Labor prices on motor swap?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Little hint. Next time you want good support on your question. Give us all the info. Saying it "is funny" idling and getting a quote for an engine swap is a bit extreme.
Tell us EVERYTHING that even might be relevant, and what has been done to fix so far, and any effect it has had if any.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Little hint. Next time you want good support on your question. Give us all the info. Saying it "is funny" idling and getting a quote for an engine swap is a bit extreme.
Tell us EVERYTHING that even might be relevant, and what has been done to fix so far, and any effect it has had if any.
My original question was basically would an engine swap be cheaper than this ticket. The point of this wasn’t to get an on forum diagnostic. Everybody kept asking about the issue and I elaborated as much as I could as I have been busy. But yes the car has issues that need to be addressed but the valve train doesn’t need to be run thru for those reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The car is throwing some crank/cam position codes, as well as a few others off hand. The usual fix is alternator/battery/charge cable. Other fixes are vct solenoids and plugs. Well I’ve already done all of that and the only other thing it could be is timing chain components. Now this is expected and I’ve known it would probably be this. If the quote from the shop was only what I need instead of anything else valvetrain that we haven’t discussed then it’d be fine but it’s not. The ticket he ran is way too expensive and there’s multiple motors around my location for around 900-1100.

The estimate isn't high, if you don't want the other parts tell him instead of trying to make out like you're being ripped off. No one is trying to fuck you, the next time you come here looking for conformation why don't you start with the whole story?

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
The estimate isn't high, if you don't want the other parts tell him instead of trying to make out like you're being ripped off. No one is trying to **** you, the next time you come here looking for conformation why don't you start with the whole story?
I agree, but it isn’t important. My original post was asking if it’d be cheaper to go new motor rather than pay the estimate. The fact remains he including labor prices and part prices for parts I did not need and he never discussed with me. He had my car for two weeks and drove it to town once to do testing. But my first post was asking simply about how much a motor swap would be. If I wanted the forums opinion on whether the guy was f***ing me or not then I would’ve included the whole story, but that’s not what this post was about.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
And when I say estimate is high, I mean higher than the price of another complete working motor without issues. If you can replace something for less money than fixing it, ITS HIGH.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
And when I say estimate is high, I mean higher than the price of another complete working motor without issues. If you can replace something for less money than fixing it, ITS HIGH.

Not really, once you consider miles and the quality of your engine and realize all of these engines need these parts replaced at some point you'll get tired of swapping engines. These things are hardly ever text book, meaning you can purchase that LKQ engine but if the timing guides are worn out or it needs phasers you will still be doing those services to the replacement engine on top of all the other stuff you aren't factoring in like fluids, plugs, broken parts, hoses, etc.
So you could replace your engine with unknown used engine X over a wear item or you could fix your car and do some upgrades, sounds like dude was on the right path for your needs. These cars are known for valve train failure, this sounds like the opportunity to rule that sort of future failure out of your life.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Not really, once you consider miles and the quality of your engine and realize all of these engines need these parts replaced at some point you'll get tired of swapping engines. These things are hardly ever text book, meaning you can purchase that LKQ engine but if the timing guides are worn out or it needs phasers you will still be doing those services to the replacement engine on top of all the other stuff you aren't factoring in like fluids, plugs, broken parts, hoses, etc.
So you could replace your engine with unknown used engine X over a wear item or you could fix your car and do some upgrades, sounds like dude was on the right path for your needs. These cars are known for valve train failure, this sounds like the opportunity to rule that sort of future failure out of your life.
Yeah I completely get that, but that amount of money isn’t in the books right now. And honestly the only reason it’s in the shop instead of changing the timing components out myself is fear of a chipped tooth/metal getting into the oil pan and so on. 1100 for an engine that doesn’t need repair right now is better than a 2400 ticket for repairs on a motor worth less than that. I plan on doing a bottom end sometime next year and a loan will take care of the common wear items and I’ll tackle others as they come up. But the 2400 is out of the question whether they need it or not. The fact remains me and the shop never discussed doing valve train. But I for sure see what you’re saying. It’s just out of the question right now.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Guys, his signature says he has cams...so assuming some sort of aftermarket cam. That's where the valve springs come in at. Even if he has car show cams (hot rods, rockers, thumpers), might as well replace with good valve springs instead of stock. And now after finding more info out, that shop isn't doing anything wrong...in fact he's probably right.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Guys, his signature says he has cams...so assuming some sort of aftermarket cam. That's where the valve springs come in at. Even if he has car show cams (hot rods, rockers, thumpers), might as well replace with good valve springs instead of stock. And now after finding more info out, that shop isn't doing anything wrong...in fact he's probably right.
Not sure how many times we have to have to convo. The shop never consulted me about changing anything other than timing chain components. The shop was not told to go in to the valve train and mess around. The cams haven’t had enough miles to kill the springs although with certain mileage some will fight. The whole point of this post was not to discuss whether the shop was shite, but about an engine replacement. I do agree that valve springs and retainers and so on would be necessary at a certain point but that wasn’t his job and what was required to fix the job. The car was took into the shop with a problem, the problem doesn’t require going into the heads what so ever. Completely invalid to suggest otherwise.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Personally I don’t have a bad word to say about the shop other than how long it took them to drive the car to see the problem. They said to bring the car by at a certain date and they’d get into and instead took two weeks to drive it for 30 minutes. They confirmed what I told them and also seen the different fuel tables from bank to bank. The price on labor for what the shop is, is still high. The shop isn’t the highest of quality, but they work on 3v’s, which is why I was comfortable taking it there. I only heard bad things about them locally after the car was already there. I was unhappy the fact that they wanted to get into the heads and screw around but I’m sure it needs it eventually. The reason I’m picking up the car is because it’s too much money for what it’s worth and another engine will last long enough to get by for what I need. It won’t last forever but the $2400.00 ticket doesn’t seem like a necessity.

