My First Youtube Video!

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I really got into some of the channels on youtube that people do car reviews such as thatdudeinblue, wrxfan, etc. I made my own channel and did a quick review of my Mustang with a buddy of mine. Its nothing crazy, I just want to get a video out there. I'm working on a more "typical" review of my Charger Scat Pack with some music, panning shots, etc.

Well, check out my video, let me know what you think! Don't be to hard on me :) and if you like the video, please hit the like button!

thundr306

forum member
Reaction score
How about just a link? Whatever is above doesn't load on my phone

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
It isn't loading up right here at work (it is always hit and miss here). I'll watch when I get home, and formulate an opinion.

Moosestang is another YouTuber and member of this forum. He does quite a few reviews, and even does some for members of the forum.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It isn't loading up right here at work (it is always hit and miss here). I'll watch when I get home, and formulate an opinion.

Moosestang is another YouTuber and member of this forum. He does quite a few reviews, and even does some for members of the forum.

Take a look later and let me know your thoughts! I'll go find Moosestang vidoes. I'm assuming I can just type in his name?

looks good! I gave it a like!!

Thank you Topbliss! The video's should only get better since I got a tripod, sliding dolley and a quadcopter with a camera. I also ordered Sony Vegas Movie Studio. Which is a pain because I have no idea what Im doing with respect to editing!

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
For a first video, it actually isn't bad. You seem to have a better personality than I do (I have to work on mine a bit XD). You seemed "loose" and like you were having fun rather than a "strapped down" car review. One thing I liked about it is you had someone along for the ride just to keep the conversation rolling. Some of the YouTuber's you mentioned, that do car reviews, rarely take the owner with them and/or let them in the video. What happens then, is they won't talk that often, and what ends up in edit is a long clip with all the silent moments cut out. You also don't get that personal connection with the car that only the owner can share. Maybe your shtick, if you continue to do car reviews, could be you having the owner (or another person, like Ryan) along for the ride to help with commentary? After all, it is THEIR car.

I couldn't tell, but is that a GoPro you were recording with or another action camera? I never liked the sound of the stock GoPro mics. It sounds like everything is "tunneled." On my GoPro 2, I had a Sony ECM-DS70P which I used for the exhaust portion here:

I had the camera mounted on the back window, and I had a 25ft audio cable from the camera going through the trunk area, and had the mic mounted in the license plate area (eliminates majority of the wind noise that way).

For my GoPro 4, I bought a Edutige Dual Microphone ETM-001 with the Mini-USB Microphone Adapter Cable EGL-001. Either way, for the mics, definitely make sure you have foam or some kind of windscreen on the mics you choose.

The GoPro 4 setup is mostly going to come off of my helmet, and I was using tips suggested by DoItWithDan, a bike vlogger on YouTube. The first time I used the setup was at my birthday party, running indoor go-karts, a couple weeks ago. I still have to edit the footage and get something uploaded. Glancing at the go-kart videos, it didn't turn out bad, but I had the mic too close to my breathing area (you could partially hear my breathing through the nose). Luckily, I had not glued it in like DoItWithDan did.

Definitely get mounts, and all the mounts that you feel you can use. I only have a tripod, and whatever comes with the GoPro (aside from the helmet kit I bought recently). I wish I had the sliding dolly, drone, or some other mounts to help with outside shots.

I have Sony Vegas Pro 13, and it isn't bad. I have yet to get too advanced in the special effects and everything, but for editing footage and getting it onto YouTube, it is pretty easy. I think 12+ is needed for 4k. I definitely know Vegas 11 would not render 4k for me. I found out recently to always disable re-sampling Vegas. It cleans up the motion blur a lot with the videos.

