Motor oil weight for a tracked Coyote?

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
...Also, btw this is the first motor oil thread I've ever seen in the history of the Internet where people were insightful, informed, open to that insight, and discussed accordingly. Bravo.

That's because we got sidetracked into talking about variable cam timing and not about motor oil!

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Threads about motor oil are gay.
Show us the tables or parameters used between the 2 cars.

neema

forum member
Reaction score
Can you share some of the sources here? Hard to imagine the engine could be that sensitive but would be interested in whatever is being said.

Sorry, just noticed this. I don't have anything off hand that I can reference, but what I read dealt with the same idea that JAJ mentioned regarding the FF strategies with oil weight being one of those parameters.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not wading into the "Oil Wars" that have already begun, other than to say that we run Mobil1 15W50 in our Mustang, and run almost an extra quart over "Full" when tracking.

1087114209_wrBZN-M.jpg

We started out with 10W30 for winter months and ran 10W40 in summer, but switched to 15W50 last year

We change the oil and filter (Wix) after about every 3 race weekends. Very cheap insurance, and after 17K miles and 3 years of track abuse we have had ZERO issues with this motor. We use Redline synthetics in the MT-82 and 8.8" rearend, too.

DSC_2084-M.jpg

And while Mobil1 isn't as overpriced or trendy as many other brands out there, I have used their synthetic lubricants in Mustangs and dozens of other cars I have raced since 1988. In 25 years of racing I have never had an oil related failure, other than one time where let an LS1 motor get 2 quarts low on oil and wiped some rod bearings (my own damned fault - was running 3 cars that day and neglected to check oil level on this one car). I have used Mobil synthetic lubricants in other industries I worked in as an engineer, before I started Vorshlag, too.

Cheers,

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not wading into the "Oil Wars" that have already begun, other than to say that we run Mobil1 15W50 in our Mustang, and run almost an extra quart over "Full" when tracking.

1087114209_wrBZN-M.jpg

We started out with 10W30 for winter months and ran 10W40 in summer, but switched to 15W50 last year

I like reading your posts.

I have seen a lot of race cars running Mobil 1 synthetic. To this day Im still convinced its the only reason Formula Vee engines hold together at 7000 rpm.

Does the heavier weight oil seem to have any effect on VCT? when cold?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I have seen a lot of race cars running Mobil 1 synthetic. To this day Im still convinced its the only reason Formula Vee engines hold together at 7000 rpm.

I run 5W-30 Mobil 1 exclusively. Next oil change, Royal Purple is going in, mainly because I got 10 quarts of it for almost as cheap as Mobil 1.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
Interestingly, you didn't list 5W-30, which is what I use. My car is internally stock, raced several weekends a month during the spring/summer, and driven year-round in colder climates.

In Amsoil's formulations, it's middle of the road between "0W" and "10W". Since 0W-30 doesn't shear, there really isn't a need for their 5W-30 Signature Series. I reserve 10W-30 for hot climates that see little, or no winter.

I can tell you one thing, the oil Mobil 1 supplies to their race teams is NOTHING like what you are buying off the shelf. However, you can buy the same oil from Amsoil that their race teams use, Dominator series.

No reported adverse affects on VCT using lubricants ranging from 20 to 50 grades.

I run 5W-30 Mobil 1 exclusively. Next oil change, Royal Purple is going in, mainly because I got 10 quarts of it for almost as cheap as Mobil 1.

You may want to second guess that decision. Despite what you think you may know about Mobil 1 and Royal Purple (non-HPS), neither formulation is a true synthetic.

Royal Purple - Formulation changed - Still priced as a true synthetic

If you are going to buy off the shelf, you may want to grab for Pennzoil Ultra. New cutting edge base oils called GTL (Gas To Liquid) are making a statement in the lubricant technology industry.

Last edited:

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
You may want to second guess that decision. Despite what you think you may know about Mobil 1 and Royal Purple (non-HPS), neither formulation is a true synthetic.

Royal Purple - Formulation changed - Still priced as a true synthetic

If you are going to buy off the shelf, you may want to grab for Pennzoil Ultra. New cutting edge base oils called GTL (Gas To Liquid) are making a statement in the lubricant technology industry.

Could you please provide a source for where Mobil 1 is not a true synthetic. They claim that it is a full synthetic. I would be interested in what you mean by this as well as where the information is coming from.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score

Couple of questions on that:

1. Are there other oils besides Pennzoil Ultra that are using GTL? If so, which ones?
  2. If there are others, do we have oil analyses from them yet?
  3. Any clue as to the manufacturing cost of GTL versus hydrocracked? I'm curious if GTL could wind up replacing hydrocracked and yield better oil across the board.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
...And here we go again.

