• Hooker LT Headers

Votes: 5 7.2%

• Total voters

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am looking into Headers and not sure the direction to go,
Shortys are worthless so Long tubes are it. But I live in Virginia
and we have Emissions inspections by ODBII and Visual for Cats.

I am looking for Power but will I get it with LT and Cats?

Price is also a factor, Income tax return is small this year since I was unemployed for 5 months last year so it's a consideration. I also Have MAC Mufflers so I am still looking for the low rumble and not too loud,

What Power increase have you seen and quality of pipes after a few months.

Here is the List..

ARH LT Cats H-Pipe or X-Pipe ($1,395.00)Complete Kit
Kooks LT ($933.90) Cats H-Pipe or X-Pipe ($515.00) ($1448.95) Complete Kit
JBA LT ($999.95) Cats H-Pipe or X-Pipe ($499.95) ($1499.90) Complete Kit
Mac 3/4 ($445.55 ) Cats H-Pipe or X-Pipe ($417.53) ($863.08) Complete Kit
Bassani LT ($1,132.89) Cats H-Pipe or X-Pipe ($420.75) ($1553.64) Complete Kit
BBK LT ($515.41)Cats H-Pipe or X-Pipe ($351.97) ($867.38) Complete Kit
SLP LT ($890.95) Cats H-Pipe or X-Pipe ($504.85) ($1395.80) Complete Kit
Borla LT Cats H-Pipe or X-Pipe ($1,182.99)Complete Kit need custom cats (300 extra)
Hooker LT ($699.95) Cats H-Pipe or X-Pipe ($515.00) ($1214.95) Complete Kit
Stainless Works H-Pipe or X-Pipe ($1,500.00)Complete Kit
OBX LT Header H-Pipe or X-Pipe ($515.00) Complete Kit

Last edited:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If price were not a consideration I would have voted for the ARH longtubes but since cats are required and you are looking for value I will say go JBA.
I'm running a set of titanium coated JBA's and the ground clearance with cats is just as good as stock.

That being said a set of firmer engine mounts will be required to keep the headers from rubbing against the steering shaft during right turns.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am running Kooks with their cats. Absolutely no complaints with them. Plus they are 304 stainless. They ain't going to rust out.

flounderlipps

forum member
Reaction score
I have the SLPs with the catted x pipe
The cats hang low and scrape sometimes on speed bumps and driveway entrances.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I had FRPP shorty headers and dyno'd before & after - they added a whopping 3 RWHP.

I just recently switched to Kook L/Ts with an off road X-Pipe. Fit & finish was perfect. These headers are actually a mid length header, not a true L/T like ARH and some others.

I'm sure you would be pleased with either the Kooks or ARH but both are rather pricey. That being said, it's no more pricey that buying shorties and having to pull them back off because they don't add any significant HP increase.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I JUST got the titanium coated JBA longtubes and stainless uncatted h-pipe for $739 SHIPPED. I figure you need cats so add a few hundred to that. My point is that the deal was way below anything I've ever seen for this brand header. PM me if interested and I'll send you the info that I got from the dealer.

Mine get installed next week--will be selling my BBK shorties and Bassani catted x-pipe...

John

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Scott, I had this convo with several pro-shops and pro racers/builders. After doing a ton of research and getting recommendations, I went with the ARH. I can't tell you how they are working on an NA car yet. They are still sitting at AA until I get the cash for the custom cut-out work.

I remember you have a repair you are trying to do, if that's the case, don't wait for me. I plan I having them dropped in when I get back from vaca at the end of March. I can swing by the house and you can see how they sound. Maybe I can book a dyno tune/pull session with those guys in Fairfax again so we can get some NA numbers after just a headers swap.

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm a fain of the stainless works ones myself, following that I like the kooks.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm a fain of the stainless works ones myself, following that I like the kooks.
Todd, is that what you are going with on your 5.4 build?
I have not heard of them, do you have a link?

Did you go to the "Get out of the Cold" at MIR? I was wondering is anyone from the Collective went.

Scott, I had this convo with several pro-shops and pro racers/builders. After doing a ton of research and getting recommendations, I went with the ARH. I can't tell you how they are working on an NA car yet. They are still sitting at AA until I get the cash for the custom cut-out work.

I remember you have a repair you are trying to do, if that's the case, don't wait for me. I plan I having them dropped in when I get back from vaca at the end of March. I can swing by the house and you can see how they sound. Maybe I can book a dyno tune/pull session with those guys in Fairfax again so we can get some NA numbers after just a headers swap.
Marc,
What did they Cost you?

Yea, the E Manifold is still cracked so the car still sits.

A few of you suggested Engine Mounts, What Brand and How much?

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Retail is $1300+. I got them for $1100. Headers, cats, and x pipe were included.

Mick Mach

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I went with KOOKS just because I got a great buy on them! I have the catted X but we dont have emissions out here! sweet :) 2k05gt Boss281 vbmenu_register("postmenu_70631", true); marcspaz vbmenu_register("postmenu_70638", true); you guys ever make it to Mason-Dixon? MIR is a drive for me.....I get there a few times a year.
goin to M-D several times this year.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
2k05gt and I are members of the Northern Virginia Mustang Club. We will be going with the club a couple of times this year.

I have heard that MD gets very busy. Some people say they have only made 1 or 2 runs after being there all day. Any feed back from you on that? If there is a chance of getting a few runs in, I would be up for meeting there.

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2k05gt and I are members of the Northern Virginia Mustang Club. We will be going with the club a couple of times this year.

I have heard that MD gets very busy. Some people say they have only made 1 or 2 runs after being there all day. Any feed back from you on that? If there is a chance of getting a few runs in, I would be up for meeting there.

On a standard test and tune day, yeah, it can get busy and maybe 5 runs--it's never been that bad that I only got 2 in there unless you go and do runs when they are bracket racing. Weather permitting I should be at Mason Dixon next Saturday or Sunday (both days test and tune only). Folks that went there today said that only 50 people showed up and they got in 11-15 runs. That's not usual though, I admit. Personally, MIR seems the slowest to me, Cecil next and MD the best of the 3.

So, for March I'll be at MD next weekend and MIR on the 29th, Cecil on April 12th (Superstallions track rental) and 19th (Normally aspirated shootout sponsored by JDM), then the NVMC's track rentals for April, May and June. Other than Pinks All Out at Englishtown in July, I'm not likely to race over the summer but pick up again in September.

That all assumes the car stays in one piece!

John

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I went with KOOKS just because I got a great buy on them! I have the catted X but we dont have emissions out here! sweet :) 2k05gt Boss281 vbmenu_register("postmenu_70631", true); marcspaz vbmenu_register("postmenu_70638", true); you guys ever make it to Mason-Dixon? MIR is a drive for me.....I get there a few times a year.
goin to M-D several times this year.

Yes Marcspaz, Rygen and Myself have hit Mason Dixon a few times. Marc and I live between both MIR and MD.
I have not been there since they made the changes. Northern Virginia Mustang Club does a Track Rental once a month
on Saturday mornings so we will hit a few of them.

We should all plan to meet up at MD soon.
I don't know when Rygen will have his car back on the road, I hope soon.

Setup a list
2K05GT (Scott)
Marcspaz (Marc)
Boss281 (John)
Rygen (Todd)
Mick Mach (Mick)

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I voted bassani LT because thats what I am running and I have no complaints.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What is the Average increase of HP has everyone seen with headers?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back