BTW, Here is the link to Moostang09's channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_yptgUQ6FX40l0fE4ZcdA
He was the one I was referring to in the other post. ThatDudeInBlue has given him a shoutout a couple of times as well.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For a first video, it actually isn't bad. You seem to have a better personality than I do (I have to work on mine a bit XD). You seemed "loose" and like you were having fun rather than a "strapped down" car review. One thing I liked about it is you had someone along for the ride just to keep the conversation rolling. Some of the YouTuber's you mentioned, that do car reviews, rarely take the owner with them and/or let them in the video. What happens then, is they won't talk that often, and what ends up in edit is a long clip with all the silent moments cut out. You also don't get that personal connection with the car that only the owner can share. Maybe your shtick, if you continue to do car reviews, could be you having the owner (or another person, like Ryan) along for the ride to help with commentary? After all, it is THEIR car.

I really tried to be relaxed and loose. Believe it or not, I didn't feel very relaxed, I felt like I was forcing some of the conversations. The actually footage didn't turn out that bad at least. I'm sure (or I hope) I'll get better at having even more of a "natural" conversation. If you want to laugh, I hate my voice. When I heard myself talk, I was like WTF, do I sound like that!? Ryan felt the same way about his voice. I bet most people hate how they sound, lol.

I think I did two things right that day. I ask my friend (Ryan) to do the review with me and we just did it on a whim, I didn't think about it. I agree with you with having someone in the vehicle durning the reviews, I thought it would make the review more "personal". For my Charger Scat Pack review, I will be doing it solo to see how it goes.

couldn't tell, but is that a GoPro you were recording with or another action camera? I never liked the sound of the stock GoPro mics. It sounds like everything is "tunneled." On my GoPro 2, I had a Sony ECM-DS70P which I used for the exhaust portion here:

I had the camera mounted on the back window, and I had a 25ft audio cable from the camera going through the trunk area, and had the mic mounted in the license plate area (eliminates majority of the wind noise that way).

For my GoPro 4, I bought a Edutige Dual Microphone ETM-001 with the Mini-USB Microphone Adapter Cable EGL-001. Either way, for the mics, definitely make sure you have foam or some kind of windscreen on the mics you choose.

Yes, its a GoPro 1. I got it on amazon as a package deal for like $140 and it include the head attachment that I used in the video, as well as a mini sd card. It was a no brainer for someone just getting into this! I did order a mic for it, however, I learned later that the Go Pro 1 can't use a mic! I'm asking my GF for a nice camera for xmas (like a DSR or something). That will become my main camera and I'll get some type of mic for that.

The GoPro 4 setup is mostly going to come off of my helmet, and I was using tips suggested by DoItWithDan, a bike vlogger on YouTube. The first time I used the setup was at my birthday party, running indoor go-karts, a couple weeks ago. I still have to edit the footage and get something uploaded. Glancing at the go-kart videos, it didn't turn out bad, but I had the mic too close to my breathing area (you could partially hear my breathing through the nose). Luckily, I had not glued it in like DoItWithDan did.

Definitely get mounts, and all the mounts that you feel you can use. I only have a tripod, and whatever comes with the GoPro (aside from the helmet kit I bought recently). I wish I had the sliding dolly, drone, or some other mounts to help with outside shots.

How do you like your GoPro 4? I've watch DoItWithDan as well as 6foot4 Honda and my favorite is snowcatxx87- Him and I are on the same page with how people drive. I'm going to test the drone out and see the type of quality the camera is. I got a sliding dolly off of Amazon and it wasn't super expensive. Its a great investment, you can see I use it on the Traxxas video I did.

I have Sony Vegas Pro 13, and it isn't bad. I have yet to get too advanced in the special effects and everything, but for editing footage and getting it onto YouTube, it is pretty easy. I think 12+ is needed for 4k. I definitely know Vegas 11 would not render 4k for me. I found out recently to always disable re-sampling Vegas. It cleans up the motion blur a lot with the videos.

BTW, Here is the link to Moostang09's channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_yptgUQ6FX40l0fE4ZcdA
He was the one I was referring to in the other post. ThatDudeInBlue has given him a shoutout a couple of times as well.

