My Magazine “Advertising” Smoke & Mirrors Rant

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Some time ago on a different fan boy forum I made a statement that KB was PT Barnum reincarnated as an aftermarket parts supplier. Boy did I get some hate over that one.

It's fairly obvious to anyone paying attention to the marketing because the different tech data conflicts with itself. Lot's of statements are made that have you guessing at the answer so you can insert your own conclusion.

I've only had one Mustang mag subscription. It's quite obvious that the articles are written for the shops who spend advertising dollars. All the fanboys on other sites repeating what they read or what the kool kids say are the reason this is the only forum I visit anymore.

IMO intelligent people figure this out eventually.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Some time ago on a different fan boy forum I made a statement that KB was PT Barnum reincarnated as an aftermarket parts supplier. Boy did I get some hate over that one.

It's fairly obvious to anyone paying attention to the marketing because the different tech data conflicts with itself. Lot's of statements are made that have you guessing at the answer so you can insert your own conclusion.

I've only had one Mustang mag subscription. It's quite obvious that the articles are written for the shops who spend advertising dollars. All the fanboys on other sites repeating what they read or what the kool kids say are the reason this is the only forum I visit anymore.

Wait...you are saying I can't get 50hp from a CAI by itself?

Or...30hp from a TB by itself?

Well said Bruce!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I opened a can of worms by calling out one of the bigger shops on their CAI claims for the S550. And when I say CAI, I mean HAI, as in Hot Air Intake. The factory S550 airbox is sealed to the front grill opening and will flow as much air as a 123mm CAI/MAF. You can't beat that with a stick, tons of nice cool air. But, this shop put a open element "CAI" on a S550 and made all sorts of claims. I called them on it. I said let me see some data with the hood shut and the engine bay up to normal operating temp. I got piled on by the fanboys. Morons.

It is a stone cold fact that if you want a "tech" article, you pay for it.

Unfortunately those people are a small portion of the community. So companies with this "fuzzy math" get to flourish. It's frustrating.

ExSRT8Guy

Been There, Done That
Reaction score
KB used to make some killer Buick stuff, which I believe is how they made their name. If they're not the same as they used to be, it's unfortunate.

Regarding magazines - most of the tech stuff is bullshit, catering to the advertisers, but I still subscribe to a bunch of 'em for entertainment value, and to see what current trends are.

Somewhat analogous story - in September '86, when I saw what the '87 restyling looked like, I bought a new '86 5.0, 5-speed notch. It had a stumble on tip-in; everyone that drove in for the first time, stalled it. Dealers acknowledged the problem, but the port EFI was like voodoo at the time, and no one knew how to troubleshoot it.

A few months after I bought it, Hot Rod introduced their project 5.0, using Advanced Engineering West / Kaufmann Products as their technical resource. The results and reviews were so glowing, you'd think the publisher owned those companies. Desperate to get my 5.0 to run right, I made an appointment, and drove 5 hours to SoCal to have them look at it.

First, they wrote me up for a higher hourly rate than what they quoted me the week before - though they changed it when I bitched - and then handed me over to Mark Sanchez, who you may have seen written up in a bunch of magazines. Mark was an absolute HACK; totally fucking clueless. After dicking around for a couple of hours, the man Chris Kaufmann came out, loaded for bear. He listened to it, retarded the timing - no light, just cranked the distributor - drove me around the block, and stated that it ran perfectly. When he went back into his office, I demanded they put a light on it. Timing was now 2* ATDC, as opposed to 10* BTDC spec. I had Mark adjust the timing to where it should be, and I got the fuck outta there. Absolute waste of time and money.

Synopsis - don't believe what you read, in any car mag or on the 'net, without qualifying it. Oh, and there are no 20+ HP cat-backs out there, either.

I opened a can of worms by calling out one of the bigger shops on their CAI claims for the S550. And when I say CAI, I mean HAI, as in Hot Air Intake. The factory S550 airbox is sealed to the front grill opening and will flow as much air as a 123mm CAI/MAF. You can't beat that with a stick, tons of nice cool air. But, this shop put a open element "CAI" on a S550 and made all sorts of claims. I called them on it. I said let me see some data with the hood shut and the engine bay up to normal operating temp. I got piled on by the fanboys. Morons.

When I had my Magnum SRT8, there were insane claims on the major forum about HP increases with an aftermarket intake. I did the same thing; called 'em out about the open hood, and asked for comparative #s with the hood closed. A number of boys jumped on me, and reminded me of what an idiot I am.

Last edited by a moderator:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
It's the only way for magazines to stay alive these days. Almost any print for that matter of fact. Ads, ads, and ads, that's what pays the bills.

Rip out all the ads and you get like 5 pages of actual content lol.

And what do ads do? Create a problem to something that was never the issue or a problem to begin with and sell you a fix to that problem....marketing at its finest...boom!

This applies to not only to car products but to almost everything...

lito

forum member
Reaction score

It is a stone cold fact that if you want a "tech" article, you pay for it.

Unfortunately those people are a small portion of the community. So companies with this "fuzzy math" get to flourish. It's frustrating.
Where can I see this CAI thread?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's the only way for magazines to stay alive these days. Almost any print for that matter of fact. Ads, ads, and ads, that's what pays the bills.

Rip out all the ads and you get like 5 pages of actual content lol.

And what do ads do? Create a problem to something that was never the issue or a problem to begin with and sell you a fix to that problem....marketing at its finest...boom!

This applies to not only to car products but to almost everything...

If you don't aready realize he ^^^ was spot on, you're being naive.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Mustang 6G board. I can't do a search, I was banned for giving a mod shit for protecting vendors.:omfg:

Holy hell, that place is a vendor orgy! It is worse than AFM.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
There are more threads by vendors then people.

One day on SVTP a vendor bumped 27 of his vendor threads in one hour. In case you didn't know, at SVTP when you click the 'new posts' link you only get the last 100 threads (about 4 hours worth). 1/4 of my unread threads were all from one vendor.

That vendor is also a sponsor here but he doesn't pull that shit on this forum.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
These guys don't have their 3V tuning clear and plan to offer '15 tunes, amazing.

I can only imagine how much business you have received thanks to BBR...maybe you should sponsor them?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back