Modding a 2011 GT500

Synister500

Reaction score
Got started last night!

73bb705a.jpg

Difference in TB size. Stock vs whipple twin 75mm. The whipple should work well and pull some good air with my JLT 127mm intake.

578eb27d.jpg

Electronics switched over to new TB. Whipple provides everything including detailed instructions with pictures.

31198ba0.jpg

Synister500

Reaction score
I hate you so much. Amazing GT500!

Haha thanks!

A local friendly rivalry has now gotten me into signing up for the SVT shoot out at the NMRA finals here in Bowling Green. We don't expect to win, just competing against each other at a national event will be fun! He's running a 2012 GT500 with the FRPP whipple kit, FRPP tune, 18" NT05R's, and stock exhaust. I'll be running everything above with 16" ET streets. Should be a good race!

Synister500

Reaction score
Got about an hour of work done last night. Everything is now off, out of the way and clean. Now I just need someone as an extra set of hand to help me place the new whipple down on the intake, then about 2 hours worth of work to button everything back up. Everything has be very straight forward, and the whipple instructions are fantastic.

d7fe6d97.jpg

Progress:

f7e78118.jpg

7eb48342.jpg

A buddy of mine stepped up and loaned me his ET Streets so that I would join in the SVT shoot out. They ain't pretty but I'm sure they will get the job done!

54fc8e54.jpg

bfbe980a.jpg

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Damnit man! I wish had some money to put a Whipple on my 5.0!!

That open header video had a lot of nice drifting corners in it....

You're car is SO bad ass brother!

Synister500

Reaction score
Damnit man! I wish had some money to put a Whipple on my 5.0!!

That open header video had a lot of nice drifting corners in it....

You're car is SO bad ass brother!

Thanks Frank! Yes there are a lot of nice empty "fun" country roads here in south central KY. We make good use of them. They make my car with the SVTPP an absolute blast to drive!

BTW glad to see you walked away safe from the old lady scare!

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
drag tires, control arms, panhard bar should be the first mods.

Then the pulley, intake tune.

HP is useless if it doesn't transfer to the pavement.

Synister500

Reaction score
drag tires, control arms, panhard bar should be the first mods.

Then the pulley, intake tune.

HP is useless if it doesn't transfer to the pavement.

Those are done. Other than the drag tires. This is not a drag car. Complete list of current mods now includes:
1. JLT 127mm CF intake
2. Whipple twin 75mm Throttle Body
3. Whipple 2.9 with crusher intake and 3 1/4" pulley
4. Afco dual fan HE
5. Colder plugs
6. Bosch 72lb injectors
7. JLT oil separators
8. Kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers
9. Kook o/r x-pipe
10. Custom full 3" SS mandrel bent exhaust
11. Borla stinger exhaust
12. Dynatech 3.5 aluminum1 piece DS
13. BMR billet lower control arm
14. BMR lower control arm relocation brackets
15. BMR panhard bar
16. BMR adjustable upper control arm
17. BMR upper control arm mount
18. Waiting for Tune.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Those are done. Other than the drag tires. This is not a drag car. Complete list of current mods now includes:
1. JLT 127mm CF intake
2. Whipple twin 75mm Throttle Body
3. Whipple 2.9 with crusher intake and 3 1/4" pulley
4. Afco dual fan HE
5. Colder plugs
6. Bosch 72lb injectors
7. JLT oil separators
8. Kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers
9. Kook o/r x-pipe
10. Custom full 3" SS mandrel bent exhaust
11. Borla stinger exhaust
12. Dynatech 3.5 aluminum1 piece DS
13. BMR billet lower control arm
14. BMR lower control arm relocation brackets
15. BMR panhard bar
16. BMR adjustable upper control arm
17. BMR upper control arm mount
18. Waiting for Tune.

It's of course assuming, you'll be taking the car to the drag strip.

Synister500

Reaction score
I was able to get another hour or so in last night. A buddy can over to help, which made sitting the SC down straight a lot easier. At this point everything is bolted down tight and torqued. Go the belt installed as well. I had the HD idler from Metco already I just move the pulley to the farthest location. I will say tha you will not put the belt on over a ribbed pulley. Put it on over the SC then slide it over a smooth. The belt is really tight and now it wraps about 3/4 of blower pulley. Unfortunately we broke the 3/8 drive plug hole where you pry down the tensioner, luckily the belt was 90% on when this happened. We also found that we had to make a 10mm wrench to get to the SC housing under the crusher intake. We cut a wrench and welded an extension bar to it. There is no other way to get to this bolt.

The wrench we modified.

11e19625.jpg

Progress, tightening down the PITA to get to bolt under the crusher intake.

9e1728b8.jpg

Broken tensioner.

4ab6a2cf.jpg

As we finished up for the night.

a455f59d.jpg

Last edited:

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
Just a heads up for something to keep an eye on. I have pretty much all the mods you have (plus a few extra), and the S/C & TB were so much bigger I was having a problem with the throttle body pushing into the heat shield on the hood. Originally I had the bolts for the TB/CAI bands up top, but they actually pushed through the shield and were starting to dig in the hood, so I had to move them over to the side. I also have the JLT oil seperators, and they were hitting the hood and causing extra pressure on the connectors. The rubber gromet on the CAI ripped out and had to be replaced (found that out at the track).

Also, I have "The Tank" from MRT (HE & radiator expansion tank), and the caps from that were pushing into the heat shield.

I ended up having to lower the engine 1/2". That kept everything from hitting, and as an added benefit, it lowers the center of gravity for the car, helping it corner better. I went with lowering motor mounts, but I'd rather have the BMR K-member....one day :)

Just wanted to give you a heads up! Car looks awesome!! Jelous of the Aluminum block!!!

Synister500

Reaction score
Just a heads up for something to keep an eye on. I have pretty much all the mods you have (plus a few extra), and the S/C & TB were so much bigger I was having a problem with the throttle body pushing into the heat shield on the hood. Originally I had the bolts for the TB/CAI bands up top, but they actually pushed through the shield and were starting to dig in the hood, so I had to move them over to the side. I also have the JLT oil seperators, and they were hitting the hood and causing extra pressure on the connectors. The rubber gromet on the CAI ripped out and had to be replaced (found that out at the track).

Also, I have "The Tank" from MRT (HE & radiator expansion tank), and the caps from that were pushing into the heat shield.

I ended up having to lower the engine 1/2". That kept everything from hitting, and as an added benefit, it lowers the center of gravity for the car, helping it corner better. I went with lowering motor mounts, but I'd rather have the BMR K-member....one day :)

Just wanted to give you a heads up! Car looks awesome!! Jelous of the Aluminum block!!!

Thanks twisted. I'll be sure to watch that.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
Thats a sick GT500!! I was planning on trying to buy a used 07-09, but might try to hold off since the 2013 should be coming out with upgrades and hopefully will push the 11's with aluminum blocks into the 30's. I will be doing almost the exact same mods!

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
Not to highjack....

But 2014 will be the 50th anniversary, and there's talk of a 5.8L block. Personally I'd like to see the 5.8L with the new TiVCT heads like the 5.0 has....

Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled thread :)

Synister500

Reaction score
Not to highjack....

But 2014 will be the 50th anniversary, and there's talk of a 5.8L block. Personally I'd like to see the 5.8L with the new TiVCT heads like the 5.0 has....

Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled thread :)

Kinda what I was thinking along with a TVS blower. Id bet it becomes an exclusive SVT car as well, no more Shelby.

06whipple

Nice GT500. Should be in the 10s with that beast in good air.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back