if you adjusted your pinion angle, come in!

viciousride

Needing more power!
Reaction score
you're only looking for a appx 2* difference between the d/s and the pinion flange. so for example, if the d/s angle is 0. and the pinion flange is down -2*, you have your 2* difference. Like stated above, you want the pinion angle to be (-) because when you launch, the pinion will want to rotate positive.

From what I have read, with a 1-piece DS you should measure the difference between the transmission flange and the pinion flange.

Commbubba19

Reaction score
From what I have read, with a 1-piece DS you should measure the difference between the transmission flange and the pinion flange.

i wrote up a big thing and then realized i was being long winded.

Just remember that if you are taking into account the tranny tail shaft angle and the d/s along with the d/s to pinion flange, numbers can be manipulated.

example, +2* at the tranny flange, and -2* at the pinion is 4* seperation. Probably the max i would want. However, your goal is to keep the -2* at the pinion.

what you don't want is +1* at the tranny, and -3* at the pinion. That's still 4* different but not how we want it.

This is all assuming a level surface. If the car is on a 3* tilted surface (which isn't much), the above numbers would change, but the difference would remain the same.

If someone jsut looks at the tranny flange and pinion flange and shoot for that 4* difference, they may not have solved anything, but may even make vibration worse.

viciousride

Needing more power!
Reaction score
example, +2* at the tranny flange, and -2* at the pinion is 4* seperation. Probably the max i would want. However, your goal is to keep the -2* at the pinion.

what you don't want is +1* at the tranny, and -3* at the pinion. That's still 4* different but not how we want it.

Sorry, but I'm a little confused here. Isn't 2 - 2 = 0, and 1 - 3 = -2, or are you doing the following 2 - (-2) = 4, and 1 - (-3) = 4?

Last edited:

mrdeath2000

forum member
Reaction score
you're not doing addition & subtraction.
you are looking for the difference in the numbers. graphing them will make it easier.
-2 and +2 are 4(four) positions apart.

Commbubba19

Reaction score
Saw this pic on one of the above links. Good visual. However, I've never seen a engine/trans at a 0* angle. And obviously everyone here is shooting for a slightly negative angle at the pinion. Like i stated earlier, shimming the tranny up can help match the opposite angle of the pinion angling down so that both angles are mirrors of each other.

2joint_angle.gif

Commbubba19

Reaction score
I just keep finding more good points. On the same site this sums up everything nicely.

f your driveshaft doen't have flanges at the ends and instead has u-joint yokes, this technique may not work as well. In this case an inexpensive angle finder will do the trick. You may still need to be creative to find locations that allow you to measure the angles at the end of the shaft. See if the top or bottom of the differential or transfer case are parallel to the ends of the shaft or the u-joint yokes.
And notice that nowhere in this discussion has the actual angle of the driveshaft been mentioned. Why? Because basically it does not matter. What matters is that the two u-joints at each end of the shaft have the same angle. That exact angle would of course depend upon the angle of the shaft itself, but it is only the relative angles (or difference in angles) at each u-joint matters. So if you have a 10° driveshaft angle and 10° on the top yu-joint and say 11° on the bottom u-joint, you would have a difference of 1°. Now say the drivshaft angle were increased to 15°. Likewise say the upper u-joint angle also increases to 15° and the lower one to 16°. THe difference is still 1°, so as you can see the driveshaft angle itself has no impact on the operating angle of the u-joint themselves.

viciousride

Needing more power!
Reaction score
you're not doing addition & subtraction.
you are looking for the difference in the numbers. graphing them will make it easier.
-2 and +2 are 4(four) positions apart.

Got it, thx! :thumb2:

Saw this pic on one of the above links. Good visual. However, I've never seen a engine/trans at a 0* angle. And obviously everyone here is shooting for a slightly negative angle at the pinion. Like i stated earlier, shimming the tranny up can help match the opposite angle of the pinion angling down so that both angles are mirrors of each other.

2joint_angle.gif

Adjusting the pinion flange to match that of the trans output flange essentially makes them parallel, correct (e.g. -2 tranny flange and +2 pinion flange = 0)? So at that point all you have to do is adjust the pinion flange -1° to -2° to achieve optimal pinion angle.:idea:

Last edited:

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
did it accomplish what you wanted? i'm at +1 at the transmission flange and -2 at the pinion flange, and i've got some vibe. this is after installing 3 different shafts and rebalancing...
Did you try a Dynotech shaft???? I've had one for over a year...GREAT!!

PUNISHERSTANG

Patrolman
Reaction score
im getting ready to adjust my pinion angle after installing a 1 piece driveshaft. i guess my question is if you are adjusting the difference in angles between the tranny flange and the pinion flange why does it matter at all if the car is level? even if the angles are off your only measuring to get the pinion -2 degrees from the tranny output. please correct me if im wrong. i was going to drive the front on ramps and try to get the rear as close to the same height with jack stands by measuring so all 4 tires are the same distance from the floor.

PUNISHERSTANG

Patrolman
Reaction score
have any of you guys ever run out of adjustment trying to get the pinon the -2 from the trans? my trans is -3 and my pinion was +3, i got it to -4 and have no more adjustment on the UCA

PUNISHERSTANG

Patrolman
Reaction score
i think i answered my own question. if my trans is -3 my pinion needs to be 0 to have a total pinion angle of -3. according to soundguydaves post that is what i need. its easy to get this all mixed up

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
You need to set it for a difference of 1.5, so you went the wrong way, set it at +1.5. that way under load it will zero out.

PUNISHERSTANG

Patrolman
Reaction score
I set the pinion at +1 and the trans is- 3 and I still have the same 80mph vibrate my teeth out fun. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mrdeath2000

forum member
Reaction score
If your angles are as you mention, they are fine. did you have this vibe at 80 before switching shafts? and what all did you switch when you put in the new shaft? (gears, lca, uca, bla bla)
if not, sounds like the shaft.

PUNISHERSTANG

Patrolman
Reaction score
Just the shaft then I bought an adjustable uca to fix the vibration. Im going to get a better protractor when I get back from vacation. Im not thrilled with the piece of crap I bought from lowes

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
I have not seen a mustang with that much trans angle down. When you say that your pinion is 1* up, Is the pinion 1* above it center line(level) if so i would bring it down to 0* and see if it is better or worse, then you know the direction to adjust it

Bye the way Your PM box is full

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
i have.my mustang and my friends had the tranny at -3 degrees before i started messing with all of this.both of them had the pinnion at +3 and tranny at -3

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back