Hot Rod Cams are in! My install and review inside

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
First of all let me say that I was nervous about installing cams because I never cracked open a motor before. But with the help of this writeup as well as a youtube video entitled "more mustang power with a cam upgrade":

http://home.comcast.net/~cookpaging/hammeron/cams/hotrodcams.html

I decided to give it a shot. I all ready had a decent socket set with extensions so I went shopping for the stuff I didn't have. Here was the list:

Torque wrench $22 (Harbor Freight and Tools)
Breaker Bar $10 (Harbor Freight and Tools)
Garden Hose $7 (Home Depot)
1 QT motor oil $3 (Wal-Mart)
1 black permanant marker $1 (Wal-mart)

With all the above I rolled up my sleeves and went to work. I started with the drivers side and removed the CAI, ignition boots and any cables that were in the way. I did not remove any of the spark plugs. Now in the writeup they tell you about positioning the crankshaft damper to 1 o'clock and then later to 7 o'clock. In the video they skipped this step as well as the steps that use the spring compressor tool and camshaft roller followers. I chose to follow the video here and I skipped those steps.

So once the CAI, cables and boots were out of the way I removed the cam cover and I loosened the bolts in the reverse of the tightening sequence found in the writeup. Once the cover was off I inserted a foot worth of regular garden hose into the timing chain until it was wedged in good and tight. With the black marker I marked the position on the timing chain and then removed the cam phaser bolt and cam position sensor. Very gently and carefully I seperated the sprocket assembly from the camshaft. Now it was just a matter of removing the cam bearing caps. First I stuffed a piece of paper towel into each hole so to prevent any chance of a cam roller follower falling into the head. I started with the center cap and worked my way to the outside ones in order. Once all were out the stock cam came right off and was put to the side.

Now a few cam roller followers did fall out of place so I repositioned them and then soaked the drivers side Hot Rod Cam with engine oil before putting it in place. I inserted the cam into the sprocket assembly and then positioned the cam in place over the cam roller followers being careful not to knock any loose. Now using the torque wrench set to 7.5 Ft Lbs I started re-installing the cam bearing caps starting with the middle cap and working my way to the outside caps. Then I re-set the torque wrench to 30 Ft Lbs and tightened the new cam phaser bolt into the timing chain sprocket. This is where I needed the breaker bar so that I could get that full 90 degrees past the 30 Ft Lb mark without spinning the whole assembly.

With that done I removed my paper towels, removed the hose and re-installed the cam cover using the tightening sequence shown in the writeup. The passenger side was the exact same proceedure other then I had to start by removing the battery and battery tray to get at some of the cam cover bolts. With both cams installed I put the battery, cai and boots back on. With everything cabled up I loaded a brenspeed 93 octane tune and fired the car up.

Now I was very nervous at this point. I was imagining clanking and rattling and a blown up motor. But instead I got a clean startup and a sweet sound coming from my exhaust. The idle was nice and choppy and everything seemed to be working very well. But I did have one complaint. The car was still too quiet. I guess it's the magnaflow chambered mufflers I have. So I removed the bolts in the H-pipe where the rear 02 sensor used to be (essentially creating an exhaust leak on purpose) and WOW did that make the car sound sweet. I could really hear the cams better now.

So I hit the street and took her for a few WOT runs on a back country road. The car pulled HARD and the cams sound amazing. I can really feel the extra power in the upper RPM's. The driveability is good with the Brenspeed tune but when I am coming to a stop and shift into nuetral I did notice there is a surging of rpms from 400 rpm to 1000 rpm. Once I come to a full stop the rpm's will level off at 750. But the car did die twice on me as I was coming to a stop. But that was only twice out of several hours of driving I did over the weekend.

Over all I give the cams an A- and would highly recommend them as well as doing the install yourself to anyone considering either. I'd also like to say a big thanks to Brenspeed for the tune they gave me, to this site and its members for the information it provided me and to my girlfriend who didn't leave me after she smelled the cars new fragrence :Big Laugh:

Last edited:

travelers

Reaction score
Congrats on the install but I wouldn't have used a Harbor Freight torque wrench. I had my Snap-On calibrated after I bought it..

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tuner can fix the idle issue.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I also had the idle issue when I first put in my cams. I found that when you start the car up for the first time you need to turn on the a/c and let the car idle for at least 10 minutes. Fine after that. I guess the cpu has to learn a little.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
When you guys say tuner can fix the idle issue do you mean a hand held tuner (I can do this myself) or do you mean a tuner as in a person who is an expert at writing 3V tunes?

