopper" to a length that puts upward pressure on the device to aid in keeping it tightly closed.

I will use them on my S197 as well. The only question at this point is how MANY to use. I've seen both 2 and 4 used; the latter feels like overkill.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
If I was still using the factory hood latch, I bet 2 would work. If I wasn't, I'd want 4

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
If I was still using the factory hood latch, I bet 2 would work. If I wasn't, I'd want 4
understood

Follow-up questions:

1. I assume hood "flutters" decrease with hood venting?
  2. Does #1 impact your decision RE: how many to use?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I put a shaker on my 2007 S197 and it got worse... not better. I used two old school hood pins and there was zero movement up to about 175. Don't think I ever went faster than that in that car.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
I think I would rather put a vent in the hood and see how that 130+mph segment goes. After all it's under-hood pressure that is causing the issue. Vent it and the pressure drops. You are already talking about cutting on the hood anyway.

Edit- http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104834&highlight=aero
I had that thread tattooed. Wasn't cheap. Srslytho I'll probably start with vents; thanks for the input.

Oh, and I don't mind putting holes in the car. It's only a CS.

Last edited:

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby hood pins and a Kaenen 3" cowl hood. No hood shake at VIR at 135 mph and peace of mind.

NOOB

Attachments

• Fiona front w hood pins and tow hook.jpg
    Fiona front w hood pins and tow hook.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 15

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back