MSD Two step for the 5.0

JDM74

forum member
Reaction score
MSD is ignition cut. SCT is fuel cut which is not as safe.

After doing some research, I think which one is safer is debatable. What kind of limiter is used on the GT500? Fuel cut or ignition cut? All the stuff I have read about "going lean" with fuel cut has said it doesn't happen that way, fuel cut is fuel cut meaning no fuel is put in the cylinder at all. So therefore, no combustion occurs.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
MSD is ignition cut. SCT is fuel cut which is not as safe.

Usually OEM rev limiters are fuel cut, so I cant imagine fuel cut is dangerous (except when nitrous is involved).

Ignition cut can be bad because you could possibly wash the cylinder walls with gas, or even get gas in the oil... of course that would only be from 2 stepping for too long (i.e. showing off foolishly)

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
After doing some research, I think which one is safer is debatable. What kind of limiter is used on the GT500? Fuel cut or ignition cut? All the stuff I have read about "going lean" with fuel cut has said it doesn't happen that way, fuel cut is fuel cut meaning no fuel is put in the cylinder at all. So therefore, no combustion occurs.

You can run whatever you want bud. I'm not going to argue which is safer. I can assure you that you will build more power off the ignition cut 2 step set at 4500 rpm than you can using the factory 2 step set at 7000 rpm.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Fuel cut is only dangerous when the engine is under a load.. Free revving does not induce a load.

acrbill

Reaction score
The SCT neutral rev limiter does not hold the RPM nearly as well as the MSD does. It bounces around a lot. People have been using MSD 2-steps for years, just don't sit on the limiter for too long. On a sportsman tree bring it up as the lights begin to drop. The n2mb is nice but is a serious PITA to install.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
On a car with cats.. why not wire it up to cut the injector out for the cylinder that's being cut out at the same time? If the cylinder is dead from no spark, then, there's no reason for the injector to spray fuel anyway. There should be no difference in the way it performs, but, you won't torch your cats.

If it's a turbo car, then, leaving the injector on would be beneficial, as unburned fuel ignites in the turbine housing and causes it to spool the turbine.

Does the MSD box simply cut the voltage to the coil pack(s)?

Travis

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
The SCT neutral rev limiter does not hold the RPM nearly as well as the MSD does. It bounces around a lot. People have been using MSD 2-steps for years, just don't sit on the limiter for too long. On a sportsman tree bring it up as the lights begin to drop. The n2mb is nice but is a serious PITA to install.

Its 4 wires and I emailed them the exact wire color and pins to wire it to. Definitely not hard to install now. It was hard when I did it because it had never been done before. Simple now. Progressive nitrous control, no lift shift, and spark rev limiter are enough for me to buy it.

PBstallis

forum member
Reaction score
On a car with cats.. why not wire it up to cut the injector out for the cylinder that's being cut out at the same time? If the cylinder is dead from no spark, then, there's no reason for the injector to spray fuel anyway. There should be no difference in the way it performs, but, you won't torch your cats.

If it's a turbo car, then, leaving the injector on would be beneficial, as unburned fuel ignites in the turbine housing and causes it to spool the turbine.

Does the MSD box simply cut the voltage to the coil pack(s)?

Travis
I think doing both at the same time would shut the car off but I could be wrong

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Why is it dangerous to run a motor lean under a load? Detonation would occur.. broken/melted ring lands, rings, etc.

Running lean with no load doesn't hurt anything (free revving)..
There is a difference between running too little fuel and running no fuel (fuel cut). 100% air in the cylinder, 0% fuel, and spark= no combustion and no lean event.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
What features does the N2MB have that the MSD doesn't? Can the setting for shifting be adjusted on the MSD?

I already mentioned most of them above. Progressive nitrous control, no lift shift, spark rev limiter, shift light, meth control. Not sure what you mean about adjusting shifting, but the answer is no because all the msd unit does is activate a limiter.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
There is a difference between running too little fuel and running no fuel (fuel cut). 100% air in the cylinder, 0% fuel, and spark= no combustion and no lean event.

Are you sure that it is a 100% fuel cut? If I hit my fuel limiter when doing a burnout it has a nasty backfire. Can't imagine that being safe under boost.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Why is it dangerous to run a motor lean under a load? Detonation would occur.. broken/melted ring lands, rings, etc.

Running lean with no load doesn't hurt anything (free revving)..

Well, its 2 step, so its not under load.
Also, its not like its cutting the injectors 10% or something, its cutting them dramatically, it wont take damage from running lean because its going so lean that there is little combustion, this means very low cylinder pressure, which means no detonation.
If you tried to put load on the engine while its 2 stepping with fuel cut it would just stall out, hence the reason for tying it into the clutch switch.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Well, its 2 step, so its not under load.
Also, its not like its cutting the injectors 10% or something, its cutting them dramatically, it wont take damage from running lean because its going so lean that there is little combustion, this means very low cylinder pressure, which means no detonation.
If you tried to put load on the engine while its 2 stepping with fuel cut it would just stall out, hence the reason for tying it into the clutch switch.

I know that.. lol.. I was simply explaining to the guy why running lean under a load was bad, versus running lean without a load.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score

I know.. as I said, I was explaining the difference to the guy who asked me why it was dangerous to run lean under load, versus without a load.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
I think doing both at the same time would shut the car off but I could be wrong

You would be cutting the fuel the same time the 2 step is cutting the spark. What I need to know is if the ignition is completely cut off to the specific cylinders during the two steps operation, or, if it just retards the hell out of it. If it completely cuts the spark, then, you could cut the fuel to that specific cylinder in the sequence and it would just be a dead cylinder.

Travis

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back