New PB at Texas Motorplex

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
What is a good PSI to have the ET Streets at to start out with? I had them at 28PSI. Is that too much?

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I got quite a bit of spin, and I should have clarified, yesterday when I went to Kennedale, Texas Raceway, is when I dead hooked once but spun bad the other runs. I think it was a combination of not so great prep, and every street car dragging water onto the lanes. I'll try starting at 25PSI this Friday if I make it to Motorplex's Fast Friday. I need to ask them to give me the PT, I like it better than the amateur tree.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Just keep dropping till you hook. Like I said, I run on 18 psi and it works for me.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was great air that night despite the track surface being a little cold.

Thanks! She definitely pulls hard once I'm in the top of 3rd gear and all through 4th. My gearing and tire height are perfect right now IMO. 1/8th I'm passing through the traps around 7,100RPM in 3rd. 1/4 mile I'm passing through the traps around 6,900-7,000RPM in 4th.
How are you reaching 7100? My car shits itself at 7k and cuts fuel.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Your car sounds excellent going down the strip! Good run, especially the trap. I'd be looking into a set of dedicated bias ply slicks to throw on when you get to the track. Alot of 03/04 Cobra owners were running good times and kept the stock IRS living decently while running bias ply slicks. Most of them swore the flex in the sidewall took alot of the shock away that drag radials and street tires put on the half-shafts. I think a little pre-load with the e-brake and slight engagement of the clutch is a good idea as well, prior to launching.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Your car sounds excellent going down the strip! Good run, especially the trap. I'd be looking into a set of dedicated bias ply slicks to throw on when you get to the track. Alot of 03/04 Cobra owners were running good times and kept the stock IRS living decently while running bias ply slicks. Most of them swore the flex in the sidewall took alot of the shock away that drag radials and street tires put on the half-shafts. I think a little pre-load with the e-brake and slight engagement of the clutch is a good idea as well, prior to launching.

Thanks! I'm not going to run slicks. As I mentioned before I drive my car on the street frequently and like last night, I got caught in some heavy rain headed home. I need a tire I can run on the street and handle decent in rain when need be. E-brake? No, I just need to find the right pressure and rpm to get a good 60'.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
You'd be using the e-brake as a staging brake. I had a friend who swore by it in his evo, he would stage shallow, slightly hit the stage, slip the clutch to break the second beams, and hold the staging brake to stay there. Lift the clutch right as you release the staging brake, and it keeps any play on the driveline taught so you don't build inertia in the driveline components and shatter shit as it hits.

Like axles, and transfer cases.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
You'd be using the e-brake as a staging brake. I had a friend who swore by it in his evo, he would stage shallow, slightly hit the stage, slip the clutch to break the second beams, and hold the staging brake to stay there. Lift the clutch right as you release the staging brake, and it keeps any play on the driveline taught so you don't build inertia in the driveline components and shatter shit as it hits.

Like axles, and transfer cases.

Pre-loading the entire drive-train helped quite a bit on my old 04 Cobra with wheel-hop, as it also has with my stock suspension 2012 when I was running the stock street tires, now it's better with DR's, but I'll certainly use it at the track if it starts acting up with wheel hop.

Pre-loading the suspension is also why I think you never hear about wheel hop complaints from the 6R80 guys, and people getting 1.6's on stock suspensions with drag radials and a stall.

I heard about doing this from a forum guy who was consistantly in the mid 10's with his stock IRS 03Cobra, and to me it makes sense, and has personally helped me with a few cars.

Last edited:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Pre-loading the entire drive-train helped quite a bit on my old 04 Cobra with wheel-hop, as it also has with my stock suspension 2012 when I was running the stock street tires, now it's better with DR's, but I'll certainly use it at the track if it starts acting up with wheel hop.

Pre-loading the suspension is also why I think you never hear about wheel hop complaints from the 6R80 guys, and people getting 1.6's on stock suspensions with drag radials and a stall.

I heard about doing this from a forum guy who was consistantly in the mid 10's with his stock IRS 03Cobra, and to me it makes sense, and has personally helped me with a few cars.

I could understand doing that for a stock IRS, but mine is beefed up with BMR differential and cradle poly bushings so wheel hop is not an issue for me anymore. The addition of BMR performance springs and DRs planted it for good.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back