No traction off of the line

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I've been watching this thread since it started.

I was treed, immediately. The recommendations I was going to post, were already posted.

I'll be watching for results.

FWIW, one of the best sixty footing N/A "bolt-on" 3V's I know of, has BMR Springs....UCA in upper hole, LCA in Middle.....and MT 275 Pro Radials. He side steps the clutch from 6000+RPM and consistently runs 1.5 to the sixty. Great 60's for 3600lbs and 300hp.

chad-w.jpg

Way to make us feel like shit kelly :thumb2:
Hopefully I will be in the mid 1.6's next time out!

forum member
Reaction score
The weather cooperated today but the car did not. The current changes were to raise the uca to mount in the upper hole and raise the tire pressure to 18psi. I would say this was a fail today. I got 5 runs to today. The 60 foot times are as follows (and in the order that they occured leaving @ 3000rpm except as noted): 2.01, 1.98, 2.32 (I left at 2000 rpm still spinning but less), 2.19, 2.14.
I spoke to some other folks who are regulars at this track. In summary, poor track prep on these test and tune nights is not unusual. Other have similar problems. However, not as bad as mine. I was told to try racing there on their regular race night when the track is prepared as best as they are willing to prepare it to get an idea if the car will get traction at this track. That's all fine and I will try it but it costs twice as much to race and I get less runs.
If I can make it there on the regular race night next week, I will try the current set up. If I return on the test and tune night, I want to try raising the lca to the top hole (moved from the middle hole) on the relocation brackets. Does anyone have any other ideas short of trying bias ply drag tires?

forum member
Reaction score
Update. A friend let me borrow a set of Hoosier D.O.T. Drag Radials (315/30/18) for some runs on the low traction night. There was no change in performance but it was worth a try.
The weather and schedule have not been cooperating but I had the chance to race at the same track on their "regular" race night (not test and tune night). What a difference. I used the MT ET Street radials set to 18 pounds and I made no changes to the rear suspension (upper hole mount for uca, middle hole for lca, left at 3k rpm) and the car did two 1.83 second 60' foot times. The 3rd run there was a track issue and I tried a 4k launch and the car didn't like that. The tires spun but not as bad as usual (2.0 60').
I realize that this is only one attempt on the regular race night but the car is much fastest (by about a half of a second) and does much better 60' times. I would love to continue racing there on the test and tune night but if I am going to just spin my tires, what's the point? I live in the Northeast and racing will be done here in about 2 weeks. I think the plan for this winter will be to go to a 15 inch rim/tire combo (if i can find an inexpensive 15 inch rim that fits) and try the test and tune night again. If I still can't get traction, I will just stick to the regular race nights.
Thanks for the help all.

slb

forum member
Reaction score
MT 275 Pro Radials -
So has anyone with a manual trans and over 550 RWHP used these with success , or is it still bias ply for the win ?

forum member
Reaction score
I really don't have a build thread so I guess continuing here will work.
Over the winter, I did the following:
-Changed RST to RXT
-Replaced the input shaft on the 3650 to 26 spline (also changed 5th gear, great mod for those interested in good highway rpm)
-Rebuilt the rear end with 4.10's, Eaton Tru-Trac, and welded the axle tubes
-Replaced rear springs with "Q" springs
-Replaced rear shocks with Strange single adjustable shocks
-Ran 15 inch MT ET Street Radials that I got on a swap deal.

Friday (5/8), I went to the local 1/8th mile track. It was a hot night (by WNY standards) and the track was prepped VERY well until about half track (which was plenty fine for my power level). Apparently, I forgot how to drive (there is a reason for that) so the first two runs were a waste. I need to get used to the RXT pedal. So I really only had one run to look at. The car ran 8.07 @ 88.91 mph. The tires spun a little (18psi). I had wheel hop out of the burnout which I thought was odd. I set the rear shocks to 5 clicks from soft.
I just wanted to post an update. The night was not good for comparison of past performance. For the next night at the track, I will have the front sway removed (I wanted to to get an idea of how it would run with it attached).
I also need to decide if I am replacing the driveshaft with a one piece Dynotech or replacing the front struts with Strange single adjustable so I can install the front "Q" springs. I can't do both the driveshaft and struts. As soon as SVE Drags come back in stock, I will get MT ET Street bias ply tires. It should be a busy and expensive year for me.

Last edited:

forum member
Reaction score
I am getting pretty close to buying bias ply for the rear. MT must use a Chinese ruler to measure their tires. I currently run MT ET Street Radial
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadial
This one:
3754R P275/60R15 28 X 11.50R15 33 R2 7.5-9.5 8 11 9.5 28 87
I was looking at this ET street: http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreet
3754 28X11.50-15LT 22 M5 90000000289 8 11.1 8.6 27.6 87
How can a tire with the same listed size (28 x 11.5) have different measurements (tread width 8.6 on the bias ply & 9.5 on radial)? How much different in size are these two tires? Will the 3754 fit on a 10 inch rim or do I need to go to the 3758 ?

3758 27X10.50-15LT 22 M5 90000000289 8 10.6 8.9 27 85

Back