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
we mean a tuner who can change things in the tune, that you cannot do with a handheld tuner.

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
Just get ahold of Brenspeed if that's who wrote your tune, they need to modify your existing tune for the cams and once that's done, it will eliminate the dying issue.

Big cams like that are picky when comes to the tune and idle/drivability but easy enough for any decent tuner to dial in.

I ran a Brenspeed tune on Comp Thumpr cams for years and was happy with it.

And "my girlfriend who didn't leave me after she smelled the cars new fragrence " made me almost spit out my coffee reading that..... I got the same comments / looks from the wife back in the old cammed GT I had then. lol

RedCandyApple2008

Reaction score
You make it sound so easy lol..how many hours did it take you? What other mods do you recommend having prior to adding some cams? Thanks in advance :)

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
You make it sound so easy lol..how many hours did it take you? What other mods do you recommend having prior to adding some cams? Thanks in advance :)

The first cam took longer because I was just figuring out what was what and what was where. So that cam took me about four hours but that's with me stopping to try and figure something out or going in watch the video a few times. The second cam there was no hesitation and I had that cam in and everything put back on in two hours flat.

If I had to do it again right now I know I could install a set of cams in about 3-4 hours total. It's really not that hard or complicated especially if you are skipping all the steps that use the spring compressor tool like I did.

Cams like to breath so I would definately recommend LT headers with your choice of H or X pipe (catted or off road). Without headers you won't hear the cams as good due to a quieter exhaust and the HP gains won't be as impressive. I'd also recommend steeper gears like 4.10's to counter some of the low end torque loss you might get from headers and cams. And obviously you need a tune for cams so if you don't have a tuner then you'll need to buy one. I bought mine from Brenspeed because they include three tunes with the purchase of the tuner so I had them write me a tune for all my mods including the cams and they sent it in three versions (87 octane, 91 octane and 93 octane).

I'd be happy to help you out in person if you are even remotely close to Illinois or at least over the phone if you were ever to take on this project. Just PM me and I can give you my number.

Last edited:

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Never skimp on torque wrenches. If money is an issue, get an $80 Kobalt one from Lowe's.

I didn't know there was a big deal between one torque wrench to another. It's kind of late now as the job is done and everything seems to be working just fine. But I'll keep this in mind in the future.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Just get ahold of Brenspeed if that's who wrote your tune, they need to modify your existing tune for the cams and once that's done, it will eliminate the dying issue.

Big cams like that are picky when comes to the tune and idle/drivability but easy enough for any decent tuner to dial in.

I ran a Brenspeed tune on Comp Thumpr cams for years and was happy with it.

And "my girlfriend who didn't leave me after she smelled the cars new fragrence " made me almost spit out my coffee reading that..... I got the same comments / looks from the wife back in the old cammed GT I had then. lol

My car only died the two times. I've been driving it a lot since the cams went in on Friday and it hasn't died since then. But say I'm cruising at 60 mph in 5th gear and I'm approaching a red light. I'll throw the car in neutral and while I'm braking to a stop the rpm's surge repeatedly from say 400 rpm to 900 rpm the entire time I'm slowing down. Then when I do actually come to a full stop the car settles down and is a nice level 750 rpm's.

I'll talk to Brenspeed about it tomorrow but I have a feeling they might tell me that's normal. But it's not dying anymore so that's good.

Last edited:

fnfast

forum member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine surging and died out a few times with brenspeeds tune. I drove it a lot and it stopped. It needed to do a learning process. Been perfect ever since.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with brenspeed and they said the rpm surge was normal, lol.

They said my throttle body needs to be cleaned and that should fix the issue. So im gonna try it and see what happens.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with brenspeed and they said the rpm surge was normal, lol.

They said my throttle body needs to be cleaned and that should fix the issue. So im gonna try it and see what happens.

I did that a few weeks ago and it did actually make a huge difference. You don't need any fancy carb cleaner or anything like that. Disconnect the CAI, push the blades back, and wipe with a damp cloth out toward you. Everything in there should wipe right out.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I did that a few weeks ago and it did actually make a huge difference. You don't need any fancy carb cleaner or anything like that. Disconnect the CAI, push the blades back, and wipe with a damp cloth out toward you. Everything in there should wipe right out.

LOL. I literally just spent $6 on fancy throttle body cleaner before getting to work and reading this post. Oh well. I waste more then that at Burger King on a whopper value meal.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back