No traction off of the line

forum member
Reaction score
I am having some issues hooking up at the track. I usually race at the local track which is an 1/8 mile track. I routinely get little traction. The setup is as follows: 3.55 rear gear, 275/4017 MT ET Street radial (14psi), BMR Upper control arm and bracket (lower hole), BMR lca, BMR relocation brackets (middle hole), stock suspension otherwise, about 450 hp, tr3650, & leaving the line as low as 2500 rpm. This yields 2.0 60 foot time. The mods were done gradually with almost no improvement in the 60' time.
Last month, I took the car to another track that is quite a bit farther away. It is a 1/4 mile track and much better prepared. I did the same burn out (1st gear @ about 5k rpm for about 10 seconds). I got traction there to point that car bogged. The same set up still spins at the 1/8 mile track. There is no doubt that 1/8 mile track is not prepped in the same way as the 1/4 mile track. What can I do to get my car to hook on an ill-prepared track? Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks for the help.

DVEST8R

forum member
Reaction score
I am having some issues hooking up at the track. I usually race at the local track which is an 1/8 mile track. I routinely get little traction. The setup is as follows: 3.55 rear gear, 275/4017 MT ET Street radial (14psi), BMR Upper control arm and bracket (lower hole), BMR lca, BMR relocation brackets (middle hole), stock suspension otherwise, about 450 hp, tr3650, & leaving the line as low as 2500 rpm. This yields 2.0 60 foot time. The mods were done gradually with almost no improvement in the 60' time.
Last month, I took the car to another track that is quite a bit farther away. It is a 1/4 mile track and much better prepared. I did the same burn out (1st gear @ about 5k rpm for about 10 seconds). I got traction there to point that car bogged. The same set up still spins at the 1/8 mile track. There is no doubt that 1/8 mile track is not prepped in the same way as the 1/4 mile track. What can I do to get my car to hook on an ill-prepared track? Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks for the help.
OK. Move the uca back to the upper hole and try that to start. I believe since it appears as you are at stock ride height you may have too much anti squat since you have lca relo brackets in the middle hole. Generally speaking radial tire plus manual trans is a bad combo. I'd say moving to a bias ply tire will help out a lot esp since I think you need to raise launch rpm. In the event you stick to the radial, it is my opinion that 14 psi is to low.

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
Move to a bias ply. I couldn't get mine to hook on dr with a stick without riding the clutch a bunch. Bias ply 6k dump

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Start at 18psi as mentioned. THEN work out your issues. Gotta have good rubber before you try and figure out anything else and 14psi is crazy low for the 1/8th.

wckdgt

forum member
Reaction score
If you must get radials then get the Mickey Thompson 275 Pro ET Streets.

these?

et_street_radial_pro.jpg

wckdgt

forum member
Reaction score
yea I was wanting to do a 26" tall tire, im running a 3.55 right now and I don't really want to change it since its my DD

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I will try moving the the uca to the top hole. As for radial vs bias ply. I drive the car to the track with the dr's on. I was unsure if mixing bias ply and radials is a good idea.
I am confused about tire pressure. 14 is too low? I moved to 14 from 18. Shouldn't lower tire pressure give me better traction at launch? MT says that 14 is the lowest tire pressure http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech.php?bulletin=s3 .
As for which tire I selected: I spent some time (over) thinking this one. I ruled out the MT Pro ET Streets. There is a chance I could get stuck in the rain with the drag radials on the car. I think the Pro Streets would be more than an adventure in the rain than I am willing to take. I went with 17 inch rim because I didn't want to relocate my sway bar (I regret that decision). I went with 26" because my car has 3.55 and is daily driven (non dr tires are 27"). I will change the gears at some point but I am still undecided between 3.73.and 4.10. I want to get the traction problem solved before I go to a lower gear.

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
Don't waste your time with the 3.73 unless you don't want to step up to a 28" tire 4.10 are the way to go with these cars. I ran my 07 with 4.56 and a 26 tire at the track but I did have the 6060 trans in mine. But 4.10's and that 3650 will run great that was my first combo.

I also agree that 14psi is way low for your car's weight, to little pressure can be as bad as to much you are still messing with the contact patch.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
True that, this is me with 14 psi on hooiser QTP's... lol

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I will try moving the the uca to the top hole. As for radial vs bias ply. I drive the car to the track with the dr's on. I was unsure if mixing bias ply and radials is a good idea.
I am confused about tire pressure. 14 is too low? I moved to 14 from 18. Shouldn't lower tire pressure give me better traction at launch? MT says that 14 is the lowest tire pressure http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech.php?bulletin=s3 .
As for which tire I selected: I spent some time (over) thinking this one. I ruled out the MT Pro ET Streets. There is a chance I could get stuck in the rain with the drag radials on the car. I think the Pro Streets would be more than an adventure in the rain than I am willing to take. I went with 17 inch rim because I didn't want to relocate my sway bar (I regret that decision). I went with 26" because my car has 3.55 and is daily driven (non dr tires are 27"). I will change the gears at some point but I am still undecided between 3.73.and 4.10. I want to get the traction problem solved before I go to a lower gear.

ET STREET RADIAL
On the racetrack DO NOT use starting pressures below 11 psi.​
Recommend pressures for:
P295 and larger sizes: 12-16 psi​
P275 and smaller sizes: 14-18 psi​

Heavy car, stick transmission takes more air. If you are to low the tires wad up like in the video.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Bias ply obviously will stick way better but they have that death sway on the top end....I hated that feeling when I ran them. Of course I was running my DD front tires as most of us do. Having a prepped track is key.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back