Question about Interior of a 2010 I'm looking at buying

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Well, I have a paypal account if you want to foot the extra cost if it means that much to you.
If a number of circumstances were different, I'd do it...but they aren't, so I won't.
Call it silly all you like.

I think from a finance standpoint it makes no sense. $7K is negligible and you are still getting a car that is going to be at least a year newer and likely have a higher resale value in the end.

Also for the gas mileage, I'm going to assume you'll be making at least 2 year's worth of payment on the car, if not more. The EPA says it costs about $0.27 more per mile to drive the 2010 over the 2011. If you drive the national annual average of 15,000 miles a year, you will save $4050 a year by driving the 5.0; In other words, you'll make up the $7000 difference on gasoline alone in just under a year and 9 months. And this is assuming the EPA estimates. From what I've seen on this board, the 4.6L gets much worse mileage than the EPA says and the 5.0s get right about what the EPA says, if not better.

But really it doesn't mean anything to me. The more people that are driving slower cars, the better for me. :boobies: All I know is that I bought my 09 GT when the 2011's were out and I will always have deep regrets not getting a 2011, even though my car is much faster than a 2011 now. To each his own and whatever the case, I hope you're happy with whatever car you might end up with!

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
I'll be doing just your normal bolt-ons and then in a bit S/Ced. Won't have the 5.0 and no M6, but I think I'll get over it (at some point, anyways)

I love this logic. Let's get a cheaper car then drop a ton of money into it to make it just as fast or slightly faster than a newer car.

You say you don't want to make the higher payments but then in another post say you want to supercharge it? Why not just save the $4000-6000 you would otherwise spend on mods and use it as a down payment on the 5.0 to get the payment exactly where it would be for the 10?

Just saying.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I think from a finance standpoint it makes no sense. $7K is negligible and you are still getting a car that is going to be at least a year newer and likely have a higher resale value in the end.

Also for the gas mileage, I'm going to assume you'll be making at least 2 year's worth of payment on the car, if not more. The EPA says it costs about $0.27 more per mile to drive the 2010 over the 2011. If you drive the national annual average of 15,000 miles a year, you will save $4050 a year by driving the 5.0; In other words, you'll make up the $7000 difference on gasoline alone in just under a year and 9 months. And this is assuming the EPA estimates. From what I've seen on this board, the 4.6L gets much worse mileage than the EPA says and the 5.0s get right about what the EPA says, if not better.

But really it doesn't mean anything to me. The more people that are driving slower cars, the better for me. :boobies: All I know is that I bought my 09 GT when the 2011's were out and I will always have deep regrets not getting a 2011, even though my car is much faster than a 2011 now. To each his own and whatever the case, I hope you're happy with whatever car you might end up with!

My 09 GT is about 21 city 28 highway with up to 32 highway on long trips. That is well over the EPA's 18/24 estimates and I have the factory 3.55's. I realize that the 5.0 gets better mileage than that but that isn't worse than the EPA says it is. And I practically beat the shit out of my car driving it.

cgc

Reaction score
Why not try and find a new 12 then? They are extremely marked down, and with the interest rate savings on a new vs used car, you could find it in your ballpark.

I appreciate it, but unless I get a zero percent interest rate, my credit union is going to give me a lower interest rate than the dealership over a brand new car or one newer than 09.
Don't get me wrong...it's not like I haven't looked at a newer 5.0.
Seriously, I appreciate the constructive input. I'll look again before I pull the trigger on anything though...

$7K may be negligible to you...may not be to me. I may have other priorities that I'm trying to take care of that you may not have.
Can't cookie cutter everyone's decision based on what works for you.

I love this logic. Let's get a cheaper car then drop a ton of money into it to make it just as fast or slightly faster than a newer car.

You say you don't want to make the higher payments but then in another post say you want to supercharge it? Why not just save the $4000-6000 you would otherwise spend on mods and use it as a down payment on the 5.0 to get the payment exactly where it would be for the 10?

Just saying.

Because I enjoy tinkering on the cars?
Because if/when I add a power adder to the car it will be paid off?
Because I don't want a car payment over "X" amount of dollars a month?
Because if the car does not fall under that payment number, it's not an option?

But then again, I didn't ask for an opinion on my logic....I guess I really wasn't looking to have to sit here an explain all my thought process in why I'm buying a certain year Mustang when I opened a post asking about an interior package.

Just saying...

Last edited:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Good luck with your purchase. I love the interiors of the 2010+. You must be stealing that car if 5.0s are 7K above that thing. With X plan and a $2500 rebate, you can get a base 2012 GT for 25k. If you are looking at premiums, you must want the leather and that bumps you up to 29K. I was hunting around for used 2011s (premium) a few months back and I was finding them for around 24/25K. Just some food for thought. They are also doing 0% for anything under 60 mos I think and 1.9$ for 60+. But I think thats only if you don't take the rebate. I believe there is also another $750 rebate for having a brochure, but someone else will know more about that than me. Look in the "deals on 2012s" thread. Might be worth your while.

Last edited:

topbliss

Reaction score
My 09 GT is about 21 city 28 highway with up to 32 highway on long trips. That is well over the EPA's 18/24 estimates and I have the factory 3.55's. I realize that the 5.0 gets better mileage than that but that isn't worse than the EPA says it is. And I practically beat the shit out of my car driving it.

Mine gets 30 mpg on the highway too.. 21 around town

jrc1122

Reaction score
Those seats look like my seats (which is part of the 401A package for the 2012)-- not sure if that was the same pkg alpha-numeric code in 2010 or not.

I fully understand having a budget for a car, and sticking to that budget, so I personally would encourage you to shop around, and find the deal of all deals, and just see if you could get into a 5.0 for a similar price as the 2010.

