I got the car dynotuned at Brenspeed!

46addict

Reaction score
Who are you? You have a similar name to a guy who drives his mustang in the winter, but his sig has been a picture of his car in the snow since like 2012.

Just noticed his posts have been replaced. Must be that elusive Boss 227 owner.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
It is looking pretty clean. Thanks for noticing!!! And no snow, yet.

Brenspeed

forum member
Reaction score
First I would like to address the original post, and I did not read this entire thread only page 1 as it apparently only took that long for false info or assumptions to be made.

Yes like pretty much every calibrator out there fuel pump duty cycle and pressure gets logged on every vehicle.

In this case the system, and fuel pump performance were questionable. Duty cycle on the pump and volume were questionable as well. For that, and on a 10 year old fuel sytem and the fact the car is capable of 500 ft. lb. of torque to the tires the pump was requested to be improved.

The NOS system itself consisted of what I would refer to as "home made" or some sort of used kit that is either not allowing fuel in properly or possibly combined with the pump was causing fuel issues.

Graphs were provided to show how NOS systems should work and how fuel should not react to how this particular engine is reacting. So what some would call pouring salt on the wound, others would find it interesting and knowledgeable to see how a system should actually function.

What was not mentioned is the several hours that were spent on this car soldering wires that were not properly connected together, changing jets that shouldn't have needed changed to run tests (jets we dug up that were not provided), testing solenoids to see if they were operating properly, all at.... no charge.

Dyno calibrating a car and working on it are two different things. And in this case, the majority of the time was working on it which is something that was not scheduled but we did to help out.

Nobody wants a car to leave un-finished so despite the fact tech's are fully booked with installs we still found time to try to diagnose nitrous problems, wiring problems, etc...

Hope that explains. And this is nothing against you Darren you are a great guy I just thought since so many assumptions are made in forums this should be explained.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Yes like pretty much every calibrator out there fuel pump duty cycle and pressure gets logged on every vehicle.

Graphs were provided to show how NOS systems should work and how fuel should not react to how this particular engine is reacting. So what some would call pouring salt on the wound, others would find it interesting and knowledgeable to see how a system should actually function.

OP -

Did you see or were you offered a look at the data logs with an explanation or just that you needed a fuel pump? They did print you a copy of the data log they discussed with you right?

Did you actually receive the graphs mentioned along with an explanation?

Last edited:

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
OP -

Did you see or were you offered a look at the data logs with an explanation or just that you needed a fuel pump? They did print you a copy of the data log they discussed with you right?

Did you actually receive the graphs mentioned along with an explanation?

I was not shown any data logs. The fuel pump was suggested as a "possible cause" but nothing was definitive. In fact I was warned that I could install this upgraded pump, come back and pay another $200 and still not have a usable tune afterwards.

Like I said before, the graphs were given to me an example of what you wanted to see and then mine was provided to show what you didn't want to see.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
First I would like to address the original post, and I did not read this entire thread only page 1 as it apparently only took that long for false info or assumptions to be made.

In this case the system, and fuel pump performance were questionable. Duty cycle on the pump and volume were questionable as well. For that, and on a 10 year old fuel sytem and the fact the car is capable of 500 ft. lb. of torque to the tires the pump was requested to be improved.

The NOS system itself consisted of what I would refer to as "home made" or some sort of used kit that is either not allowing fuel in properly or possibly combined with the pump was causing fuel issues.

What was not mentioned is the several hours that were spent on this car soldering wires that were not properly connected together, changing jets that shouldn't have needed changed to run tests (jets we dug up that were not provided), testing solenoids to see if they were operating properly, all at.... no charge.

Dyno calibrating a car and working on it are two different things. And in this case, the majority of the time was working on it which is something that was not scheduled but we did to help out.

Nobody wants a car to leave un-finished so despite the fact tech's are fully booked with installs we still found time to try to diagnose nitrous problems, wiring problems, etc...

Hope that explains. And this is nothing against you Darren you are a great guy I just thought since so many assumptions are made in forums this should be explained.

Let me reiterate the facts just so that everyone understands.

1). I tested the system to ensure everything worked. This included my testing of the solenoids individually. I removed the fuel solenoid from the plate and aimed it at a bucket. Then I touched the power wire to the positive terminal of the battery and instantly the solenoid clicked and fuel shot out and into the bucket. I did the same with the N20 solenoid after I built up some bottle pressure. They both worked. Nitrous solenoids are not rocket science . Either they are opening and allowing the fuel or N20 to pass through or they are not. They were.

2). The wiring issue being referred to here was the ground wire for the solenoids. It was kind of a crappy solder job but it was making contact. I do not believe this fixed anything but it was a cleaner solder job after they re-did it.