I have been checking out tutorials on youtube & I'm getting the hang (somewhat) on how to use Sony Vegas. Hopefully that'll get easier. I'm not sure if mine can do 4k, I'd have to check (I'm sure it doesn't since it was cheap). I subscripted to Moostang09 channel, I like it. Is his car that white blwon 5.0 that DudeInBlue reviewed? What is your channel BTW? Send me a link.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
How do you like your GoPro 4? I've watch DoItWithDan as well as 6foot4 Honda and my favorite is snowcatxx87- Him and I are on the same page with how people drive. I'm going to test the drone out and see the type of quality the camera is. I got a sliding dolly off of Amazon and it wasn't super expensive. Its a great investment, you can see I use it on the Traxxas video I did.

I have been checking out tutorials on youtube & I'm getting the hang (somewhat) on how to use Sony Vegas. Hopefully that'll get easier. I'm not sure if mine can do 4k, I'd have to check (I'm sure it doesn't since it was cheap). I subscripted to Moostang09 channel, I like it. Is his car that white blwon 5.0 that DudeInBlue reviewed? What is your channel BTW? Send me a link.

I watch snowcatxx87 as well. I found him first before Dan, and the recent one I have been watching is Walterrific. Walter doesn't talk too much, but he does some funny stuff here and there. His thing is he hands out "spam cards" that have QR codes to his YouTube.

I like my GoPro 4. I get spoiled with the 4k video. I had to RMA it once because of lock-up issues (seemed to be common with some 3's and 4's). So far, it is working fine now. First time I got to use the replacement was at the go-karts. Plus GoPro gave me a free battery with the replacement. Now I have 4 batteries for it, lol.

I definitely need the sliding dolly. Like I said, all I have is a tripod (for regular cameras), and cheap one at that, so most of my shots end up "cheap." It also doesn't help that my hand naturally shakes, so I usually have to focus on a strong image stabilizer when selecting cameras. I need a wide angle lens for my Panasonic though. I feel I may get some better depth with one of those. The Panasonic I have does have amazing optical zoom though. Only downside to the Panasonic is it doesn't have 4k, so when I merge videos with it and the GoPro, I have to compromise. I may end up getting a 4k camera in the near feature to avoid that.

I'm not sure if Moostang had a blown 5.0 or not.

My channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiAS8PZa8nNF-iMtLam-Uhw?view_as=public

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
"We're all about safety first" as the fasten your seat belt chime goes off. Lol.

Last edited:

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I watch snowcatxx87 as well. I found him first before Dan, and the recent one I have been watching is Walterrific. Walter doesn't talk too much, but he does some funny stuff here and there. His thing is he hands out "spam cards" that have QR codes to his YouTube.

I like my GoPro 4. I get spoiled with the 4k video. I had to RMA it once because of lock-up issues (seemed to be common with some 3's and 4's). So far, it is working fine now. First time I got to use the replacement was at the go-karts. Plus GoPro gave me a free battery with the replacement. Now I have 4 batteries for it, lol.

I definitely need the sliding dolly. Like I said, all I have is a tripod (for regular cameras), and cheap one at that, so most of my shots end up "cheap." It also doesn't help that my hand naturally shakes, so I usually have to focus on a strong image stabilizer when selecting cameras. I need a wide angle lens for my Panasonic though. I feel I may get some better depth with one of those. The Panasonic I have does have amazing optical zoom though. Only downside to the Panasonic is it doesn't have 4k, so when I merge videos with it and the GoPro, I have to compromise. I may end up getting a 4k camera in the near feature to avoid that.

I'm not sure if Moostang had a blown 5.0 or not.

My channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiAS8PZa8nNF-iMtLam-Uhw?view_as=public

You can purchase adaptors on amazon for your go pros with respect to the tripod and sliding dolley. Amazon has some good deals right now. I just got a case, chest holder, that floating thing, and a few other things for like twenty some bucks! Its laughable how much these things are at Best Buy and other retail stores!

