Koni Sport dampers and Evolution driving school..

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I dunno. But they work okay. (All stock suspension with A6s. Left front in the air). Been trying to convert to Street class from Stock. Ugh! No more Purple crack = no more traction. Like trying to learn to drive on ice. Help me find a Hoosier with 200 tread wear!
picture.php

RE-71R

lost won

Reaction score
RE-71Rs, etc.

Uh, Huh. Too late for me, this time.

Back in Feb. I tried to find some Hankook RS-3s. No joy. Backordered.

Finally bought some Dunlop ZII SSs, because I needed something better than stock Pirellis right THEN. The ZIIs are working okay for now; while I build up some experience running on street tires. Maybe I'll experiment with some RE-71Rs when I relearn how to drive without Hoosiers. Got my hands full with BMW M3s and Camaro 1LEs. It's challenging. I'll either learn something I don't already know, or fill out the field for the rest of the year.

I'm going to finally tighten up the Mustang a bit, with OTS Koni Sports and some fresh LSD clutches. Maybe an adjustable front bar. Looks like most of the improvement has got to come from inside the helmet.....maybe time for an Evo Phase two, or something.

Congrats on the Dixie, and thanks for your continuing remarks on the web, Sam. Keep on!

Stay tuned. Best Regards.
John

lost won

Reaction score
RE71Rs

Just perused the Texas Tour F Street results.. Wow.

If those Bridgestones were RE-71Rs, Sam; you nailed it. But then I kinda knew that. Seems the Bridgestones are popping up all over. Guess I gotta get me sum. They'll probably be on backorder by the time I'm ready to buy...

Thanks for the suggestion!

John

LRS197

forum member
Reaction score
Rival S

This is my first post on this site as I recently joined. I'm an old time autoxer and have driven in many classes from stock to modified. My Mustang will be in CAMC this year but on old ZII's. I was at the College Station tour but in a STR S2000. We were on the new Rival S. That was my first time in the S2000 so I don't have experience compared to the RS3V2 or the new Bridgestone. I was impressed with the lateral grip in the dry with the Rival S in weather that was cooler on Saturday and dry / damp / wet on Sunday. We ran first heat. The Rival's were fine in damp but definitely did not like the standing water. In the wet the car owner thought the RS3V2 would have been better but has not driven on the RE71R. Fun weekend. Fun courses.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Aaaand.... for those who are interested, I got the dyno plots back for the stock Track Package dampers.

Front:

F Shock.jpg

(PDF: View attachment F Shock.pdf)

Rear:

R Shock.jpg

(PDF: View attachment R Shock.pdf)

I don't know if their plots of the Konis (full soft and full hard) are accurate or not. I'd have to compare them against the original plots. I'm interested to see what people who know how to read these things better than I can think about the differences.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The Koni plots look to be reasonably similar - though I only looked at the max trace (the light green min trace is too faint for me to work with at least on the screen, but I think it's pretty close to the OE curves).

What I think I'm reading is that the OE rebound curves head off toward a better ride/less control compromise at a little over 2 in/sec, which is likely where a stiffer than OE spring will operate at least more frequently.

Norm

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
The Koni plots look to be reasonably similar - though I only looked at the max trace (the light green min trace is too faint for me to work with at least on the screen, but I think it's pretty close to the OE curves).

I provided PDF files that might prove easier for you to examine. If that's what you were looking at already then I can probably manipulate the images to change the green color to something easier to see. Just let me know if that would be helpful and I'll be happy to accommodate.

What I think I'm reading is that the OE rebound curves head off toward a better ride/less control compromise at a little over 2 in/sec, which is likely where a stiffer than OE spring will operate at least more frequently.

What's interesting is that the Konis ride MUCH better than the stock dampers. The stock dampers made small impacts feel "rubbery" or something. Maybe because they underdamped the higher speed motions? If that's not it, then I suppose it's possible that such a thing won't show up on the dyno plot, which would leave me wondering how one can derive the ride quality from something that is objectively measurable. After all, ride quality is in the end just a matter of physics (here, minimization of cabin motion over bumps, though the passenger's sensitivity to that motion surely varies with frequency).

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The .pdf's are a lot easier to read. For quick looks on screen maybe a dark green would work better here (17" HP touch-screen capable laptop, if that matters).

Those aren't the only kind of damper plots. Force loop plots might be useful to have.

Norm

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
The .pdf's are a lot easier to read. For quick looks on screen maybe a dark green would work better here (17" HP touch-screen capable laptop, if that matters).

Fixed.

Those aren't the only kind of damper plots. Force loop plots might be useful to have.

I'll see if I can get the raw data for these. That way I'll be able to generate whatever plots I want, as well as supply the raw data to you guys so you can analyze it however you like.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back