Installed BBK Ceramic Longtubes today(pics)

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
First off: I took pics, but it was hard to take all of the pictures that I wanted/needed because the working space for headers is so limited. Secondly, I need some Hot Rod Cams to complete this sound ;) With that said, here we go.

Total time spent: about 9 hours

Special tools required: 13mm socket wrench, patience

Things to look out for:

-The front O2 sensors will need to have the small tabs on their sides clipped in order to fit into the O2 sensor extenders.

-The steering shaft on the driver's side will need to be disconnected in order to remove the stock shorty header. Make sure to mark the position of it so you can put it back in the same place (pic later)

-If you have a socket wrench with a pivoting head, use it. There are a lot of hard to reach spaces that you need a tool like this to reach. Also, socket wrench extensions come in handy.

I did NOT have to jack up the motor or remove the starter. I was using a lift so you may have to if you don't have access to a lift.

A few pictures from the install:

A shot of the top bolts on the passenger side that need to be removed:

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

A shot of the steering shaft on the driver's side. You can also see 2 of the bottom bolts that have already had the nuts removed.

Untitled-2.jpg

Steering shaft disconnected:

photobucket-9231-1337315521470.jpg

Stock headers are out:

photobucket-7302-1337315634315.jpg

photobucket-4928-1337315697934.jpg

BBK Ceramics are in:

photobucket-9342-1337315465834.jpg

X pipe connected, bottom side finished(we had to cut and re-weld the exhaust hangers because of poor placement):

photobucket-597-1337315400718.jpg

And finally, a startup vid. We started it up once before but realized we hadn't torqued a bolt down and there was noticeable exhaust leakage.

I will try and make a good exhaust video soon, but I can tell you now it's awesome. It's relatively quiet under normal driving circumstances but as soon as you hit it, it's extremely aggressive.

It's been a long day and I didn't get a chance to test it out much, but I think it was definitely worth it. If I can do this, anyone can.

Last edited:

2008PHANTOM

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds good! Ill be doing the LT install soon, hopefully I can get some lift time in at a friends house. I did a LT install on my 94 years back but it had loads of room compared to our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
I forgot another tip: use gloves! About half of the bolts are easy to get to, another 4 are medium difficulty, and the last 4 require above average puzzle-solving ability to reach. Buy your friend a case of beer and have him help you for sure. Having at least one other person to talk to while working makes it a lot easier and more enjoyable.

2008PHANTOM

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a damn good idea! Maybe he'll even share a few with me lol

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
Let me know how that goes! Next stop for me is Hot Rod Cams if I can find any. Then I'm gonna go get dynoed and see where i'm at.

2008PHANTOM

forum member
Reaction score
That's funny say that, I was just about to pull the trigger on some hot rods on eBay and I found the steal on here with the kooks LT's & x pipe and bought them instead. I was watching a set of gently used HR's on eBay...they went for $515 shipped! I figured I'd save more money going with the kooks but I still want those freakin cams lol.

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
That's funny say that, I was just about to pull the trigger on some hot rods on eBay and I found the steal on here with the kooks LT's & x pipe and bought them instead. I was watching a set of gently used HR's on eBay...they went for $515 shipped! I figured I'd save more money going with the kooks but I still want those freakin cams lol.

when was this? what search terms did you use? damn! :s

2008PHANTOM

forum member
Reaction score
I put in the FRPP part # M-6550-3V and found it. Just checked on eBay again, there is three posted but at full retail or more.

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
Well thanks! I will now search that at least twice a day in hopes of a used set popping up. Sad, but very true. I refuse to have a set pop up and sell under my nose!

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I had two friends helping............but we didnt have a lift. LOL

Glad you got them in there dude. Installing headers is a badge of honor in these cars.:beerchug2:

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I want to go test them out and see what the butt dyno tells me! I have a few scratches on my arms and my head has several bumps from hitting the transmission, exhaust, etc. but I think it was worth it for the learning experience!

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Oh hell yes. My two buddies and I were all cut up. We will never forget that Easter weekend. LOL My ETs dropped two tenths after the headers. You will be faster.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice install! Do you need to adjust your tune for just the headers?

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks man! I'm about to go ride around and see how it feels :D I called in and had Bama make a new one just to be safe. I would think that the increased airflow could cause the car to run lean if the tune wasn't adjusted.

tmcneace

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds great, thanks for all the pictures and videos. Makes me excited about ordering my headers soon.

tmcneace

forum member
Reaction score
I am currently a mechanic on my boat (which is a coast guard ice breaker)...so if i don't do the work myself it makes me feel like a POS. I will definitely be doing the work myself. I'll post pics and vids of the job as soon as i do. Glad to see yours done! Congrats.

Barricade

Decepticon Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Nice lift & write up. Good info. Thanks!

I bet that X makes a huge diff....?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back