No 1st gear in TR6060

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
I just got my TR6060 fixed because I had the dreaded 2nd gear grind. My mechanic replaced the 1-2 syncrho, shift fork and blocker ring. At first the shifting was short, and tight but after the trans warmed up the shifting to all the gears gradually became longer and longer. After about 20min of driving in stop in go traffic, the trans wouldn't go into 1st gear intermittently and I would have to shift into 2nd or 6th and then back into 1st. Plz help

I have put 500 miles on my car with at least 4-5 heat cycles since I got it back on Friday. Today when I first started my car up and shifted, it shifted flawlessly. It wasn't until after atleast 10-15min of driving that the symptoms recurred. At least 1/2 of that was on the highway.

Can anybody tell me if this is a normal break-in or is this an installer mess up?

SONIC

forum member
Reaction score
From a stop. Like I said in the above post this only happens ater 15min of driving and it feels like the gears arn't aligned because once I put it into 2nd it goes into 1st.:tdown:

shoot me your email. i have a new TSB that might help you..

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
I've had that problem with a previous car... my top three gueses would be it's due to incorrect clutch engagement, shift linkage, or shift fork. With my car it wouldn't go into gear, but wouldn't grind at all either. I tried letting out on the clutch just a hair for a second or to and then it would usually go right into gear without having to put it into another gear first. Mine was a combination of needing a clutch adjustment and shift linkage.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As Ive stressed in many threads... clutch set up in GT's w/ TR6060's is a pita.

I get my clutche/pressure plate/flywheel specifically set up... for some reason, these combos dont like the off the shelf combos... you may even need tob shimming... NO TSB is going to fix this, nor will a stealership:omfg:

SONIC

forum member
Reaction score
As Ive stressed in many threads... clutch set up in GT's w/ TR6060's is a pita.

I get my clutche/pressure plate/flywheel specifically set up... for some reason, these combos dont like the off the shelf combos... you may even need tob shimming... NO TSB is going to fix this, nor will a stealership:omfg:

funny you say "stealership" guess you had some bad experiences. the tsb i refered to was just updated and is about the clutch setup. its for information only so mabey he can figure out whats going on with his setup! and i have fixed many of peoples prolbems over the years that have done different combos. its coments like yours is why most dealers say "sorry sir you modified your car so its not covered" FYI all dealerships warranty decisions is up to the dealership manager. :newbie:

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
funny you say "stealership" guess you had some bad experiences. the tsb i refered to was just updated and is about the clutch setup. its for information only so mabey he can figure out whats going on with his setup! and i have fixed many of peoples prolbems over the years that have done different combos. its coments like yours is why most dealers say "sorry sir you modified your car so its not covered" FYI all dealerships warranty decisions is up to the dealership manager. :newbie:

Exhibit: A

U no work'a onnna mah cahh... eeeevvva-eva!

Last edited:

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Update $1800 and 6 weeks later my car is back and better than ever. I must say that I love the short precise throws with the 6spd even with the stock shifter. I can honestly say you GT500 guys are spoiled compared to the T5 in the v6's.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm confused. I thought you had the 2nd gear grind fixed then the 1st gear issue showed up afterward. Did you have to have the same parts replaced twice? Which parts were they?

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
I'm confused. I thought you had the 2nd gear grind fixed then the 1st gear issue showed up afterward. Did you have to have the same parts replaced twice? Which parts were they?

I took it in to get the 2nd gear grind fix/ Reverse grind and when I got it back it was fine for a couple miles. Until one of the carter pins fell off that was connecting the shifter to the trans. Shop replaced them for free and now all is well.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I took it in to get the 2nd gear grind fix/ Reverse grind and when I got it back it was fine for a couple miles. Until one of the carter pins fell off that was connecting the shifter to the trans. Shop replaced them for free and now all is well.
Ahhh, thanks for the clarification.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back