Need better traction on the street. What tire?

2012GT

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running NT555's at the moment but need a better street tire that gets better traction. I'm not looking for Drag radials but a street tire with the best traction.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
IMO, if you want traction on the street,you need DRs. No street tire is going to give you any real traction.

If you are dead set on a street tire then there are several studies out there from tire manufacturers to tell you how there tire will spin less.

My guess would be a BFGoodwrench radial T/A.

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
Toyo r888's are great , but a drag radial would be best.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
I had good luck out of KDW's on the street. And they had amazing traction wet when I got caught out in it a few times

Ryan331

forum member
Reaction score
I had good luck out of KDW's on the street. And they had amazing traction wet when I got caught out in it a few times

I had KDWIIs before switching to ET Streets, awesome for corners but straight line I couldn't use first gear at all and couldn't quick shift for anything without going all over the place.. I drove for a little while on a set of 275 NT05Rs.. very quiet, good traction and still 'ok' in corners.. they'd still spin now and again but very good stability when they'd spin..

The ET streets have been phenomenal for straight line, but I only drive ~2k miles a year, I don't think they'd last too long on a daily driver

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've had a few different tires on my car. IMO you already have the best street tire in 555's but I haven't tried the NT05 yet. A set of NT05r tires would work well. I drive those in the summer and would run them all year if I could. They have traction, are quiet, and drive fine at highway speeds.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
The 555's a great street tire. Putting more rubber to the road would help traction a bunch. A DR works well if you get them hot before you go at it, but if you're spinning at your current size the same size DR will also spin, they'll just start grabbing as they lose tread and heat up. The differences in the age/quality of asphault you run on is going to make an impact on tire performance as well. Most streets aren't very clean, they have soaked up oil, coolant, and god knows what else over the years, a good rain brings all that back out, and to try and put a few hundred lb/ft of torque to grimey asphault is a hit/miss deal. I've run my M/T's DOT slicks on the street, even with a burnout they spin quite a bit on the street with a good launch. From a roll no. At the track I almost dead hook from 6k/rpm launch.

For the street, as wide as you can get, decent sidewall, and 555R should be sufficient.

Ryan331

forum member
Reaction score
The 555's a great street tire. Putting more rubber to the road would help traction a bunch. A DR works well if you get them hot before you go at it, but if you're spinning at your current size the same size DR will also spin, they'll just start grabbing as they lose tread and heat up. The differences in the age/quality of asphault you run on is going to make an impact on tire performance as well. Most streets aren't very clean, they have soaked up oil, coolant, and god knows what else over the years, a good rain brings all that back out, and to try and put a few hundred lb/ft of torque to grimey asphault is a hit/miss deal. I've run my M/T's DOT slicks on the street, even with a burnout they spin quite a bit on the street with a good launch. From a roll no. At the track I almost dead hook from 6k/rpm launch.

For the street, as wide as you can get, decent sidewall, and 555R should be sufficient.

I disagree on the drag radials on the street, night and day difference between running the 295 KDWIIs and the (LESS wide) 275 NT05Rs (was just trying them out as I had a spare set), at least in a straight line.. the 305 ET streets I'm running now beat out both of them on the street..

TorchedGT

Mustang Operator
Reaction score
i would agree with the DR for good traction on the street. however, my last trip to the track, my 285 eagle F1s in the rear bogged at the track pulling a 1.9 60ft launching at 3k. normally these tires break loose easily on the street. depending on the street conditions will make a difference. all i can say about that track day is that the track was prepped really well. made my new best on normal tires that day, 13.1 @ 107 though :D

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I went from 285 555s to 305 555Rs. The 555s were great N/A, but once I threw the s/c and 4.10s on there, they weren't worth a damn. The 555Rs however are great.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Im surprised youre having traction issues with 555s and your mods

JerryC

Reaction score
Stock, auto, from a slow roll I could spin my 285-18 555's.
With the SC, from that same slow roll it will just hook and fly with the ET Street radials, 305-35-18.
I don't have to heat them up as long as it warm outside, they pretty much hook at any time.
They ride nice too.

Ryan331

forum member
Reaction score
Stock, auto, from a slow roll I could spin my 285-18 555's.
With the SC, from that same slow roll it will just hook and fly with the ET Street radials, 305-35-18.
I don't have to heat them up as long as it warm outside, they pretty much hook at any time.
They ride nice too.

Exactly :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'm running NT555's at the moment but need a better street tire that gets better traction. I'm not looking for Drag radials but a street tire with the best traction.
Not looking for DR's but want more bite than 555's? You should be looking at tires with less than 300 treadwear (which is where the 555's are at) but more than 140 or so.

Within the Nitto lineup, that leaves you with the Invo (260 treadwear) and the NT05 (200 treadwear, NOT to be confused with the NT05R DR). The Invo is claimed to be slightly better than the 555 either dry or wet, and the NT05 a clear step better still in the dry but not quite as good as the 555 in the wet.

Norm

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
I say that depends on your power level hahah. I had 555R on my bolt on 04 gt and they were better than my stock tires in the rain.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
^ AGREED
I went from a nitto 555R 305/40/r18
To a Mickey Thompson Sportsmen S/R, hoping to get "Improved Wet Traction"
Turns out my Nittos were far superior in the wet, MT's stepped out on me a few times where the 555Rs would hold.
4:10s in the back.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back