46addict

Reaction score
I’ve recently came across some issues with my 3v motor. Running strange at low rpms. Diagnostic tests from a shop says fuel trims look different bank to bank.
I had the same problem with my car and it turned out to be a bad upstream o2 sensor and an exhaust leak at the header collector. Aftermarket or not, exhaust manifolds can develop a crack and leak, or have sealing issues at the collector.

Another possibility is a clogged injector or two on the leaner bank but before money is spent on injectors I would smoke test the car to make sure it's free of vacuum or exhaust leaks.

This also could be valvetrain related but IMO you should rule out easy stuff first before looking at disassembling the engine. Stock parts last a while when properly cared for so I find it unlikely that your timing suddenly went bad.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my car and it turned out to be a bad upstream o2 sensor and an exhaust leak at the header collector. Aftermarket or not, exhaust manifolds can develop a crack and leak, or have sealing issues at the collector.

Another possibility is a clogged injector or two on the leaner bank but before money is spent on injectors I would smoke test the car to make sure it's free of vacuum or exhaust leaks.

This also could be valvetrain related but IMO you should rule out easy stuff first before looking at disassembling the engine. Stock parts last a while when properly cared for so I find it unlikely that your timing suddenly went bad.
Injectors, o2’s and valve train upgrade is still a lot of money to try and rule this out imo.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What happens if you swap motors and the same problem shows up?
Would that not suck to have swapped a motor and found out it is an O2 sensor, a clogged injector, or something silly like that?

Even if this is a failure somewhere between the chains, tensioners, and phasers, why not get him to re-quote without the limiters and valve springs? Or if you do want to do valve springs, why not one of the drop-in replacements from TFS or others that are priced lower than the comp stuff?

Sounds like you are dead set on doing an engine swap so there is not much point in trying to talk you out of it but that seems ridiculous to me.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
What happens if you swap motors and the same problem shows up?
Would that not suck to have swapped a motor and found out it is an O2 sensor, a clogged injector, or something silly like that?

Even if this is a failure somewhere between the chains, tensioners, and phasers, why not get him to re-quote without the limiters and valve springs? Or if you do want to do valve springs, why not one of the drop-in replacements from TFS or others that are priced lower than the comp stuff?

Sounds like you are dead set on doing an engine swap so there is not much point in trying to talk you out of it but that seems ridiculous to me.
In my mind, if I chase this down with all that work and still nothing then I’m even deeper into this with a motor worth less than the repair bills.

46addict

Reaction score
What people are saying is the new motor could develop problems too and then the rabbit hole continues. At least with the current motor you already know what you're dealing with.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score

Yep same thing happened to me. I had a header collector bolt snap and it started throwing a lean code. I put in a new O2 sensor for nothing when I crawled up under there and saw what it was.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I don't understand why you don't get a 2nd opinion if you have no faith in the current shop, if you replace the engine and it's an o2 issue or some ancellary part you won't have accomplished shit. I'll leave you with this, we say it in the custom car world to customers every day..."there is never enough money to do it right the first time, but there is always enough money to do it twice".

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Yep same thing happened to me. I had a header collector bolt snap and it started throwing a lean code. I put in a new O2 sensor for nothing when I crawled up under there and saw what it was.
The codes the car are throwing, and the way the car jumps and skips is all pointing to something in the front cover from all the places I’ve read about or watched videos on. The only codes it is throwing are codes that point directly towards this. I just don’t wanna get 3 grand tied up in this $800 motor trying to run this down. I agree it could be something stupid and once it’s back in my hands an o2 swap and plug swap is nothing since the plugs have been out before. But honestly if that doesn’t fix it it’s coming out

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back