Ported Heads and Stock Cams?

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you really would gain much if you run CNC ported heads and stock cams? I have a set of Stage 3 FRPP heads and I am planning to keep the stock cams in for my turbo setup as most say they are just fine for a turbo 4.6. Any gains from running these heads vs. running the stage 1 FRPP ported heads (which I have already on the car)?

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
I would think since you're boosted you would certainly see a gain from them, even with stock cams.

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Ok yeah that is what I was thinking since they do flow more than the heads I have on. Plus the fact they have upgraded springs, retainers and valves are oversized.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Uh, what is a stage 1 FRPP head?

FRPP makes:
-Stock reproduction heads
-CNC/Ported heads
-High-flow CNC/Ported heads

One thing you have to realize about the high-flow heads aside from that they cost $1,650 a piece is that the combustion chamber is larger, thus lowering your compression ratio = less power (at same boost).

I don't think you will see a drastic difference between the standard CNC/Ported heads and the high-flow ones due to using a stock cam and lowering your compression ratio.

Now, if you add a higher lift cam and raise the boost, then thats a different story.
In order to take advantage of the performance heads, you really need a better cam.

The performance of the heads will be limited by the cam and cam timing.

roberts

forum member
Reaction score
why spend 1600 a peace for heads and not just put custom cams and all that in it. Might as well if ur spending that much. just what I think!

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
I already own both set of the heads. Right at the moment I did not plan to get cams. I was just trying to understand the difference.

pwd72s

forum member
Reaction score
Long ago, I was told to think of an engine as an air pump. Increasing the flow of air is good for power. With boost? I'd listen to those who make the blower as far as cams are concerned.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced that ported heads are worth anything on these motors when boost is involved.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I don't think there is any reason you can't use stock cams with the heads. Would you gain power if you used custom cams....probably. Are those heads better than having to spend money on stock heads....well most definitely.

Talk to the guys at Bullet Racing Cams if you want something setup for your car. Thats where I and a few others have got custom turbo grinds from.

DevGittinJr

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
One thing you have to realize about the high-flow heads ... is that the combustion chamber is larger, thus lowering your compression ratio

The frpp ported heads have larger combustion chambers (53cc). The frpp stage 3 high flow heads have smaller combustion chambers (48cc), bigger valves (+1mm), and "upgraded" springs. The stock combustion chamber is 51cc.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
^^ I thought this as well but wasn't sure....Stage 3 gives more compression.....decked heads gives more compression etc...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back