Installed the MGW Shifter yesterday

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
Well, Ryan did all the work while I drank his beer, ate his food and trashed his laptops! Works like a champ and is a huge improvement over stock. The springs are definitely stiff but not bad and the shifter definitely does the 2 to 3 shift with ease.

If I was GRAYPNY with a Pro5.0 shifter, I would really be jonesin for a MGW. :leghump:

Thanks Ryan!! I'm a punk but at least I know how to occupy space and keep you out of trouble with the wife! :clap:

Larmo

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
did you stick with OEM shifter knob or did you go with one of the new MGW knobs?

Clay

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 on the MGW. I absolutely love mine. Not too notchy, just a smooth shifter. I have never missed a gear with it.

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
I kept the stock shift knob. I have the premier trim package with the big phallic aluminum shifter. If you are going to reuse the stock shift knob then you can take off the knob and boot/bezel as a single piece. Saves you the trouble of taking them apart that is shown in the MGW instructions as they assume you'll switch to their shift knob.

shatter

White And Nerdy
Reaction score
I went with 4.75 turns out since a lot of people reported they liked something in the 5 turn range and the shifter as low as possible. Problem was it was so low that 4th gear wasn't engaging fully. :) So I raised it a little bit to clear the shifter body and re-set it there.

Basically, I don't drive the car very often so I don't have any real impressions to share with you at this point. I am going to drive it tomorrow to work so I'll have something more to share after that.

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine should get here next week hopefully...MGW has been giving me the ...some parts are back ordered, there at the machine shop, their at the platers, were putting them together for almost 3 weeks now...

When I get it I was planning on going with the full 10 turns and lowest for the shortest throw possible. Did you have problems going with more turns? is that why you went with 4.75?

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Love the MGW shifter. I had the Hurst and the Pro 5.0, and the MGW is much smoother in my opinion. Hurst gave me missed shifts like you read about but it was a super short throw which alsot made it very notchy, 5.0 was very notchy, like chambering a bolt action rifle. MGW is smooth and good neutral finder, no 2nd to 3rd missed shifts. Tad stiffer than stock, but then again, the stock shifter feels like a limp noodle.

MGW fit and finish is much better than the other two. You feel like you are getting a hand crafted piece of mechanical art when you are unpacking it. Lots of sound deadening material too. The Pro 5.0 transmitted noise into the cockpit like that was part of it's job.

I've got mine set 6 turns out and all the way up with the Gripper. Love it. I got one of the first ones, so they sent out different strength 'neutral finder springs' and a beefed up shifting linkage/throw length elbow, but I haven't swapped them out yet.

The MGW just blows the others away in adjustability, not only can you adjust knob height and throw, you can even adjust it a little left or right to center it where you want it, even change out the springs for stiffer or softer in neutral feel, which does affect the 2nd to 3rd shift.

Sorry to toot the MGW horn, I just love that shifter.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back