Modding a 2011 GT500

Synister500

Reaction score
Just as the title says I'm about to start modding my 2011 GT500. I purchased the car used with 8800 miles on it. It is bone stock with the exception of Magnaflow catback exhaust installed by the previous owner. I have had the car about 6 weeks now and it is an absolute blast to drive. But, I live in the heart of corvette country (the dang things are made right here) and stock just won't cut it. So before I even drove to TX to get the car I placed an order for some goodies to wake the new girl up. Everything is now here and I picked it all up from the local shop today. I figured a few mild bolt ons would be a good starting point.

Truck loaded up:

a6cd0dd0-fe3a-cdf6.jpg

Everything unloaded:

a6cd0dd0-fe70-eed7.jpg

The list:

1. JLT 127mm Carbon Fiber intake
2. Kooks 1 7/8" into 3" LTH with O/R X pipe
3. Borla catback exhaust (Stingers)
4. Metco 2.6 pulley
5. Metco HD idler pulley
6. Afco 10" dual fan HE
7. Colder range plugs
8. SCT tuner with Bob Kurgan start up tune
9. Bob Kurgan dyno tune
10. SOS triple gauge pillar pod
11. Autometer wideband, fuel pressure, and oil pressure gauges

Here is the car stock with the Magnaflows sitting in my garage:

e484723b.mp4

I'm going to wait till at least Tuesday before she goes down to run at the track for some before and after results (as long as the weather cooperates). I hope to have everything installed in a week; then down to GA to see Bob and back here by NMCA Aug. 4th. If not then hopefully by Summernites cruise Aug 28th.

Hope to update with progress and pictures regularly.

Last edited:

Synister500

Reaction score
Well I'm not exactly happy but it is what it is and the numbers don't lie. Test and tune night so everything and its brother was out running, including motorcycles. Track conditions were terrible, weather was just a mile north of hell; 96* air temp 98% humidity (I can only imagine how hot the track surface was). I figure that this is probably worse case conditions I'll run this car in so I guess its not going to get any slower. The car is a bone stock 2011 GT500 with SVTPP (includes 3.73 gears, 20" wheels, 285/35 street tires (stock rubber). She weighed in at 2260 lbs. on the front axles with a total weight of 4000 lbs with me (240 lbs) and a full tank of gas. As I said above I have mods waiting to be installed and wanted some track #'s to compare stock vs basic GT500 mods. Car was driven to the track given a 30 min cool down then ran and hot lapped. Made a total of 6 passes with this routine. 30-45 min cool down followed by a run and then a hot lap. Average times were between 12.9 and 13.1; 60' were averaging 2.0-2.1. My best 60' was a 1.93 (my last pass and the coolest temp all night) and my best 1/4 mile was 12.7 @ 112 mph. I don't know why but you really couldn't floor it WOT till just before the 1/8th mile marker. I really don't know what to expect with the above mentioned mods but I'm definitely ready to start working on it.

Well as they say prove it or GTFO so here you go:

a6890db4-62a9-f2b2.jpg

Genius

Reaction score
I can only see it gettin better...
Temp along with humidity was nothing more than dead weight.
99 up here yesterday, 99 again today, cant even pull mine out of the shop,
fear of the stripes melting off it ;)

Last edited:

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I'm in for this one. I would love to have a 500. Are sticky tires in your near future?

Synister500

Reaction score
I'm in for this one. I would love to have a 500. Are sticky tires in your near future?

This is going to mostly a street car, but since we have a local track ... yes! Probably going to go with the black Welds from JPC 17" all the way around (I am considering larger rotors on the rear is the reason for going with 17's there) and a 275 tire.

Aw man. I was hoping to see pics of the car!!

I bet you're super stoked! I know I would be!

Here you go Frank. All blacked out with 5%. I have a couple of videos from last night and I'll post one up later. I'm posting from my phone and Tapatalk right now.

a6890db4-d83c-7d0a.jpg

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
My best runs in the GT500 were always the ones straight off the road. Once you let them sit the intercooler coolant heat soaks and IATs go to hell thus making them pull timing. In similar weather I was able to trap 114 in my stock 2010 GT500, but it was the first run off the road.

If it's not on your list (I didn't read :) ) upgrade the heat exchanger for sure. You'll see a huge improvement just from that.

Synister500

Reaction score
My best runs in the GT500 were always the ones straight off the road. Once you let them sit the intercooler coolant heat soaks and IATs go to hell thus making them pull timing. In similar weather I was able to trap 114 in my stock 2010 GT500, but it was the first run off the road.

If it's not on your list (I didn't read :) ) upgrade the heat exchanger for sure. You'll see a huge improvement just from that.

It is #6. Afco dual 10" fan HE. If possible I plan to have it and the pump wired where they run with the key in the "on" position, so they can run without the car running.

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
It is #6. Afco dual 10" fan HE. If possible I plan to have it and the pump wired where they run with the key in the "on" position, so they can run without the car running.

Looks great man !!!!!

bigpappy33

11.17@126
Reaction score
Those mods will help alot, but nothing is better than cold air for these engines. With a Pulley, intake/tune, and O/R X pipe I trapped 126 with my iron block and ran an 11.17. Oh and decent tires make a world of difference as well.

Synister500

Reaction score
Those mods will help alot, but nothing is better than cold air for these engines. With a Pulley, intake/tune, and O/R X pipe I trapped 126 with my iron block and ran an 11.17. Oh and decent tires make a world of difference as well.

That is awesome and very reassuring!

char259

Wolf Pack Racing
Reaction score
that is definately a good piece you have there. The floor has been set, time to aim high now. Gonna just get quicker

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
about what my father gets in his..... i think his best with a different driver is 11.9 but him is like a 12.7 lol

ZXMustang

5.0 4V Owner
Reaction score
Yeah man, I know you already got them but you needed to skip the headers. Pulley/intake/tune with a completely stock exhaust will get you in the mid 500's rwhp. The headers will help when you are running a twin screw blower and your stock manifolds are starting to be a restriction at the 700rwhp power level. MMFF magazine did a test on headers for the GT500 with the stock and pulley setup and I think they picked up 7rwhp. Even with a KB they tested running much higher numbers, they were only good for like 20rwhp. If you havent installed them, sell them and get the blower ported, pullied/intake and tune. Then you will be trapping 125+. I had an 09 GT500 with 2.6 pulley, K&N intake and tune only and went 12.0@123 on the stock tires with a 2.0 sixty.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back