Question about Afco Dual pass H/E

CaliSpecial

TVS Posse!
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am thinking about fitting the Afco Dual pass H/E to my car. Ideally, I would like to fit the one with twin fans but my car is an auto. Is this going to be a problem? Have any of you done this on an auto and did you run into any issues regarding fitment?

Andy

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I have one but purchased it without the fans...then fabbed up a custom shroud with 2 8" fans on it. The trans cooler is a few inches above it and I suspect that the 10" fans will clear the cooler as well.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Pics? I'd like to see the fans with the stock auto trans cooler with the afco.
I'm running one w/o the fans now, with no clearance issues. But having fans would be useful.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
just a tip........this is the wrong way to install it.

IMG_2160.jpg

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Pics? I'd like to see the fans with the stock auto trans cooler with the afco.
I'm running one w/o the fans now, with no clearance issues. But having fans would be useful.

I have everything out right now.. will be a couple weeks before it is all back together. Will get you some if you have not found any before then.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
TexasBlown how well did the AFCO reduce your IATs without those fans installed? I've heard they don't do much for you except when the car is idling/stopped.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
TexasBlown how well did the AFCO reduce your IATs without those fans installed? I've heard they don't do much for you except when the car is idling/stopped.

With the H/e and larger tank I dropped an average of 20 degrees. Stock IC pump.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The stock KB IC pump mounted right up? Those are some nice results. Makes me want to try one without fans first and see how much of an improvement I get. Thanks

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Well, I mostly just use the radiator fan for cooling now. With a manual on/off override, I can turn it on when I want, which I do when staging at the track to cool things down better.
Last summer I was running 2 tansmission cooler units, stacked on top of each other. That reduced the air flow to the radiator and caused the car to run a little warmer, hence the fan was on almost all the time. The additional trans cooler only lowered trans temps a few degrees, so it was not needed. Removed it and that helped with radiator cooling. The extra cooler was blocking too much air flow to the radiator. Not good.

The point is, with the extra fans, it's got to help not only in iat temps but also in keeping the engine cooler as well.

Here is hot Texas, with the engine heat as bad as it is, IATs still run around 150 on hot days with my setup. That's letting the radiator fan come on when the PCM directs it to.
Haven't checked it lately to see how much different it makes with fans on more often.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
On an 85 degree day I'm sitting in the high 130s during cruise. At lights idling it pushes well into the 140s.

So you are using the radiator fan to pull air with a switch and just having a passive IC mounted up front of it. I'm guessing with a passive IC setup you're only going to improve on the IATs while the car is in motion. All else being equal.

It appears you strongly recommend the AFCO with the fans - that definitely steers me more towards that direction.

Question for you. Do you really think the Whipple runs that much cooler than the KB? Or do you think there might be something else to explain the discrepancy between the two kits as far as IATs go?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I really doubt the whipple runs much cooler. But the actual measurement of the air temp
is probably not that accurate on the kb, that's what I suspect. (seems like we discussed this in other threads, lol).

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
The stock KB IC pump mounted right up? Those are some nice results. Makes me want to try one without fans first and see how much of an improvement I get. Thanks

It was moved to the drivers side, on top of the HE. It was done so the flow was pump > resivoir > KB IC > Afco HE in on bottom out on top to pump.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Thanks. I've heard the pump should ideally be the lowest point in the system but I know it isn't setup that way with the stock KB kit.

And yah come to think of it I think we've talked about the IAT readings vs the whipple before lol. You have a better memory than I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

VectorPat

forum member
Reaction score
I added 2 10" fans to my whipple HE. The only fitment problems I had was the power steering line that runs across the front. I had to reroute it to get it all to fit.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Definitely splurge for the fans.

I have a battery box Canton tank, Meziere 20 GPM pump, and dual pass AFCO (no fans). It gets hot sitting...but as soon as you move it recovers very quickly...but to prevent that soak and the 20 seconds of recovery is key. If dragging, your run is over before you recover from the heat soak, unless you run ice.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back