3). The jets installed was 52 N20 and 23 fuel. These are the correct jets for Nitrous outlets 100 shot. Anyone can look them up on the internet and see the jet sizes I installed was correct. Brenspeed did replace the fuel jet with a 33 in an attempt to correct the lack of fuel with a bigger jet. If it worked that would have been great. But it didn't work and it doesn't change the fact that the jets I brought were the correct ones.

4). I paid $600 for a NA tune that I already had. I did what I was told to do and one thing I was not told to do was upgrade my fuel pump prior to a dyno tune. All the research I did shows that the stock pump can handle up to a 100 shot and above that you need a new pump or boost a pump.

It was bad enough that I was told they couldn't get the A/F ratio right (which is what I was paying Brenspeed $600 for) but then I was told that if I install the pump they sold me and come back they will charge me $200 more and still not guarantee I'll leave with a usable N20 tune.

I didn't get my moneys worth any way you look at this.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I was not shown any data logs. The fuel pump was suggested as a "possible cause" but nothing was definitive. In fact I was warned that I could install this upgraded pump, come back and pay another $200 and still not have a usable tune afterwards.

That's exactly what I thought. You aren't getting that treatment due to lack of money spent believe me.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
There has to be a tuner in the Chicago area that can get you straightened out. I thought you were closer to the tri-cities over in Iowa. There is a car dealer in Carol Stream that deals in quite a few exotic and nicely modded cars. I will try to find their name for you. THey may very well have someone they can refer you to.

I can't believe that there isn't someone on the site in the Chicago area that would be able to point you in the right direction. ANYONE?????

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe try Mike Post over by Rockford? IDK sounds like a mess but he is good
Dynotune MP

Mike Post has been referred to me by a few people. I'm in the middle of a big job right now so once that's done I'm going to install the new fuel pump and give him a call to set something up.

Funny thing was I went Nitrous because it was far cheaper then a supercharger. But now I'm $800 into the nitrous kit and accessories, $600 into a worthless dyno tune, $50 in travel expenses to get worthless dyno tune, $150 in nitrous itself, $180 for a fuel pump, $120 for plugs and presumably at least another $500 for a usable dyno tune.

That's $2,400 that could have gone to a Paxton or DOB setup. So I guess I'll be the billionth person with a 3V to say it.

If I had it to do over again.........:slap:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Dude you aren't the first to think you were getting ahead. We've all been there. Then when the numbers add up we say the same thing. "DOOOOH! If I could do it all over again...

See it through and get this done. Mark it up as lesson learned. Sounds like you may have a great guy to go to in Rockford. Say hi to miss thing (D. Patrick) Rockford's Princess when there. I was there on a service visit at a company once. They were going on and on about "Rockford's Princess" being in town the previous week. So I asked who they were talking about. And very sarcstically one said, "Well don't you know that this is the home of the famous race car driver Danika Patrick?" I said, "Sounds like you think as much about her as I do". The guy told me that when she's in town its a frickin' circus. The town as a whole likes it best when she's gone according to them. I'll save his adjectives he used to describe her. Not many fans in Rockford for her.

46addict

Reaction score
Mike Post has been referred to me by a few people. I'm in the middle of a big job right now so once that's done I'm going to install the new fuel pump and give him a call to set something up.

Funny thing was I went Nitrous because it was far cheaper then a supercharger. But now I'm $800 into the nitrous kit and accessories, $600 into a worthless dyno tune, $50 in travel expenses to get worthless dyno tune, $150 in nitrous itself, $180 for a fuel pump, $120 for plugs and presumably at least another $500 for a usable dyno tune.

That's $2,400 that could have gone to a Paxton or DOB setup. So I guess I'll be the billionth person with a 3V to say it.

If I had it to do over again.........:slap:
I have gone down the same route. 100 shot of nitrous was the gateway drug, then I went to 125. I came across a Procharger kit from a member on this forum and when it was done I dynoed at 11hp less than you with the nitrous, and my torque curve is anemic compared to a nitrous car. I will not be able to see the full benefits of forced induction until I drop the coin on upgraded internals, and at elevated power levels the stock trans is another weak link. At this point you start to consider keeping the 3v for sentimental reasons or sell it to fund a Coyote/Teminator. But then hp is a never ending addiction so you look at TVS/boost upgrades for the said Coyote/Termi and the cycle repeats. :roflsquared: :whistle1:

For a stock internal car, nitrous is the more cost effective way assuming you aren't getting raped on refills. The money you spent on plugs and fuel pump would have been budgeted for anyway on a supercharger setup. I don't know of any companies that provide those parts in kits that cost $6k or less.

I would agree with following through to get this done. You've got the hard parts out of the way and now you just have to find a good tuner.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back