Pics & Vid of dash water leak fix for 05+ Mustangs

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
What would be the downside to plugging these things up?

How about maybe cutting the smallish tips off and extending the drains a good length away from the engine bay, if possible, with a rubber hose?

Gerardo

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
What would be the downside to plugging these things up?

How about maybe cutting the smallish tips off and extending the drains a good length away from the engine bay, if possible, with a rubber hose?

Gerardo

The downside to plugging them up would be the rain water has nowhere to go except into your passenger floorboard. Seriously, quit complicating it. Just remove the rubber pieces and throw them in the trunk or the glovebox. If you ever notice anything different with them missing then you can put them back in (would take all of 30 seconds).

This isn't a big deal.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
The downside to plugging them up would be the rain water has nowhere to go except into your passenger floorboard. Seriously, quit complicating it. Just remove the rubber pieces and throw them in the trunk or the glovebox. If you ever notice anything different with them missing then you can put them back in (would take all of 30 seconds).

This isn't a big deal.

I've been following this and the other thread on the subject. I meant the other holes. I should have made that destinction.

I cleaned out those bottom drain plugs, replaced the cabin filter, and no longer get that beautiful waterfall from under my glovebox. Now I only get a nice stream down the side of both the driver and passenger's side kick panels. I'm thinking it's these plugs that have gone bad.

Any reason why Ford doesn't want you to use silicon? In the 20 or so years I've been Mustanging that stuff has never failed me. Its resistance to heat, cold, weather, time, expansion, contraction, etc... is pretty impressive, IMO.

Gerardo

WaterLeak-3.jpg

J2L06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I used "Marine GOOP" to seal these 4 years ago and they are still
holding strong, I took the foam gasket out when I did mine.
The reason silicone doesn't work is it really isn't an adhesive, it
will peal off after awhile, GOOP is a true flexible adhesive and the
Marine grade is UV resistant.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
I used "Marine GOOP" to seal these 4 years ago and they are still
holding strong, I took the foam gasket out when I did mine.
The reason silicone doesn't work is it really isn't an adhesive, it
will peal off after awhile, GOOP is a true flexible adhesive and the
Marine grade is UV resistant.

I'm assuming I can get this stuff at the local AutoZone? Is that its proper name, Marine Goop?
Thanks,

Gerardo

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
I found it! They sell it in Advanced Auto Parts.

I'm going to seal that middle hole. Whatever was there before deteriorated and fell in. Thanks for the tip!

Gerardo

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
Mustangs have had issues with the cowls since '64...

Lstar

Reaction score
I'm in the bodyshop business and a couple of years ago a regular customer called me to say she was at her wits end on this issue. She had taken her girls 05 Mustang back to the local Ford dealership for this issue 3 times and spend over $700 and they finally told her they could not do anything else for her. The first thing i did was pull the TSB on the issue and they had done them all. It said to replace the cowl covers and the seals around the pass door. Nothing about the drains. I found the fix on one of these boards and had her drains open in ten minuets. Needless to say she raised all hell with Ford but only got half her money back.

The quickest way to clear the drains is to pull them out from below and flush the cowl. Nothing to take apart that way.

Larry Starkey
Starkey Collision
D&L Motors

jpz

Reaction score
Amazing write up. I think I'll be looking into this on mine. Probably due for a cabin filter as well.

Scrat

forum member
Reaction score
bringing back an old thread here but i had a small leak again in my car this morning on both pass and driver kick panel. I heard it when i started driving but it wasn't a rush of water coming in more like a drip. Now i just went out and resealed the cowl clips and even threw some rtv around the windshield positioners so hopefully that may do the trick. If not i'll tackle the door sill seals next even though i may just do them regardless if the leak stops. Now i seen the thread on how it was fixed but i dont know what thickness seal to get from lowes or just see if ford has a replacement seal. Does anyone know what thickness to get?

Last edited:

Redfire06

Reaction score
Thank you Sharad for this thread. After a hard rainy day I had a few kiddie pools on my passenger side floor and then a spectacular waterfall from my glove box on the ride home. I just spent ten minutes fixing the problem. The drain plug was cruddy and sealed closed. Now time to dry up the rest of the mess.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you Sharad for this thread. After a hard rainy day I had a few kiddie pools on my passenger side floor and then a spectacular waterfall from my glove box on the ride home. I just spent ten minutes fixing the problem. The drain plug was cruddy and sealed closed. Now time to dry up the rest of the mess.

No problem dude. Glad it helped! And I can't remember if I mentioned it in this thread, but I used Meguiar's Odor Eliminator to get rid of the musty smell. It worked well.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I have water leaks on both passenger side and driver side in heavy rain!
Yesterday my speakers were messed up, no bass for like an hour then it came back.

And it's not what is described here because those areas are clear, not sure what my next step is.
It's still a bit wet on the corner of the driver side floor behind the clutch pedal.
I guess I just have to cover it up when it rains.

I wonder if some door seal/window shit is on it's last leg.

Last edited:

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have water leaks on both passenger side and driver side in heavy rain!
Yesterday my speakers were messed up, no bass for like an hour then it came back.

And it's not what is described here because those areas are clear, not sure what my next step is.
It's still a bit wet on the corner of the driver side floor behind the clutch pedal.
I guess I just have to cover it up when it rains.

I wonder if some door seal/window shit is on it's last leg.

Did you check those female clips from the TSB?

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
My fucking passenger side is wet. Thanks for the write up Sharad. I'll be using this once it quits raining here.

BlueSoulStang

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome write up, man! A buddy of mine just recently had this problem. I'll make sure to pass it on to him!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back