New Found Power

Timbostang

Boost junkie!
Reaction score
I have a new love for my Mustang. I've been noticing the power falling off for quite a while now as well as alot of lag with the turbo. I couldn't even get up past 8psi. I pulled the turbo off to take it in for a rebuild and the guy didn't see anything wrong with it until he saw something deep in the turbine housing. He pulled the hot side off and low and behold there is about a 8" piece of the steel wool looking crap out of the catalytic converters stopping up the turbo.:oops1: Anyone that has gutted their cats know what I am talking about.

Now that the turbo is back on I'm finally getting to see the potential. I got to see for a brief second what 17psi feels like and now I am longing for a built motor. I've got it set on 12psi right now and the street tires just spin if i hit it at 60mph in 3rd gear. I know all of the stock driveline is in trouble now. Car has been 11.88 with the restriction in it. I'm hoping for 11.50's or better now. I was never able to build any boost on the 2-step before and now it builds 6psi. at 5k.:rockon:

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you considered getting rid of the converters or is it law to have them?

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Id keep the knocked out cats on there that way if they do the "look" test you will pass. I am in that problem right now along with rear end problems. I guess I will have to buy a catted shorty x pipe just to pass my "look" test. What a waste of 400 bucks.

Last edited:

Timbostang

Boost junkie!
Reaction score
I'm thinking about welding a straight through pipe through the converters to keep the exhaust pulsing normal. The hollowed cat chambers are probably not a good flow through. It would be nice to be able to have 2 separate exhaust systems with 2 tunes to swap out for emissions testing but I need to focus on the driveline for now.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that your car is back in optimal running condition Timbostang. Do you think you would be able to go to Lonestar Motorsports Park in Sealy next weekend? They're having another 1/4 mile/1/8 mile event.

Timbostang

Boost junkie!
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that your car is back in optimal running condition Timbostang. Do you think you would be able to go to Lonestar Motorsports Park in Sealy next weekend? They're having another 1/4 mile/1/8 mile event.

I'm probably going to the midnight 1320 in Sealy with some people. I think it is on the 24th.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to the midnight 1320 in Sealy with some people. I think it is on the 24th.

Yeah it is on the 24th. :) I hope I can come out that weekend to see you run some good times. Maybe the weather will be in the low 60's then like it has been this weekend, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had my D1 blow my high flow cats guts out, and ruin my rear o2s so I just got all the core stuff out and left the h pipe on there so it looks like there are cats. Definitely get it retuned if you go this route.

h8imports

forum member
Reaction score
it's the law everywhere. just not everywhere checks.

It's not against the law to drive a car without cats in the state of Alabama. However it is against the law to take them off. If you buy a car with out cats it is legal to drive it.

ROUSH STAGE 4

ANIL8R
Reaction score
Bad kitty...BAD...lol

19220d4f.jpg

I might try to make it to Sealy on the 24'th too Timbo. I'm waiting on a back ordered rear end housing spherical bearing from Steeda right now...then I should be set!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back