Is my Clutch Toast???

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
My car is not holding the power while its in gear. If I have the car say in 4th gear at 2k, step on it, the tach will raise crazy fast. Then the car will catch, tach drops, and I smell clutch. Is this a sign that my clutch is toast or something else?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You're clutch is toast (hopefully temporarily), if you drive around normally for a while you may be able to wear the glaze off, try it for a day or two see if you notice a difference. I glazed my clutch a bit when I first got my car, a few hours of normal driving and it was back to normal and grabbing again.

Don't continue to "test" the slipping btw it will just make the damage irreversible.

Last edited:

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
You're clutch is toast (hopefully temporarily), if you drive around normally for a while you may be able to wear the glaze off, try it for a day or two see if you notice a difference. I glazed my clutch a bit when I first got my car, a few hours of normal driving and it was back to normal and grabbing again.

Don't continue to "test" the slipping btw it will just make the damage irreversible.

Well I have 9,600 miles on the car. I did test the slipping a few times today. I'll drive it normally to Carlisle tomorrow and see what happens.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Well I have 9,600 miles on the car. I did test the slipping a few times today. I'll drive it normally to Carlisle tomorrow and see what happens.
Yea let it relax you don't have many miles at all you probably just glazed it. I wouldn't check to see if it slips for about two days if I were you lol
You need some on and off driving, stop lights, gear changes etc going on a long road trip won't do anything.

blacknlte

Reaction score

TOASTED!!!

Either try to have it warrantied or call Lethal and talk to Matt (tell him Alan sent you) and hell hook you up on a McLeod RXT clutch setup. You can throw all the power at it, plus it drive like stock!

strongs_2009

Reaction score
Its gone... I am using the spec stage 5 I havent had a single issue with it to this point its holding all the power i can give it.

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
Its gone... I am using the spec stage 5 I havent had a single issue with it to this point its holding all the power i can give it.

How is it in everyday driving? My car is a street car first and foremost.

I dropped the car off at the dealer today. I don't think I was safe to drive it up to Carlisle for the Ford Nationals. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
Did you try the litmus test of driving 35 to 40 MPH then shifting to 5th and flooring it? If the RPM shoots up, then your clutch might be in trouble but if your RPMs stay the same or drop slightly, then your clutch is okay.

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
I talked to the dealer today. They said the clutch is considered a wear item and might not be under warranty. I can't believe the clutch isn't covered for at least the first 3/36.....

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Clutch is never covered from my knowledge, unless of course there is a TSB like there was on some 07-08 model GT500s (iirc)

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No matter the mileage?

nope... too easy for abuse to have caused a failure... not saying it's right... just the way it is... brakes and tires as well.

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
nope... too easy for abuse to have caused a failure... not saying it's right... just the way it is... brakes and tires as well.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT with bolt ons and 56k on it. The clutch is just as good as day one. I drive my car spirited at times. Ford shows these cars doing the same driving yet for some reseason mine can't hold up. It's got to be a defective unit.

blacknlte

Reaction score
I talked to the dealer today. They said the clutch is considered a wear item and might not be under warranty. I can't believe the clutch isn't covered for at least the first 3/36.....

Its worth a shot to see if theyll cover it, so now just get you one that will last longer then a few thousand miles lol

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Mustang GT with bolt ons and 56k on it. The clutch is just as good as day one. I drive my car spirited at times. Ford shows these cars doing the same driving yet for some reseason mine can't hold up. It's got to be a defective unit.

not saying it isn't defective, as you said the dealer told you, it may be covered. IMHO and experience it's just against the odds. I'd try it though. My old dealer (closed now) covered a tranny rebuild on my 06 with the blower on the car.

mike castaldo

forum member
Reaction score
safe to say your clutch is gone.. could have burn it up.. or glazed the flywheel. makeing it slip..

strongs_2009

Reaction score
How is it in everyday driving? My car is a street car first and foremost.

I dropped the car off at the dealer today. I don't think I was safe to drive it up to Carlisle for the Ford Nationals. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

I drive mine all over on the street I havent had a single issue with it. I think its has more give in it then people say it does as far as play in it.

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the dealer this morning. The service manager said the clutch is all burnt up and they can't find anything mechanically wrong that caused it. They are going to call Ford and get back to me. I'm not feeling good about this...

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Sounds like you are going to have to cough it up for the clutch.
I really think "testing" the slipping after it started slipping put the nail in the coffin, especially at high RPM.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back