My experience with my 2012 GT500 and the second gear grind issue

Tight Lines

forum member
Reaction score
What would I accomplish by shoving a foot in their ass? What else could they give me instead of fixing their mistake?

All I was stating is that you seem calm and not sure I would be. Nothing about putting a foot in their ass. Also, that I hoped your car was fixed to your satisfaction.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
All I was stating is that you seem calm and not sure I would be. Nothing about putting a foot in their ass. Also, that I hoped your car was fixed to your satisfaction.

I was actually asking for advice lol.

gtcs07

Im just kinda here
Reaction score
Tell them you want a 5.8 installed and your 5.4 returned to you just in case!

Tight Lines

forum member
Reaction score
I was actually asking for advice lol.

Sometimes it's hard to read people through posts on a forum or express your feelings correctly. It seems that you have a relationship with his dealer if I'm reading right. Yes, I would be pissed, relationship or not but I would think they would make good on any damaged caused by them. It would have to be to my liking as well and wouldn't except nothing less then perfect. Actually had an experience similar to this, my dad and I had a mutual friend that was helping us with a mint 70 Chevelle SS. As he was moving it in the shop he backed into another car. The damage was not bad, bent rear exhaust and dented rear lower panel. He called us immediately to let us know what happened and said he would fix it as if nothing ever happened. Well I was still pissed that it happened and expressed to him that I was upset. Damn Italian in me. Lol. When we received the car back it was perfect. I applaud you if you can hold back being mad as I wish I could at times. Sometimes people tell me you will get more out of it staying calmer, something I need to work on. If this is the way you are handling it I applaud you.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
The parts that Ford has installed in my car, which will apart of the TSB scheduled to be released in January 2013, did not solve the issue. Dealer is now installing aftermarket parts that I provided to see if that solves the issue for round 3. Should be done today or tomorrow.

Parts list that will be apart of Ford's TSB. These did not work.

7r3z 7a082 a kit trans control selector
ar3z 7124aa syncro assy 1-2
ar3z 7107a ring syncro
1r3z 7052aa seal asy oil
7r3z 7052a seal asy oil
ar3z 7b096a Pin roll
ar3z 7102ab gear main shaft 2nd speed
cr3z 7400a control asy -gear shift
cr3z 7b546a clutch asy

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I still believe this is a Tremec problem, not a Ford problem. If I were Ford I'd be all up in Tremec's ass to fix their hunk of junk instead of wasting money, time, and customer time throwing useless parts at it.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I still believe this is a Tremec problem, not a Ford problem. If I were Ford I'd be all up in Tremec's ass to fix their hunk of junk instead of wasting money, time, and customer time throwing useless parts at it.

It's definitely a Ford problem and not a Tremec problem.

Ford is using a remote mounted shifter and a goofy hydraulic clutch setup.

I personally feel the car is not engaging the gear and releasing the clutch quick enough. Basically, I feel there is a lag or what not. So when I the driver shift and push in the clutch, from my perspective the car has been upshifted, and essentially the shifter and clutch are slightly behind.

Plenty of people have solved this issue by replacing the clutch and the shifter with aftermarket and using torque limiters to remove the bind.

The clutch and hydraulic system is not Tremec's responsibility. The remote mounted shifter is also not Tremec. This is all Ford application design.

1 Alibi 2

If not today, when ??????
Reaction score
So the dealer installs the parts you provided & it solves the problem on your car. Will Ford include these after market items as part of the TSB resolution, I think not. There is going to be more to this in the future, issuing a TSB that doesn't work is a waste of every ones time & money..

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
So the dealer installs the parts you provided & it solves the problem on your car. Will Ford include these after market items as part of the TSB resolution, I think not. There is going to be more to this in the future, issuing a TSB that doesn't work is a waste of every ones time & money..

I definitely agree with you. Nope, this is the dealer extending this as a favor to me due to my relationship with them.

I went through round 1 and 2 with Ford and no success. So they felt let's go with what we have seen success with, which is the aftermarket route of shifter replacement, motor mounts and torque limiters.

What Ford will do after finding that their "TSB" parts do not work, I do not know. The dealer is waiting for another call back from Ford Engineering to hear what they feel "step 3" might entail.

Service Advisor told me, in the case of a stock car, it would be buy back. I personally do not want to go down this route.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I've seen/heard of plenty of reports of this same exact problem in other TR6060 applications such as the Camaro and Challenger. So I start having difficulty believing it's a Ford application problem. If it was a Ford design problem, why aren't 100% of units effected? While I rag on the 6060 I realize that not 100% of them have issues, which is why I think it's an inherent flaw in the transmission or crappy quality parts getting installed in them during assembly.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen/heard of plenty of reports of this same exact problem in other TR6060 applications such as the Camaro and Challenger. So I start having difficulty believing it's a Ford application problem. If it was a Ford design problem, why aren't 100% of units effected? While I rag on the 6060 I realize that not 100% of them have issues, which is why I think it's an inherent flaw in the transmission or crappy quality parts getting installed in them during assembly.

Chevy uses the same hydraulic setup. I'm not a transmission expert by any mean nor am I a Tremec fan boy. What I do know is, most GT500 owners are having success replacing the shifter and clutch with aftermarket and installing torque limiters and motor mounts and the issue does go away.

Those are things that are not Tremec's issue. Now do I think a transmission needs to be that coddled to work, no. What I am wondering is, why are these companies going to remote mounted shifters that are so damn sensitive to torque bind.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
The combination of installing the MGW Shifter, CHE K-Member Brace w/Torque Limiters and Steeda Motor Mounts, solved the issue.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, hope this helps put a little light on the issue. I had a tremic 3650 in my 08 gt. I too after modding the car and shifting at higher rpms would get blocked out of 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd. (stroked,blown,4.30 gears) ok, tried the hurst shifter with che tq limiters, helped the issue greatly but here is where the story ties into what I think you may end up stumbling apon. After being "fixed" it ended up doing the same thing again, so I bought a STOCK NEW 6060, and that for a while (short time 1000 miles maybe) and it started blocking me and grinding while torque up in a hard pull and at high rpms. SO, call around get some quotes (t56) wasn't out yet so I sent my 6060 to liberty gears. They went through it, upgraded everything and did the cryo treatment. SOme odd dollars later I had a car that shifts like butter. NOT EVEN A HINT of anything stopping me from going into gear. I hope you really have a fix and not a band aid but in my case it was a band aid. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, hope this helps put a little light on the issue. I had a tremic 3650 in my 08 gt. I too after modding the car and shifting at higher rpms would get blocked out of 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd. (stroked,blown,4.30 gears) ok, tried the hurst shifter with che tq limiters, helped the issue greatly but here is where the story ties into what I think you may end up stumbling apon. After being "fixed" it ended up doing the same thing again, so I bought a STOCK NEW 6060, and that for a while (short time 1000 miles maybe) and it started blocking me and grinding while torque up in a hard pull and at high rpms. SO, call around get some quotes (t56) wasn't out yet so I sent my 6060 to liberty gears. They went through it, upgraded everything and did the cryo treatment. SOme odd dollars later I had a car that shifts like butter. NOT EVEN A HINT of anything stopping me from going into gear. I hope you really have a fix and not a band aid but in my case it was a band aid. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I hope so as well, and contemplated the same as you. Whats odd is, when they took my transmission apart, it looked pretty clean.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
I never took apart my 3650 as they are well known junk lol, but my 6060 was broke when liberty took it apart.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back