Maximum Motorsport S197 Rollbar fitment?

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of the S197 Maximum Motorsport Sport 4-point roll bar with harness mount?

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...oduct_info&cPath=121_126_414&products_id=1322

MM has video and pictures online, but none of them are showing how close the main hoop follows the roof line (which determines if the rear seat is still usable) and if it get in the way of the factory seat belt.

If you have suggestions for another roll bar suitable for open track use, please let me know as well.

I've seen the cooltechllc.com roll bar, but I would like to retain the rear seat.

Francis

stang389

forum member
Reaction score
i have the autopower 4 point roll bar with harness bar, it is pretty much on the roof line right at the B piller. Mine is welded in due to seeing what happens with a roll bar being bolted in and the vehicle being on its roof. i can try and get some pictures for you this weekend.

With the harness bar removed my rear seat can be used. if the harness bar installed ive had people crawl under it and they can sit comfortably with it in stalled, just hard to get there

jymontoya

forum member
Reaction score
I've got the MM 4-pt with harness bar. When you remove the harness bar, the rear seat is still usable. I wouldn't want to ride back there for hours, but it's fine for taking people on a quick ride to get a bite to eat and a pint. Hell, I wouldn't want to ride back there for hours, STOCK. :)

Here's a shot of the 6-pt version. So just picture it without the side bars and with the harness bar removed. The main hoop is the same.

m5lp_0902_18_z+2006_ford_mustang+rollbar_install.jpg

Pulled From:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0902_s197_mustang_rollbar/

FWIW- The installation is pretty easy. Only tricky part for me was getting the rear supports welded to the main hoop. They come separate so it all fits in a UPS ground box. They say it's because the cars are different enough, but I don't believe that. It's all for packaging if you ask me. Shipping is still pricey from CA these days on such a heavy item, I can only imagine how expensive it'd be if it had to be Freight.

Cheers.

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is welded in due to seeing what happens with a roll bar being bolted in and the vehicle being on its roof.

The reason I'm going with the Maximum Motorsport roll bar is because it mounts on the rear bulkhead, which is probably one of the strongest point on the car. A properly welded in roll bar is fine as well, but it's not easy to find people who know what they are doing around here... :)

Francis

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
To be sure, the failure of the Autopower bar (referenced earlier) wasn't due to it being a "bolt-in" design. The design flaw there was twofold:

a.) They elected to have the main mount drop onto the weak(er) floor panels (thus giving it less than admirable support in the event of a roll-over)

b.) The main hoop floor pads themselves were abysmally small, having an area that was far too small to be of much help in spreading out loads

The MM bar avoids both flaws, first as B2B notes with mounting the main hoop to the rear seat bulkhead and second by using broad pads (ex. in the rear struts).

FWIW, I think Griggs bar is very similar to the MM one, though it may be more expensive. I have the MM one (fixed rear harness bar with diagonal support - so nobody goes in the back seat...if there were still a back seat).

Best,
-j

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is welded in due to seeing what happens with a roll bar being bolted in and the vehicle being on its roof

Mine will be as well when I start stepping in this direction. I spoke to a cage builder over the weekend and he told me if I am not going to go wheel-to-wheel to just "back half" the car with a 4 point bar similiar to what everyone is showing here. The guy put a full cage in my brother's E30, came out very nice.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back