I've yet to see someone damaging a motor from using RP, M1, Motorcraft, or any other decent off-the-shelf synthetic-blend/full-synthetic oil, regardless of whatever "tests" Amsoil dealers try to sell you on. Amsoil works better because it's base stock is actually ground up hundred-dollar bills.

Past a certain point, oil is freaking oil.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
Ah DAMNIT. RP changed to cracked?! Now I have to find a new oil...

Pennzoil Ultra if you are buying off the shelf. However, Amsoil Signature Series has always been the #1 performer in a Ford Modular.

Couple of questions on that:

1. Are there other oils besides Pennzoil Ultra that are using GTL? If so, which ones?
  2. If there are others, do we have oil analyses from them yet?
  3. Any clue as to the manufacturing cost of GTL versus hydrocracked? I'm curious if GTL could wind up replacing hydrocracked and yield better oil across the board.

1. At this time, no. Not that I am aware of.

2. See #1. However, at one time, Amsoil commented that if GTL was successful, worthy of using, they would change over to it. At this time, that has not happened, so there is a caveat to GTL when comparing it to PAO/Ester formulations.

3. That is a great question that I do not have the answer to. I think the answer lies in product loyalty, as Mobil 1 manufactures their own Hydrocracked base oil called Visom. It's a profit engine that they are not likely to abandon.

...And here we go again.

I've yet to see someone damaging a motor from using RP, M1, Motorcraft, or any other decent off-the-shelf synthetic-blend/full-synthetic oil, regardless of whatever "tests" Amsoil dealers try to sell you on. Amsoil works better because it's base stock is actually ground up hundred-dollar bills.

Past a certain point, oil is freaking oil.

First things first, oil threads are about optimal, not sufficient. Until you can understand this, you will never understand why people like myself care so much. Explain how a Mustang using Mobil 1 5W-20 for 30,000 miles, then changes to Amsoil AZO 0W-30, and gains 1 mpg of engine efficiency overnight.

Yep, because superior base oil and additives. That's why. You get what you pay for, and Mobil 1 is far from the top dog in this fight. It's average in the pack. Pennzoil Ultra is the better choice off the shelf.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Explain how a Mustang using Mobil 1 5W-20 for 30,000 miles, then changes to Amsoil AZO 0W-30, and gains 1 mpg of engine efficiency overnight.

Rounding error? The fact that the second oil is a thinner viscosity than the first? The first oil was old and had broken down? Placebo effect causing the driver to change his driving habits? He just spent too much money on oil and now is driving slower because he can't afford to put gas in his tank?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
Rounding error? The fact that the second oil is a thinner viscosity than the first? The first oil was old and had broken down? Placebo effect causing the driver to change his driving habits? He just spent too much money on oil and now is driving slower because he can't afford to put gas in his tank?

You are reaching, and you are ignorant to the fact. We are talking about long term averages and the car making the same long road trip, the same times of the year, the same speed, the same direction, etc.

Amsoil 0W-30 is more viscous than Mobil 1 5W-20, not less viscous. Also, M1 5W-20 was changed every 5,000 miles (6 times in a 30,000 mile interval).

It's OK, if you do not believe that better base oils have a lower frictional coefficient, then I guess you are going to have to take ConocoPhillips word on that.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
...Yet you are telling people to buy Pennzoil Ultra off the shelf, which is also a Group III, isn't it? Sure, Groups IV and V are better. I'm not arguing that. I am arguing that they aren't necessary. We've already have two people who road race the poop out of their cars chime in in this thread and state they use Mobil 1 (Group III) and Motorcraft Synthetic Blend (Group III?) with no ill results. I'm pretty sure they're running their cars a hell of a lot harder than most of us.

I might consider buying Amsoil when they stop using a Mary Kay business model and I actually see a test done by a third party. Until then, I'll stick with Mobil 1 or Royal Purple (the latter only if I have coupons).

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
Is Amsoil the company that used to run late night infomercials where they would drain the oil from an engine and see how long it would run?

I would like to see one single scientific study of oil performance proving any of this. I have never seen any evidence from any real study proving anything. A dotted graph with some words on it and vague groups means absolutely nothing.

If someone can provide some actual peer reviewed studies, then I would be interested. As it stands it is pretty much as believable as the gas station waterless wash guys.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back