Mod Advice

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
Ok First I am planning on staying N/A unless something big happens. So i have the mods in my signiture. My plan was Pypes LT headers ,Pypes HF cats, Pypes O/R H-pipe and stock axle backs. Than add cams and a few other things.
I already have the HF cats and the H-pipe for LT headers. As headers are on sale I was looking to buy some. But than comes the install I have to find someone to do ( might have a guy but i could end up having to pay someone) the install.
I was told today I should skip the headers and just buy a h-pipe and axle backs and skip the headers. Sell the h-pipe I have and use the money and the header install money for cams.
So big question...should I stick with my original plan or skip headers and just go O/R H-pipe axle backs and have some mony towards cams?

MyGG

forum member
Reaction score
Stick with your plan. Cams down the road sometime, then your done (power wise at least).

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cams and headers really compliment each other; when I was NA I dyno'd after installing the HR cams and Kooks LT's and catted H and gained 30 hp/3 tq through an automatic with 410 gears.

Not sure what cams you are going with but I would assume the NSR cams such as Hot Rods, Detroit Rockers, BBR stg1, etc. They are around $650 new and I am estimating install to be around $200 if you can find someone to do it as side work.

Kooks LT's and off road H are $1300 shipped from Maryland Speed shop which seem to be one of the cheapest around and then to pay to have them installed...hmm....for a shop I would est $400. I know you said Pypes which are cheaper but since I have not researched them I don't know what LT's and their off road H costs but the Kooks/Pypes are reportedly interchangeable since they are mid length headers.

If you can get a good deal on the exhaust I would do that first as all an engine is an air mover, the easier the air can escape the more efficiently it will be and make more power and that way the exhaust is opened up when you can afford the cams.

LT's and off road are also easier/cheaper to tune for as all that is done is to turn the rear 02's off; with the cams it is a chance the tune could be off which will cause you to troubleshoot with the installer and the tuner and usually causes finger pointing and headaches for you.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
only part of your plan that confuses me is you say you want to get pypes High flow cats, and a pypes Off road H pipe...

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
only part of your plan that confuses me is you say you want to get pypes High flow cats, and a pypes Off road H pipe...

No I already have (new in boxes) Pypes HF ceramic Cats and ( NIB) Pypes O/R -H pipe for LT headers

stang72

Family of Stangs
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think mac LT's will built up to pypes O/R pipe.You can get a set of Mac LT's ceramic coated for about $450.

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
Go with the LTs, and spend a couple of days putting them on. I always enjoy my mods more when I take the time to do them instead of paying a guy.

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, james stick to the original plan. Its a good one.

S197_smokn

forum member
Reaction score
I would save your money and go FI cuz I said the same thing you did and you get used to that power and it's not enough I promise. Now that I bought a turbo I have to pull cams that don't have 500miles, LTs, on, on, on. Could have saved myself the trouble. I know how you feel you want it now, but if u are patient you will be so far ahead in the end:)

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
I would save your money and go FI cuz I said the same thing you did and you get used to that power and it's not enough I promise. Now that I bought a turbo I have to pull cams that don't have 500miles, LTs, on, on, on. Could have saved myself the trouble. I know how you feel you want it now, but if u are patient you will be so far ahead in the end:)

^ this...Be sure you want to stay N/A or your adding a bunch of parts that wont stay on very long if you do in fact decide its not enough

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
If i go FI it wouldnt be turbo so I was thinking if I do headers than step back and make a decision on staying NA or not before cams. But I just might throw NA cams on and if I have the $ to supercharge than I will have the money for new cams.
There is only one way I could affored going FI and if this happpens than money wouldnt be a huge issue. Not saying money would be no object just saying I could affored to pull the na cams and take a loss on selling them and buy FI cams.

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
Or, just tossing this out, an exhaust setup will be say $500ish, cams $650ih+, this is just for the parts, no tools, or paid labor. There has been several FI kits come up FS on this forum for under 2K. Save that money and make 460whp or go headers/cams and make what 350ish? So many options!

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
Or, just tossing this out, an exhaust setup will be say $500ish, cams $650ih+, this is just for the parts, no tools, or paid labor. There has been several FI kits come up FS on this forum for under 2K. Save that money and make 460whp or go headers/cams and make what 350ish? So many options!

You said it " So many options"

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back