Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Fuck it, be the next Mustang meme

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

allworknoplay

New to the streets
Reaction score
Okay, so the other day a co-worker and I got to talking about plasti-dip and what not. Well I mentioned how I have seen people with dipped calipers and seems pretty cool. With out skipping a beat he was all freaked out and saying they are wanting to get into an accident. Finally I was able to ask, why this would hurt your brakes? Why is this different than any other spray paint for calipers? Only thing I could see where it can be bad, is it your brakes get over 300 degrees. His answer was valid. "If you really want to have something to look nice then you must spend the money and do it right."

So I ask this group of well educated peeps, how do you feel about doing this?

Last edited:

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
I probably would not dip the calipers. Not because of the heat, but because of the process of spraying. Would need to remove the entire caliper from the car and disassemble to do it properly.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
After trying to get the dip off my wheels, don't put plastidip where brake dust happens. It's not a happy fun dip experience, it's a tragic one

allworknoplay

New to the streets
Reaction score
After trying to get the dip off my wheels, don't put plastidip where brake dust happens. It's not a happy fun dip experience, it's a tragic one

Yeah, when I had my H3, I dipped my wheels black and 1st time was really bad due to not having enough dip on them. finally around the 4th time they came off no problem. I agree tho brake dust is a pain on plasti-dip

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with dipping calipers, but I wouldn't do it, based on what the other guys have said. I bet removing it would be a royal PITB.

I have brush painted calipers before with Dupli-color caliper paint, and it looked amazing! Plus, it held up quite well for three years or so before I traded the car, only needing an occasional touch up.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Here is what the first google search came up with.

"Plasti Dip® can resist up to 200°F, and has been known to handle the heat and abuse produced at racing or rally car events. However, heat resistance really depends on how long Plasti Dip is exposed to that heat, and how you expect the coating to perform in that heat. In general, if the coating will not be subject to impacts, nor is it expected to resist abrasion or chemicals, and if it's just for a short amount of time, most Plasti Dip surfaces would be able to handle temperatures outside the listed range. Always test first."

allworknoplay

New to the streets
Reaction score
Here is what the first google search came up with.

"Plasti Dip® can resist up to 200°F, and has been known to handle the heat and abuse produced at racing or rally car events. However, heat resistance really depends on how long Plasti Dip is exposed to that heat, and how you expect the coating to perform in that heat. In general, if the coating will not be subject to impacts, nor is it expected to resist abrasion or chemicals, and if it's just for a short amount of time, most Plasti Dip surfaces would be able to handle temperatures outside the listed range. Always test first."

Time to test on the beater car lol

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
I know that Gabe has his exhaust tips dipped or did at least. Not sure what temps those get up to on a longer drive or hard driving.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back