With respect to the Go Pro 4, is the biggest difference with that is it 4k? I have so much to learn!

"We're all about safety first" as the fasten your seat belt chime goes off. Lol.

Yea, lol! We're trying to be funny as well with my videos. I think one thing that made Top Gear so famous was the fact that even if you didn't like cars, the show was still hilarious! And who doesn't like to laugh?

Ryan & I are making a video on his Vette. We already went out at night to try a night video and that was a terrible idea! So we're going to try a day video or wait to see the if the light thing I got for the camera lights up the interior enough for a decent video.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
With respect to the Go Pro 4, is the biggest difference with that is it 4k? I have so much to learn!

I try to record at 4k-24p "Superview." Their Superview essentially opens up the FOV if you were to wear it on the helmet (which I do a lot). Gives it a more natural eyesight kind of shot.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any input? I had a lot of fun making this video.

Johnny,

Actually I think it was a FUN Video you did.

Just a couple of guys out messing around in a Mustang enjoying their day.

I gave it a "Like" buddy. :clap:

Terry

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I liked that there were two people involved.

I would also like to address the comment above about having owners in the car. It is very rare that someone gives you the keys to their car and doesn't want to ride along. 99% of the time the owner 1) Doesn't want to be on camera 2) Is very uncomfortable in front of the camera and that shows.

The camera mounted to the head like that makes me dizzy... It would be great as a B Roll shot or a cut to shot but not the main camera angle. A trick I do sometimes is use the connecting/extender go pro piece (flat with the slots on both sides) and bite down on it. They now make mouthpieces for this but its a simple hack that gives a more realistic view as if its what you are seeing.

I say keep it up man! Your video is like a crossbreed between a motovlog and a car review so I like that about it. Keep thinking of ideas and dare to be different. Something I am going to really focus on moving into 2016 for my channel. I have some ideas to stand out from other vloggers/review kinda guys.

Hope this didn't come off as know it all or arrogant as I am not trying to be. Keep it up Brotha!

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score

I would also like to address the comment above about having owners in the car. It is very rare that someone gives you the keys to their car and doesn't want to ride along. 99% of the time the owner 1) Doesn't want to be on camera 2) Is very uncomfortable in front of the camera and that shows.

The camera mounted to the head like that makes me dizzy... It would be great as a B Roll shot or a cut to shot but not the main camera angle. A trick I do sometimes is use the connecting/extender go pro piece (flat with the slots on both sides) and bite down on it. They now make mouthpieces for this but its a simple hack that gives a more realistic view as if its what you are seeing.

I say keep it up man! Your video is like a crossbreed between a motovlog and a car review so I like that about it. Keep thinking of ideas and dare to be different. Something I am going to really focus on moving into 2016 for my channel. I have some ideas to stand out from other vloggers/review kinda guys.

Hope this didn't come off as know it all or arrogant as I am not trying to be. Keep it up Brotha!

Ryan is only shy because people talk about his height :p.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Johnny,

Actually I think it was a FUN Video you did.

Just a couple of guys out messing around in a Mustang enjoying their day.

I gave it a "Like" buddy. :clap:

Terry

Thanks Terry! It means a lot!

Oh, I agree! For now, I will be doing friends cars! I can't see anyone who doesn't know me handing me their keys any time soon, lol! I'm not %100 sure what direction my videos will be going. I guess you can say I'm in the trail and error part.

Ya, I notice I was moving around way to much! I just got in my chest mount and I will be trying that out when I re-do the Vette video with Ryan. I think with my height and the Vette being so low, it should be a good POV. Dum question of the day, what is a B roll shot? I'm guessing that is the "cut to shot" your referring to.

Not arrogant at all! Your the first "youtuber" to give me some input and I greatly appreciate it!

Ryan is only shy because people talk about his height :p.

Fuck you lol

Which Ryan are we referring to? LOL

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back