Pros and cons different centri brands

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
The intercooler is a boost restriction. That was all from the intercooler.

Really! Interesting. I suppose that makes sense if you have to route the air around before it even hits the throttle body. So the improved power capabilities of the 2200 or the YSi are truly due to larger head units and higher CFM capabilities?

With my modest goals maybe a 1200 still fits the bill if I add a better fan setup and some heat extraction?

Ugghhh! Maybe I should save the $3-5K and use it as a down payment on a 2011 GT500 when they're closer to $30K. LOL

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Really! Interesting. I suppose that makes sense if you have to route the air around before it even hits the throttle body. So the improved power capabilities of the 2200 or the YSi are truly due to larger head units and higher CFM capabilities?

With my modest goals maybe a 1200 still fits the bill if I add a better fan setup and some heat extraction?

Ugghhh! Maybe I should save the $3-5K and use it as a down payment on a 2011 GT500 when they're closer to $30K. LOL

I don't know. I've been told that the 2200 kit has a larger supercharger but I can't find it in the Paxton specs. The do have a spec for a stand alone 2000 supercharger that flows more air. The YSI definitely flows more air and iirc it's rated to about 10k more rpm than the 1200. It's a serious headunit. Greg had one on a 3v at one time.

I would think that if the 2200 is bigger then it might be worth the extra money and it comes with an intercooler. Terry Beefcake used to have some fantastic deals on Paxton.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know. I've been told that the 2200 kit has a larger supercharger but I can't find it in the Paxton specs. The do have a spec for a stand alone 2000 supercharger that flows more air. The YSI definitely flows more air and iirc it's rated to about 10k more rpm than the 1200. It's a serious headunit. Greg had one on a 3v at one time.

I would think that if the 2200 is bigger then it might be worth the extra money and it comes with an intercooler. Terry Beefcake used to have some fantastic deals on Paxton.

I googled the Vortech YSi and it flows 1600 CFM and is rated to 1200hp. Much more than I'd ever need.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=30016#product_variations

Someone posted this earlier.

P1 - 1200 CFM
D1 - 1400 CFM
F1A - 1650 CFM

Paxton:
Novi 1200 - 1150 CFM / 775hp
Novi 1500 - 1200 CFM
Novi 2000 - 1400 CFM
Novi 2200 - 1450 CFM

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I googled the Vortech YSi and it flows 1600 CFM and is rated to 1200hp. Much more than I'd ever need.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=30016#product_variations

Someone posted this earlier.

P1 - 1200 CFM
D1 - 1400 CFM
F1A - 1650 CFM

Paxton:
Novi 1200 - 1000 CFM
Novi 1500 - 1200 CFM
Novi 2000 - 1400 CFM
Novi 2200 - 1450 CFM

The thing that's always kept me wondering is that the Paxton web site literature doesn't say that a novi 2200 is included in the kit. In fact, there isn't a 2200 according to Paxton. There is a 2200 kit but it doesn't say what supercharger is in it.

http://www.paxtonauto.com/product.php?id=157 BTW the cfm ratings are different than what's in the post you quoted.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
The thing that's always kept me wondering is that the Paxton web site literature doesn't say that a novi 2200 is included in the kit. In fact, there isn't a 2200 according to Paxton. There is a 2200 kit but it doesn't say what supercharger is in it.

http://www.paxtonauto.com/product.php?id=157 BTW the cfm ratings are different than what's in the post you quoted.

Valid question regarding the 2200 kit. I may call and ask them.

I was quoting what someone else posted for CFMs but saw an error with the 1200. Paxton states 1150 CFM with a straight outlet. Some are curved outlets at rated lower. I couldn't find the 2200 but the 2000 is listed as 1400 CFM. So it can't be far off.

For pricing, I suppose the extra $1500 is worth an intercooler and a ~25-33% in airflow.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
While I love my procharger and think it is the better blower vs paxton, my experience with the fit/finish of the stage 2 kit was less than thrilling. The procharger slim fan sucks huge hairy sack. The fan is louder than the blower. It runs pretty much constantly to keep up. The fan is required due to the pipe routing of the stage 2 kit, and as far as that goes, the fitment sucks. You have to bend, push, pull, ziptie the shit out of AC lines, power steering lines, and harnesses. Also the dedicated belt drive presents its own issues with these lines as well. Its a total nightmare if you don't take the time to really figure out how to secure all these problem points. God forbid a ziptie breaks loose. My blower belt has all but chewed through my AC line. Had to use tie wire to finally secure the damn thing.

Love my procharger, but it's a and I want to curb check the engineer that designed the stage 2 kit. I look for him at Sema every year... he never shows...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Wow. A friend of mine had the stage 2 and it was pretty much a bolt on affair. Everything fit just great. His car and how clean everything fit was one of the reasons I went with a Procharger. It wouldn't take much to throw everything off though because of how tight it is with the ac lines, brake lines, etc.

I had the HO which used the stock fan and coolant tank. It was sold to a member on here. Things were tight but everything fit.

It's really hard to go wrong with a modern blower kit imo. They all have positives. I liked my Paxton for the fact that it didn't build boost until I was really into the throttle. This meant that it always ran cool and didn't really affect mpg or driving unless I had my foot into it.

The fast 4.1 drive ratio of the D1 meant that it was getting into boost fairly quick. This was something I also liked because I really dig having a bunch of power on tap. I'd say that a D1 is pretty much like a hybrid between the Paxton and Whipple I've had in regards to power delivery. The Paxton took a little while, the Whipple was instant, and the Procharger quickly ramped up.

