Liquid Mercury Paint - Whats your opinion?

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
So, when i purchased my FR500s, I really wanted black chrome but settle for flat black because i heard a lot of bad things about the black chrome wheels peeling after a year or so. Ive been quite satisfied with my wheels since i bought them a year or so ago, but recently i got a wild hair up my ass to start changing things up again. I bought some of this effects paint called "Liquid Mercury" on ebay just to check it out. It's supposed to spray on over a black base coat to give it an effect similar to black chrome. Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nismo-Wheel..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item43b445a986&vxp=mtr

Anyway, I decided to test it out on one of my stock wheels that I previously painted gloss black. Here's the result:

The one on the left here is the stock wheel with just the gloss black paint on it the one on the right is sprayed with the liquid mercury

IMG_0448_zpsef15387c.jpg

IMG_0450_zps5e17bcfd.jpg

IMG_0449_zpscc541b5a.jpg

It comes out somewhere in between Black chrome and gunmetal. Not quite as much of a chrome mirror look, but more reflective and complex then gunmetal. What do you guys think?

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
yeah it doesnt look bad. if the color is uniform looking all over it(i cant tell in the pics if its light in areas) then i say go for it, cause black is starting to be played out. i have black myself so i can sat that.

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah its uniform, it just looks different depending what angle you catch it from. Sometimes it looks more black, sometimes it looks more gunmetal. I'm kinda feelin the same about black these days as well.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As long as it lasts, that's pretty awesome. Might have to go this route one day.

Is there anywhere to get it cheaper or in smaller quantities than that ebay link? I doubt you'd need a gallon for a set of wheels.

Last edited:

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
The above ebay link is the price for 8oz. Its a very small bottle. They say its enough for 8 wheels but i don't see it doing more then 4. Its pretty expensive but worth it in my opinion. I bought the paint that I used to paint those stock wheels gloss black from the same company and that stuff blew me away. Its SOOOOO Glossy. It looks amazing. And its tough as nails, almost as tough as powder coating. Strongest wheel paint ive ever come across. So im pretty confident in this stuff as well.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't even click the link, lol. I figured that was the same link I had found doing a Google search. $55 doesn't seem too bad if you can get 4 wheels out of it.

Higgy

forum member
Reaction score
I like it. Just different enough to set it apart from the standard gun metal / graphite colours out there.

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
I would throw these stock wheels on the car to see what they look like, but they won't clear my Brembo's :(. I'm pretty sure at this point im going to do this to my FR-500s so once I do that, I'll be sure to post some pictures.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back