I got the car dynotuned at Brenspeed!

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
The n/a is about right.

Maybe it is. I just remember seeing a lot of NA sigs where people claimed 335 to 345 RWHP. I was really expecting 330 RWHP. Probably just wishful thinking on my part. It still moves pretty good for what it has. I think my car only weights about 3,350 lbs so that helps.

If I can only get the Nitrous working.......

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Contest the credit card charge

deebo05

forum member
Reaction score
I dealt with a brenspeed tune way back in the day when I just bought the car and wanted to mod it. I had bought long tubes and a cold air,it came with a tuner and "brenspeed custom toon" for my heads,cams and nitrous.

only thing that there tune did was go wot n/a, barely idled, driveability was horrible, you had to be half throttle just keep up with traffic. there was also a dead spot in the pedal at 2k to 3k unless you were wot. they wouldn't look at logs told me it was my fuel pump, on a 300 mile car, they said it cant be their toon.

tuned it myself and didn't have to throw parts at it, ran perfect.... their toon didn't even have the maf properly calibrated for the cold air they sold me.

I hope brent sees this thread.. you are a fucking crook and should just stick to pedaling parts, people work hard for their money and for you to burn them is classless and a pos move.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Maybe Brenspeed could start carrying Legato mufflers? Sick combo bruh.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
The more I have thought this through the angrier I get. I mean who says here's our dyno tune but I wouldn't use it unless you want your motor to blow up because we can't figure out why your AF is so bad. But that'll be $600 please. Oh and you can come back and pay us $200 more later but we can't guarantee your problem will be fixed even then.

I mean really?

I think I'm going to call them up tomorrow and say look guys, you need to finish what you started since I paid top dollar for a working dyno tune. I'll install the new fuel pump and bring the car back so you can finish the tune free of charge.

The worst they can say is no, right?

The worst they can do is blow your motor. Take the licks, double check the fuel pump serial number to make sure they didn't sell you a stock fuel pump and go elsewhere.

$0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
What part of the country are you in? Would you mind PMing me which local tuner you went to?

My tuner also refused to log FP & injector duty cycles saying some cars will not let him see the values. Me not knowing any better, went along with it. My car also bucks and backfires at part throttle like it's running on broken COPs. I double checked everything mechanically and found nothing wrong. When I asked the tuner about it, he said it's the nature of the hot rod cams.

I don't mean to derail your thread OP, but I'm just mentioning this because duty cycles were brought up.

PM sent

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't get how these people don't have access to Inj and FP DC. What are they tuning the car with? An abacus?

My experience with "Brand B"? Loads the tune, starts it up, drives it on the dyno, looks at AFR under load, and makes two pulls. As long as no CEL or wrench light and it doesn't lean WOT its good. That's a canned tune. Quit peddling it as a "custom tune". False advertising in my opinion if that's all a tuner is going to do when you drive the car to them. OP could have ordered the tune saved the drive and gotten the same thing from a dyno pull locally, and probably gotten better service and even a datalog out of it telling you better what was going on when it leaned.

'Brand B's' argument in my past experience? "We've done so many of these we have the tune down to a science". And that's fine as a base tune to start from. But for crying out loud, if a guy is on the rollers and has driven 3.5 hours one way for a "custom tune" do a little more than upload his hand held with a canned tune from your server file, load the PCM and make a dyno pull before selling him things YOU THINK might be the problem. 'Brand B' may be right, but that's a big gamble for a guy who has driven 3.5 hours each way IMO. Datalog more than AFR RWHP and RWT. Jeez what a lump of coal. I see nothing has changed there in the past 5+ years. Fancy facility and pathetic service after the sale.

If I am not mistaken there are some good tuners in the Davenport area. Maybe someone in the tri cities could confirm that. May be closer for you OP and better service after the sale.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
The worst they can do is blow your motor. Take the licks, double check the fuel pump serial number to make sure they didn't sell you a stock fuel pump and go elsewhere.

$0.02

Yeah, that's not exactly what you want a tuner to do.

46addict

Reaction score
LOL. I believe that. I still can't believe my NA setup is only good for 323 RWHP. I bet a better tuner could get that number up a little. They blamed the Hot Rod Cams. They said if I had Detroit Rockers I would have made more HP. Yeah RIGHT! I've seen a lot of posts from people with less then stellar numbers from those cams. There is only so much you can gain from NSR cams anyway.

But they do sound DAMN good!
I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers. All dynos vary and comparing 1/4 mile trap speeds is a much more reliable way to measure performance. And if Brenspeed's dyno isn't calibrated regularly, it could be another factor.

