Kooks knockoffs

deputyperk

forum member
Reaction score
OBX yes, and no they are not affiliated with OBX but they do come from the same plant in china.

I am real big into china pitbikes, theres only like 2 plants in china that build them all of the different versions of pitbikes.

much like automotive exhaust components, all the made in china companies overe here that get supplied from china have exhaust components that come from the same plant in china.

obx, tuning pros, megan, pypes, all of them come from the same plant in china. those shorty headers for out cars on ebay for 150 shipped, are that of the same exact quality, materials, welds, and craftmenship (which is really good actually) are identical to my pypes headers (which i love btw)

a friend bought them for his GT when i showed him, he bought them and they came un marked or stamped packaged in a nice box, but material, welds, everything down to the hardware was the exact same as my pypes.

emailed the seller back and told him they were better than expected and he said he imports car parts all the time, gave us the name of the plant and upon google searching i found they supply pypes with there stuff, also saw megan and obx on the list.

not saying its bad, i am a fan of the china based stuff, i hate when people say made in china junk. if my fat ass can hit a 25 foot double on my made in china pitbike and not fall apart, i am a fan! i would put my made in china pypes headers againsted any made in USA header any day of the week

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
OBX yes, and no they are not affiliated with OBX but they do come from the same plant in china.

I am real big into china pitbikes, theres only like 2 plants in china that build them all of the different versions of pitbikes.

much like automotive exhaust components, all the made in china companies overe here that get supplied from china have exhaust components that come from the same plant in china.

obx, tuning pros, megan, pypes, all of them come from the same plant in china. those shorty headers for out cars on ebay for 150 shipped, are that of the same exact quality, materials, welds, and craftmenship (which is really good actually) are identical to my pypes headers (which i love btw)

a friend bought them for his GT when i showed him, he bought them and they came un marked or stamped packaged in a nice box, but material, welds, everything down to the hardware was the exact same as my pypes.

emailed the seller back and told him they were better than expected and he said he imports car parts all the time, gave us the name of the plant and upon google searching i found they supply pypes with there stuff, also saw megan and obx on the list.

not saying its bad, i am a fan of the china based stuff, i hate when people say made in china junk. if my fat ass can hit a 25 foot double on my made in china pitbike and not fall apart, i am a fan! i would put my made in china pypes headers againsted any made in USA header any day of the week

It reminds me of my time in the car stereo world when you find out there are only a few companies that make amplifiers. And that some of the cheaper brands use the exact same internals with a different case. In fact it happens a lot in the home stereo world, there was a big expose a few years ago where a high end company was using the exact same internals in there cheap models as there high end models.

95PreludeSi

Reaction score
Plenty of folks who run their headers without a single issue. I wouldn't blow it out of proportion.
You missed the point completely. Do you want to purchase parts from companies that copy parts, steal technology, don't stand behind their product, and put nothing in to RnD? Or do you want to support the companies that help drive innovation and make quality products. Your call.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
You missed the point completely. Do you want to purchase parts from companies that copy parts, steal technology, don't stand behind their product, and put nothing in to RnD? Or do you want to support the companies that help drive innovation and make quality products. Your call.

I got it. You missed mine. It is a non-moving part. Chances of failure are slim to none.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score

I want to be able to choose who I do business with...its not like we are talking about cams or cylinder heads here.

deputyperk

forum member
Reaction score
yea, there just bent pipes and flanges. no rocket science here. i understand it sucks when a company steals a design and copies it. but hey theres been that since the begining of time.

ill personally buy china stuff if it has a good rep, hence why i bought pypes headers.

i ran a megan turbo back on my vw and it fit better than GHL which was an american company, and i say this cause i installed 2 other turbo back systems for friends. my made in china fit 100 times better and was 304, not 409 like theirs, plus mine was 450 bux cheaper.

carbd86gt

Lethal Performance
Reaction score
Kooks cats falling apart have more to do with tuning then product quality. If the car is making a lot of power, Kooks will recommend NOT using cats and they will tell you up front that you may have issues. Jon Lund, our tuner, has told me the same thing. This is not a Kooks only thing, it's an EVERY exhaust manufacturer thing.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
Kooks cats falling apart have more to do with tuning then product quality. If the car is making a lot of power, Kooks will recommend NOT using cats and they will tell you up front that you may have issues. Jon Lund, our tuner, has told me the same thing. This is not a Kooks only thing, it's an EVERY exhaust manufacturer thing.

+1, I've blown a few high dollar cats out on a dyno with forced induction cars. Factory tuning tries very hard to protect those cats from misfires/raw fuel, not many cats will live long with a 1000hp 11:1 a/f forced induction engine.

Not sure what the circumstances of the kooks cats falling apart is, and I'm sure kooks doesnt manufacture the substrate so who knows.

STEWIE

Reaction score
+1, I've blown a few high dollar cats out on a dyno with forced induction cars. Factory tuning tries very hard to protect those cats from misfires/raw fuel, not many cats will live long with a 1000hp 11:1 a/f forced induction engine.

Not sure what the circumstances of the kooks cats falling apart is, and I'm sure kooks doesnt manufacture the substrate so who knows.

Exactly! Stainless Works told me the same thing when i got my headers. High flow cats just can't handle boosted or injected cars because of pressure and temperature.

deputyperk

forum member
Reaction score
maybe true, but I have owned a few high HP turbo cars and never had a magnaflow/carsound cat go bad like kooks does with their NA setups.

same here, never seen any FI guys with magnaflow/carsound mid pipes gernade a cat

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly! Stainless Works told me the same thing when i got my headers. High flow cats just can't handle boosted or injected cars because of pressure and temperature.

Don't forget fat tune nitrous cars as well.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
There needs to be a bullshit filter on these threads so one can read the important stuff without having to filter through the........bullshit.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back