Max head flow for 25 psi race motor

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I am a complete noob at this, but, did you use a solid lash adjuster(or whatever it is) when you measured clearance? Don't the stock style ones "pump up" with oil pressure?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
If I take .040 more off I get 11.85:1 C/R. Where do you stop when the car will never see pump gas again and will stay on e85? Most would say raise the C/R and lower boost to keep the intake temps down, but we all know that is not how my brain works. I say it is just more power! With that said where is the stopping point and why?

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
If I take .040 more off I get 11.85:1 C/R. Where do you stop when the car will never see pump gas again and will stay on e85? Most would say raise the C/R and lower boost to keep the intake temps down, but we all know that is not how my brain works. I say it is just more power! With that said where is the stopping point and why?

Your stopping point will be the rod bolts...maybe the block

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score

How close are you to spinning that blower as fast as it will go?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
How close are you to spinning that blower as fast as it will go?
With my 3.9 pulley and 23 psi I am at about 72000 rpm and the max is 74000 I do have ceramic bearings now though.

As long as he doesn't spin the guts out of it I'd wager that shortblock is good for 1500+
I like 7200 rpms. I did spin it to 7550 for several months last year. And I would agree it is 1500 rwhp capable.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
With my 3.9 pulley and 23 psi I am at about 72000 rpm and the max is 74000 I do have ceramic bearings now though.
Well if the blower is maxed out crank up that compression! How high? IDK, that is outside my experience. I've never built a high compression/FI motor before and that is kind of a new thing.

That said my EB F-150 has 10:1 CR and I am running 19lb of boost through it on 93. Daily driver.

11.75:1 with 25lb of boost and e85 doesn't seem that unreasonable.

I like 7200 rpms. I did spin it to 7550 for several months last year. And I would agree it is 1500 rwhp capable.
7550 is getting where the followers aren't real happy. But that is still pretty slow for the bottom end. The bottom end can probably take 8500+ without breaking a sweat.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Well if the blower is maxed out crank up that compression! How high? IDK, that is outside my experience. I've never built a high compression/FI motor before and that is kind of a new thing.

That said my EB F-150 has 10:1 CR and I am running 19lb of boost through it on 93. Daily driver.

11.75:1 with 25lb of boost and e85 doesn't seem that unreasonable.

7550 is getting where the followers aren't real happy. But that is still pretty slow for the bottom end. The bottom end can probably take 8500+ without breaking a sweat.
I really like the high rpm. It is a whole different sound past 7200. That will most likely be the next test of my setup after this C/R vrs PSI debate.

RPM+C/R+PSI+OCT+TIMING= FUCKING FAST!

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Put Q16 in it and bump it up... Guys who run low compression with boost are either old or don't know how to tune. Lol.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
About the followers... I have been told time and time again that the jesel are not worth the big money they command but Damn they are nice if you get the lash adjusters with them. They sell two different style follower.. one for oem lash adjusters and one for theirs.

Wicked but wicked expensive too. If I had rpm on the brain I would buy them without doubt. Next problem would be the timing chain guides and tensioners I would think

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
I am a complete noob at this, but, did you use a solid lash adjuster(or whatever it is) when you measured clearance? Don't the stock style ones "pump up" with oil pressure?

Summit sells a nice solid lash adjuster or you can just weld a stock 1 up from collapsing.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score

No, but the ones I used are used and hard. I will double check them tonight and recheck clearance tomorrow with my solid ones. Good catch, thanks!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Told ya.

Now, higher lift? maybe depending on how better your heads flow up there.

Never checked geometry or clearance in the head, if some extra work would be required.

About the followers, stay stock.

No, the lift will remain the same. I am not looking to replace valve springs several times a year, and that is what seems to happen when you step up to the 127650 cams.

And my followers will stay stock until Jessel steps back into reality! They are "pretty" but you cant see them under the valve covers.

So, what is the stopping point on C/R and why?

Besides the point I have already passed because I am me...:crazy:

The way I see it there are four things that make power. One is C/R, the next is timing, the next is octane, and the other is boost, what is the line? What is the max combined cylinder pressure with E85? Is there a rule or am I at the point we just make pulls and adjust one or the other? Where does it stop? So many questions...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
No, the lift will remain the same. I am not looking to replace valve springs several times a year, and that is what seems to happen when you step up to the 127650 cams.

And my followers will stay stock until Jessel steps back into reality! They are "pretty" but you cant see them under the valve covers.

So, what is the stopping point on C/R and why?

Besides the point I have already passed because I am me...:crazy:

The way I see it there are four things that make power. One is C/R, the next is timing, the next is octane, and the other is boost, what is the line? What is the max combined cylinder pressure with E85? Is there a rule or am I at the point we just make pulls and adjust one or the other? Where does it stop? So many questions...

You might do well to research what the srt-4 guys are doing with e85. A couple of guys at work were over 30psi with E30 iirc. Don't know what the compression was.

Back