Mountain Biking

BigRis

forum member
Reaction score
Great info...I am going to track these places down and defiantly go up there this summer.

Magoon is a nice spot. Wouldn't be my first choice for the mtb just because of trail length but a great place to enjoy the view. Another secluded beach access point is south of Magoon on West Forest Trail Road. This is more lake level access were Magoon is bluff (great views though.) We've taken a week in July for the last ten years now, staying in various spots between Manistee and Frankfort. Both the Big-M and the spot north of Arcadia (called C.S. Mott Nature Preserve) are worthy. Big-M offers longer lengths, although I really like the variety at C.S. Mott.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Great trails in Michigan:

Ft. Custer in Augusta (near Battle Creek)
Lakeshore Park aka Tree Farm (Novi)
Murray Lake/Torn Shirt (Brighton)
Island Lake (Brighton)
The Dump (Marshall) <-- can hit this after Ft. Custer

Log rides at Tree Farm:

208933_437021466321922_1049224155_n.jpg

Crashed coming off this next one, not in this picture though. Pretty much ended my mountain biking after that. Now I ride a CX bike and a singlespeed commuter.

OnTheEdge_zpsf8c583c5.jpg

My old Camber when I first got it. All of my pictures are on my Stumpjumper that I absolutely loved. Camber was a second bike. Shredded like crazy!:

Camber2512.jpg

The rollers at The Dump:

1LeQdSV.jpg

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Damn, those are some nice bikes! I use to mountain bike a lot when I was younger. Just now getting back into it. I use to ride Fort Custer a lot in Battle Creek, but now it's basically Kal-Haven Trail until I get my fat butt back in shape. 15 mile ride my first one back, an 18, another 15 and a 20 mi last week. 20 mile ride and my lungs were on absolute fire! I've only got a crappy Motobecane 29er Adventure Elite. I'd like to get a new bike either this fall or next spring. I noticed you guys have full suspension, do you really prefer those over hardtails? I lock my front out most of the time on the trail and use it if I ride actual off road trails. Suggestions on next bike? I mostly am riding Kal-Haven which is crushed limestone but will hit the normal trails again some day. I just want something that will keep up with my buddy on his cyclocross.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
Damn, those are some nice bikes! I use to mountain bike a lot when I was younger. Just now getting back into it. I use to ride Fort Custer a lot in Battle Creek, but now it's basically Kal-Haven Trail until I get my fat butt back in shape. 15 mile ride my first one back, an 18, another 15 and a 20 mi last week. 20 mile ride and my lungs were on absolute fire! I've only got a crappy Motobecane 29er Adventure Elite. I'd like to get a new bike either this fall or next spring. I noticed you guys have full suspension, do you really prefer those over hardtails? I lock my front out most of the time on the trail and use it if I ride actual off road trails. Suggestions on next bike? I mostly am riding Kal-Haven which is crushed limestone but will hit the normal trails again some day. I just want something that will keep up with my buddy on his cyclocross.

Full suspension is overkill here in Michigan. Get a lighter hard tail 29er, and ride the crap out of it. A couple of years ago, I did Massive Fallout in the fall in Shelby Township (Stoney Creek, Bald Mountain, Addison, Bloomer) and I ended up riding with a couple of guys on hard tail 29ers, me on my 26 full suspension. I couldn't keep up with them on the trail, or on the road. It was an absolute struggle with the smaller wheels and heavier bike. I was killing myself with it.

mpm_1

forum member
Reaction score
i'll second going light weight 29'er carbon - had this for a year now and have been pleased on road and trail - went this route after many many years of full suspension

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used to have a Gary Fisher 29'er that was crazy light and I loved it. Some days I wish I never would have sold it...

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It just depends on what trials you ride. If you go to the ski resorts like I do, that is not going to cut it (except for intermediate/beginner rides). BUT, if you do a lot of rolling hills, cross country stuff then that would be the way to go, and you wouldn't really need a full suspension bike.

SO.....like everything else there is no one right answer. It just depends on how you are going to use the bike.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I'd like this some day but im sure its gonna be 3k. I
0fa620d75f319aacc027608fc5d7c236.jpg

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
So here is the question. Im gonna do a hardtail 29er when I buy a new (same as what I have) but what brand? Cannondale, Trek or specialized? I want the best bang for the buck. Carbon or aluminum (225lbs and almost 6')? There are so many nice ass bikes but I don't want to go over 3k. Hope to find a sale on one taking it under 2k. Lets here what you thank.

mpm_1

forum member
Reaction score
$2000 even (before tax) for mine in Sept. 2013 as a model close out as a price point for you.

I wanted full carbon and was OK with a mid-level components group (mix of Shimano Deore and Deore XT) to get it versus a bit nicer component set on an aluminum frame (for equal $$ I mean). I would make that same trade-off again without hesitation.

Personal experinece of almost 30 years now of the Trek-Shimano combo has been good to me (road and mountain), but like you said there are many quality choices.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You know what you could do is search the classifieds for one that is a year or to old--where the owner bought it new, road it a few times, then it sat in the garage never used again. The classifieds are full of them.

All three brands are good but one frame may suit you better then the other two. Only way to tell is to go to your local bike shops and ride them. My wife was set on a canondale, but ended up getting a Trek Fuel 8 instead because she felt much better on it.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
If you want best bang for the buck, cross Specialized right off the list, especially if you go brand new. They over simply overpriced.

There are several other brands that make really nice bikes that you could look into as well.

Felt
Giant
Jamis
KHS
Santa Cruz
Turner
On One (Titus)
GT
Marin

Your bang for the buck may go further with one of those brands. The components will more than likely be the same, or even better, you just won't have that Trek or Specialized name on it.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^I have always liked Giant and I think you get a lot for your money with Giant. I love my Reign. It climbs extremely well for a 6 inch travel full suspension bike.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I bought a jamis x.24 for one of my boys new and a specialized hotrock 24 used for the other. The specialized is a bit nicer but new it would be over $100 more. Both are very nice bikes just jamis cuts out the frills that probably aren't needed and costs less.

ridenfish39

forum member
Reaction score
This is one of the nicest aluminum frames for the money
http://www.ninerbikes.com/emd9

You're a big boy at 225lbs, Stan's Flow rims, 14 guage straight spokes, with some heavier duty 2.3 rubber set up tubeless will be a nice wheel set. You can't beat even the lower tier Shimano or Sram parts. I run a 1x11 on my Cannondale Scalpel, later this year Sram is coming out with a lower priced 1x11 group.
I know Niner sells complete bikes, but you'll need a wheel set like the one I mentioned if you don't want to keep trueing them and busting spokes.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Yeah I use to love to lift weights but gave it up due to getting my neck fused and a broken lower back. Unfortunately I eat like I still lift...LOL. Trying to get back into a little better shape.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back