FWIW, the guys at Hot Rod took a '11 GT500 and put it on 5 different dynos on the same day. The min/max hp variation was 15%, which in this case is 100+hp. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1103-chassis-dyno-testing/

1BigDog

forum member
Reaction score
After reading this thread it got me thinking about this. Back in 2012, when I bought the Brenspeed Detroit rocker cams and an FRPP CAI along with an SCT X3 tuner and 3 of Brenspeeds tunes for my 07 I had LaMotta performance do the cam install. Jake called me and said that he was having a problem loading the Brenspeed tune into the car and that he called Brenspeed and he was getting the runaround. He was pretty pissed. When I got to the shop he made an offer of a chassis dyno at a great price and I took it. And after all of that the car still had only 276 RWHP. A few months later I had Brenspeed rewrite the tune and the car actually ran better. Fast forward to August 2016. I added a JLT CAI and another Brenspeed 93 tune. The car really woke up but my low end was sluggish. I called Brenspeed and I asked if any adjustments could be made as I feel that I lost some response on the low end. It sure sounded like the guy was snickering on the other end. He told me that there was nothing wrong with the tune and I hung up. I was going to push the issue again when I ended up trading the 07 for a 2012 CS/GT. All that additional HP without all the fuss. Not bashing Brenspeed, just making a comment based on what else was posted in this thread. My take on this is: unless you are spending big bucks with any company, you are only going to get the basics. Im talking thousands here. While dropping maybe a thousand is big money to most of us, its a pittance to many shops.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Dynos are best used as a relative measurement. The difference between you making 323 vs wanting 330-340 is negligible. Does it run well? That's what matters.

I'm more surprised that a tuner would leave you with the nitrous tune that isn't safe. Did they offer to pull back on the tune to bring you into a more safe level? When I had my car Dyno tuned locally. They gave me a could different scenarios. In the end, we both agreed that due to my neurotic natural, I preferred them to dial it back to be safer.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Not bashing Brenspeed, just making a comment based on what else was posted in this thread. My take on this is: unless you are spending big bucks with any company, you are only going to get the basics. Im talking thousands here. While dropping maybe a thousand is big money to most of us, its a pittance to many shops.

Man you have two of the best just down the road from you. VMP and Palm Beach Dyno. Justin Starkey's group is 1st class. Ken Bjonnes, I've known him personally for years when he worked up my way locally. he even tuned a Ranger pickup 4.0 for me once. Either place could tune a piano and make it go fast. And be service oriented after the sale not just when the green backs are flowing.

Don't pigeon hole the whole industry. That's uncalled for. Try these guys out I mentioned above. You might be surprised how well they treat you. I have spent about 1/8th at VMP that I spent at "Brand B". VMP treats me like "Brand B" should have based by your rule of thumb on how companies treat high rollers who spend THOUSANDS compared to the rest. Justin Starkey and his group are great professional people. Ken Bjonnes though I have not worked with him in years i feel safe to say the same thing about. And I am certain there are other service providers people will share that have provided equally good service after the sale as well.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Manuel troubleshoots on the forum for free, and straight up gives out advice a tech info to anybody who isn't a moron online. Have him remote tune it. He recommended Ken B for remote coyote tuning when I bugged him about coyote shit a couple of months ago. Not too many tuners tell you to go to the competition, not because they can't do it, but because the competition has more experience with a specific application.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score

$0.02

Damn it. Why did you have to say that? Myself and logic have never seen eye to eye :whistle1:

But I know your right. I want to avoid paying a new tuner $500+ for a new dyno tune but I also know that would be a lot cheaper then replacing a motor.

I have heard good things about this guy Mike Post who is here in Illinois. I might give him a call and set something up. As for the pump, it's definitely not a stock fuel pump. It's this one:

2005-10 Mustang GT/V6 DeatschWerks Fuel Pump

Item Number:9-305-1034

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
That's why I stick to bama yo, 8 years and no issues. :roflmao:
but seriously I wouldn't have left that place, at least have them diagnose it to be %100 sure for that trip you made. sucks man :(

Also BS on the hot rod cams, they can tune for that I got 335 from an email tune.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
Damn it. Why did you have to say that? Myself and logic have never seen eye to eye :whistle1:

But I know your right. I want to avoid paying a new tuner $500+ for a new dyno tune but I also know that would be a lot cheaper then replacing a motor.

I have heard good things about this guy Mike Post who is here in Illinois. I might give him a call and set something up. As for the pump, it's definitely not a stock fuel pump. It's this one:

2005-10 Mustang GT/V6 DeatschWerks Fuel Pump

Item Number:9-305-1034

Mike is a good guy. He tuned my car....did a great job! More than happy with the results.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back