LT Headers or Off-Road pipe with SC?

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
Ordering a Procharger and will most likely be ordering LT headers or just a Off-Road Pipe for the stock headers along with it. I'm not looking to make anymore power then what the SC will make by itself.

Money is not an option, just want to get rid of the cats.

Or is it ok to keep the stock cats?
I have heard that they are better then the aftermarket cats.

What would you do?

Thanks

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
Superchargers & cats don't go well togeather from what I read on here.

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
I'm lost here. So, you say:

Money is not an option, just want to get rid of the cats.

And then say:

Well, if money is not an option and you want to get rid of the cats, why not run LT's and and Off-Road X/H?

Did I miss something or is my reading comprehension really getting that bad?

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
I'm lost here. So, you say:

And then say:

Well, if money is not an option and you want to get rid of the cats, why not run LT's and and Off-Road X/H?

Did I miss something or is my reading comprehension really getting that bad?

Think you missed the other questions, so that is a yes to your question.

But to sum it up I'm just looking for opinions on if it is even worth it to get long tubes, just a off-road pipe or leave it stock.

As for the debate on stock cats most of the threads I seen were about aftermarket ones.

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
Think you missed the other questions, so that is a yes to your question.

But to sum it up I'm just looking for opinions on if it is even worth it to get long tubes, just a off-road pipe or leave it stock.

As for the debate on stock cats most of the threads I seen were about aftermarket ones.

Sigh,

Alright, plese don't take this personally and I am really not trying to offend you but, here goes:

First there are only 2 questions you posed:

and

What would you do?

Now, given the premise stated here:

just want to get rid of the cats.

The first question is completely contradictory unless you provide a reason you want to keep the stock cats.

Next, your premise stated as such:

I'm not looking to make anymore power then what the SC will make by itself.

Negates any reason for requiring LT's or an Off Road X/H unless you are looking for sound above all else or as you stated "just wantng to get rid of cats".

Now some logical reasoning if you please. The rich condition usually following the installation of a blower does have negative effects on Cats and many here have fallen victim to broken and plugged cats which may lead to engine damage. So, is it in your best interest to go catless with a blower? Most likely. But that still does not solve the reasoning behind wanting LT's. As you yourself stated (again for clarification purposes):

I'm not looking to make anymore power then what the SC will make by itself.

LT's are a useless mod for yourself unless you have some other reason you have not provided. SO to answer you final question then:

Given what you have stated, no, there is no reason for LT's and, yes, just an Off Road X/H may provide cheap insurance against a possible plugged cat/blown motor.

Ohh and I think my reading comprehension is just fine tyvm.

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
Sigh,

Alright, plese don't take this personally and I am really not trying to offend you but, here goes:

First there are only 2 questions you posed:

and

Now, given the premise stated here:

The first question is completely contradictory unless you provide a reason you want to keep the stock cats.

Next, your premise stated as such:

Negates any reason for requiring LT's or an Off Road X/H unless you are looking for sound above all else or as you stated "just wantng to get rid of cats".

Now some logical reasoning if you please. The rich condition usually following the installation of a blower does have negative effects on Cats and many here have fallen victim to broken and plugged cats which may lead to engine damage. So, is it in your best interest to go catless with a blower? Most likely. But that still does not solve the reasoning behind wanting LT's. As you yourself stated (again for clarification purposes):

LT's are a useless mod for yourself unless you have some other reason you have not provided. SO to answer you final question then:

Given what you have stated, no, there is no reason for LT's and, yes, just an Off Road X/H may provide cheap insurance against a possible plugged cat/blown motor.

Ohh and I think my reading comprehension is just fine tyvm.

I would beg to differ about your comprehension and logic to even give a good opinion here.

First there are 3 questions since I'm still undecided on getting the LT's or just an off--road pipe.

1. Get long tubes
2. Just get an Off-Road Pipe...keep stock headers
3. Keep the stock cats

There are other benefits to getting long tubes then just power...better flow, cooler exhaust temps.

The stock cats (even though I'm against keeping them) is an ongoing debate. Most of the failures are aftermarket and those failures are few. Quite a few running stock cats and aftermarket with no ill effects. Might be a ticking time bomb, might not. Again there is no end all be all answer to it.

Nothing contradicts...it was a question asking an opinion.
AND I asked what would you do, not what I should do!
You should have given yours and moved on.

Maybe I should have made the post more clear for the reading impaired...LOL J/K

Again thanks for the reply

Last edited:

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
I have L/T's and off road H. I have a 10PSI pulley on my procharger but on the dyno, we saw almost 12psi at 6500rpms. So, yes, there is a benefit to doing Long Tubes with a procharger. And yes, it will give you "more" than the system will put out on its own. Yes, just adding an O/R mid pipe will eliminate the cats

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
I have L/T's and off road H. I have a 10PSI pulley on my procharger but on the dyno, we saw almost 12psi at 6500rpms. So, yes, there is a benefit to doing Long Tubes with a procharger. And yes, it will give you "more" than the system will put out on its own. Yes, just adding an O/R mid pipe will eliminate the cats

Thanks, I figured the having a free flowing exhaust would help the SC make more power up top...more effeciently. 2psi was more that I thought though.

I know adding an O/R pipe will eliminate the cats....kinda what off-road means...LOL

Would you add the LT's if you had to do it again?

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Thanks, I figured the having a free flowing exhaust would help the SC make more power up top...more effeciently. 2psi was more that I thought though.

I know adding an O/R pipe will eliminate the cats....kinda what off-road means...LOL

Would you add the LT's if you had to do it again?

Absolutely. Of course, I got my long tubes when they first came out so my car was a guinea pig for my tuner. I got all parts at his cost and labor was half price. The procharger didnt come for a couple years after that. But I still made 320whp/335tq with bolt ons; so yeah, I would definitely do it again. You're gonna be down there anyways, might as well. Especially for what a used system is going for these days.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back