Painted fenders?

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I bought these a while back.. just sitting in a box.

I called to auto paint places.. one gives me an est of $600 and the other tells me 1500! just to paint them.. I can put them on myself..

They both tell me they need to paint the doors and hood? I thought they could color match.. so I dont get it.. also for screamn yellow how much color change could it have got from the original color?

Can this be done with sanding and spray cans? at home or am I going to get bent over

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You are going to get what you pay for. I learned this first hand a few years ago.

With that said, paint (for a variety of reasons I'm sure) seems to cost a damn arm and a leg here in California. Dude wanted $700 to paint part of my hood. Not the whole thing, just a part.

I've reached a point where it's cheaper for me to do it myself and fuck it up a few times until I get it right as opposed to paying people. Won't be spraying exterior stuff with rattle cans, but I'm damn sure going to learn how to use a gun.

Guess it depends on your time, budget, resources and patience.

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
i was told there was actually 2 shades of screaming yellow made in 2006 when i went to get paint(guy coulda been full of shit IDK).
anyway they did a paint match on mine and it was close enough for me and i've never had anyone pick out the painted part and if they did...who the hell cares.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know when I had my hood painted the body shop did the front fenders also. He said it would be very obvious I had just painted the hood alone, if I didn't match the fenders.

lostsoul

Reaction score
ahha.. well I know for sure I wont try another plasti dip attempt.. hah

svtrojan

forum member
Reaction score
I had some paintwork done on my old F150: I had the hood replaced and repainted, took it to a really good shop, they wound up blending the paint on the fenders so the paint matched. From what I was told, the paint does fade over time, and if you just paint with the stock color, it'll look off. Came out really nice but I paid a good sum for it. Then, right before I sold it, I decided to paint the grille shell. Just took it in to a local, cheap collision shop and they sprayed it for under $100. Came out completely off even though they had the correct paint code. You really do get what you pay for, and for something as big as fenders, I'd leave it to the pros unless you have some good equipment and someone can teach ya how to do it. Just my .02. Those are some sick fenders though, good luck!

speedfreak1000

2 sided tape expert
Reaction score
just looked st the fenders you bought, they look bad ass. i'd take it to a pro and just pay the money. if they dont come out right its gonna look like major shit. if its done right it will damn good and set the car off.

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ahha.. well I know for sure I wont try another plasti dip attempt.. hah

And I can tell you that trying paint them with spray cans will turn out to be just a much of a nightmare.

I had my Cervini hood sprayed with the car 1 year old & it didn't match perfectly but it was acceptable. I believe one of the problems is the underside color & material of the painted parts. My plastic chin spoiler turned out lighter than the factory bumper. Grey primer on the chin spoiler & I believe the factory bumper cover was black before the paint. Your fenders are fibreglass & the hood & doors are metal.

Have them done by the pros.

lostsoul

Reaction score
ahhhhhh.. Well looks like I will have to hold out longer then. maybe my son can put them on when he gets the car in another 18 years.. haha

lostsoul

Reaction score
I'm in shit hole stockton, ca (second city to go BK).. home to the hookers and crack pipes... It took years to get out of here.. then I married and her family is here and now I'm back.. ahhhhhhhhh

EGNARO

Orange Backwards
Reaction score
on grabber orange it costs me about 200 to get a single fender done, because they need to blend the hood, door, and bumper.

my guy charges me 700 to repray the entire frontend in Ny, but hes a good friend and ive given him over 10k in business as far as insurance claims

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lostsoul

Reaction score
yea.. its gonna cost.. I was going to look for a place this weekend, but I got family issues to take care of. maybe some people around this area might know someone.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
When I had my hood replaced they had to blend in the fenders and front bumper. Trust me. I painted my white and black mustang and it is not easy. And even easier to screw it up. Take it to a professional that knows what they are doing.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back