While I love my procharger and think it is the better blower vs paxton, my experience with the fit/finish of the stage 2 kit was less than thrilling. The procharger slim fan sucks huge hairy sack. The fan is louder than the blower. It runs pretty much constantly to keep up. The fan is required due to the pipe routing of the stage 2 kit, and as far as that goes, the fitment sucks. You have to bend, push, pull, ziptie the shit out of AC lines, power steering lines, and harnesses. Also the dedicated belt drive presents its own issues with these lines as well. Its a total nightmare if you don't take the time to really figure out how to secure all these problem points. God forbid a ziptie breaks loose. My blower belt has all but chewed through my AC line. Had to use tie wire to finally secure the damn thing.

Love my procharger, but it's a and I want to curb check the engineer that designed the stage 2 kit. I look for him at Sema every year... he never shows...

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score

I will second this to a T.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback. It may sound stupid, but I personally like the configuration of the Vortech/Paxton with an air-to-air intercooler. I've just been on the fence around the value of the larger 2200 with an intercooler built into the $4,200 as compared to the 1200 w/o the intercooler for $2,800. I suppose the larger head unit PLUS the intercooler is worth the extra $1,400.

All I need is money now! LOL

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
The intercooler alone is almost worth it by itself and yeah add the much better head unit and its a much better deal

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Paxton 2200=Vortech JT trim
Paxton 2200R=Vortech Ysi

I run a Ysi on my vette and it has cleared over 1200rwhp, so the ratings are typically a bit underrated.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback. It may sound stupid, but I personally like the configuration of the Vortech/Paxton with an air-to-air intercooler. I've just been on the fence around the value of the larger 2200 with an intercooler built into the $4,200 as compared to the 1200 w/o the intercooler for $2,800. I suppose the larger head unit PLUS the intercooler is worth the extra $1,400.

All I need is money now! LOL

Never laid eyes on the paxton intercooler myself, but from the responses everyone seems thrilled with it. The Procharger intercooler is a nice piece, fairly massive as far as centri intercoolers go. Not sure if I dig the MAF slot built into the intercooler, but the tuner didnt have any MAF troubles so it definately works.

The internal drive ratio is what sold me for the procharger over the paxton units. I built my car for the street, and didnt want to wait til 4-5k/rpm to have some fun. The D1 makes a few psi in the 2-3k/rpm range that makes the car very enjoyable without risking a reckless driving ticket. My car makes about 400ft/lbs rwtq at 3k/rpm. The only other centri car I've had my hands on was a friends 2000 GT, built 2v 9.5:1 CR ported heads blower cams edelbrock manifold and a pullied down V2SQ. Not a fair comparison but my car kicked his fully built cars ass from idle to 5k/rpm. Beyond that he was racecar status above my stock 3v lol. He made 570rwhp/480wtq powerband up to 7k/rpm. V2SQ was maxed out. Even he admitted my car was more fun to drive than his. As far as street/DD FI goes.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Never laid eyes on the paxton intercooler myself, but from the responses everyone seems thrilled with it. The Procharger intercooler is a nice piece, fairly massive as far as centri intercoolers go. Not sure if I dig the MAF slot built into the intercooler, but the tuner didnt have any MAF troubles so it definately works.

The internal drive ratio is what sold me for the procharger over the paxton units. I built my car for the street, and didnt want to wait til 4-5k/rpm to have some fun. The D1 makes a few psi in the 2-3k/rpm range that makes the car very enjoyable without risking a reckless driving ticket. My car makes about 400ft/lbs rwtq at 3k/rpm. The only other centri car I've had my hands on was a friends 2000 GT, built 2v 9.5:1 CR ported heads blower cams edelbrock manifold and a pullied down V2SQ. Not a fair comparison but my car kicked his fully built cars ass from idle to 5k/rpm. Beyond that he was racecar status above my stock 3v lol. He made 570rwhp/480wtq powerband up to 7k/rpm. V2SQ was maxed out. Even he admitted my car was more fun to drive than his. As far as street/DD FI goes.

An excellent point to consider! I'm hoping my 4.56s keep daily driving fun and compliment a centri blower.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
An excellent point to consider! I'm hoping my 4.56s keep daily driving fun and compliment a centri blower.

1st gear will be pretty useless lol. The more gear you have the faster you'll get into boost. If you don't have the tire and suspension to stick it to the pavement, you're going to leave a lot of tread behind. I have 3.73's and run a 4.00 pulley on my D1 with a wastegate set to 7psi. 1st/2nd gears keeps me pasted to the seat, if I pedal it I can maintain traction, otherwise the tires howl the whole way. 3rd/4th is tame but car freight trains. Its so much fun ripping on the sti's because they know I have a centri but in 3rd/4th its a long row and all they hear is the whoosh of the wastegate dumping above the exhaust note. Sounds like a 747 with an afterburn.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
1st gear will be pretty useless lol. The more gear you have the faster you'll get into boost. If you don't have the tire and suspension to stick it to the pavement, you're going to leave a lot of tread behind. I have 3.73's and run a 4.00 pulley on my D1 with a wastegate set to 7psi. 1st/2nd gears keeps me pasted to the seat, if I pedal it I can maintain traction, otherwise the tires howl the whole way. 3rd/4th is tame but car freight trains. Its so much fun ripping on the sti's because they know I have a centri but in 3rd/4th its a long row and all they hear is the whoosh of the wastegate dumping above the exhaust note. Sounds like a 747 with an afterburn.

Sounds perfect to me! I have LCAs and will pickup some 305/45/17 Mickey Ts. I think it'll be fun!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

I had 4.56 with my Paxton. I'm a fan of 4.56 and they really helped with the low boost setup I had. That combo would still turn 24mpg on the highway with the TR6060 and it's .63 6th gear.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back