You said there is a 6 - 7 K difference, and that may be so, but you can change some things up to get the 5.0 for the same price or only 1 or 2k more?

1st thing that comes to mind.. Go for a non-premium 2011 vs a premium 2010.
2nd thing: Wait a year, and the 2011s will be even less.
3rd thing: Find the deal of all deals (as I said before) and be willing to possibly go up a hair on the total amount for the premium engine.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support someone sticking to a budget, I just am trying my best to get you into a 5.0 if at all possible that fits within, or very close to your initial budget.

cgc

Reaction score
Good luck with your purchase. I love the interiors of the 2010+. You must be stealing that car if 5.0s are 7K above that thing. With X plan and a $2500 rebate, you can get a base 2012 GT for 25k. If you are looking at premiums, you must want the leather and that bumps you up to 29K. I was hunting around for used 2011s (premium) a few months back and I was finding them for around 24/25K. Just some food for thought. They are also doing 0% for anything under 60 mos I think and 1.9$ for 60+. But I think thats only if you don't take the rebate. I believe there is also another $750 rebate for having a brochure, but someone else will know more about that than me. Look in the "deals on 2012s" thread. Might be worth your while.

I appreciate the input (seriously).
Yes, I've been looking for a premium with leather. I've been looking for 2010+ in about the same price range you've listed...and I have not found a 2011+ are in my area in that neighborhood..

I'll look at that thread for sure.

Again I appreciate the input. I'm not some stupid kid as that's the impression I'm getting from others in here. There is more to the situation that what I'm willing to take the time to go into (which at this point, I could have). From what I've been looking at though it appeared that the 2010 was about as much car as i was willing to buy.
If I can find a 2011+ for the same price....sure I have no issue with having that option.

jrc1122 - I appreciate your input as well.
Great points to consider and some of which I already have. Again, thank you

Last edited:

jrc1122

Reaction score
$25.9K $26.4K and several more below $27K on Cars.com within 100 miles from DFW, TX. for 2011 GT (a few of those are premiums)

cgc

Reaction score
$25.9K $26.4K and several more below $27K on Cars.com within 100 miles from DFW, TX. for 2011 GT (a few of those are premiums)

I will certainly start looking again then. I honestly just have not seen this in the Atlanta area.

Truly appreciate the input.

keoni1984

Homicidal
Reaction score
Since having the 5.0 isn't your priority, have you considered the new 3.7L V6? You get the newer body style, nicer interior and it's just as powerful as the 4.6 V8. Plus it weighs less and gets even better gas mileage. Something to think about.

swat 79

forum member
Reaction score
Holy shit, I have never seen so many people rip on a guy for his decision, which he hasn't even fully made yet. A new member on this board just got a loaded 2010 premium with 40k miles, for 17k...17k is what some people are trying to sell their 05-09s for!

I'm sure he is not the only person on this forum that is buying a car because of what he can afford. In the future, when he has more money, he is going to modify the car, just like many of you who are criticizing him have already done...IE, I bought my car because it's what I could afford, and when I have more money and some bills paid down I am going to modify it to make it my own. I've run the numbers, and by keeping this car for the long whole, assuming I put less then 6 grand into it, I will still come out ahead. I'll be down 1 gear, and 50 whp (when I'm done with it) but it will be mine.

What I would like to know is if he was trying to get an 05-09 for 18k how many people here would be throwing out their "2 cents" on what he should do with his money, regardless of his financial decision.

FYI this isn't at all supposed to sound dramatic, I'm just throwing the other side of it out there.

Allez Rouge

Senior Moment Member
Reaction score
Those seats look like my seats (which is part of the 401A package for the 2012)-- not sure if that was the same pkg alpha-numeric code in 2010 or not.
Expanding on this, because a quick scan of the thread indicates that it hasn't been addressed fully:

Assuming the 2010MY cars were the same as my 2012, the seats with the contrasting stripe are part of the 401A Premier Trim with Color Accent Package, an even further upgrade over what you get in the Premium cars. In addition to the different seats, it also includes contrasting stitching (matching the seat stripes) on the seats and steering wheel; different door panels with the little chrome ponies; a dark, "houndstooth" pattern on the dash overlay instead of the brighter brushed aluminum used on the regular Premium cars; and an aluminum shift knob. The boot around the shift lever is also different, although you might not be able to tell just by looking. (It's the same boot used in the Boss 302, so if you like the black Boss shift knob, the knob itself is all you need to buy. I'm about to get the Boss knob for my car, because that aluminum ball gets VERY hot in the summertime.)

The 401A package costs $395 and it is available ONLY on Premium GTs. You can't get it at all on a V6, and I liked it well enough that it's a big part of the reason I bought a GT. To me the Premium interior looks pretty good, but the addition of the 401A package adds a lot more elegance.

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
I ordered my 2010 with the same seats, albeit red with a white accent stripe. It is the 401A rapid spec option, and it should have the carbon fiber dash and brushed aluminum shifter as well. It's a nice option. My wife talked me into that option when I ordered the car. It was a promotion gift to me back in 2009. I wanted a black mustang with black leather seats, but I am glad I listened to her. I still get compliments on the interior.

And yes, I knew the 5.0 was just around the corner, but the timing was right and it was the car I wanted. I turned my nose up at a BMW 335I and a Mercedes C350 for this car, and glad I did.

A country worth living in is a country worth fighting for.

cgc

Reaction score
26.2K in your area (100 miles)

I really do appreciate it, I'll start looking again although I think for what I want (I'm picky, I know) it's probably going to be riiiiiiight on the edge of where I want to be...if not just over.
If anything, I may wait...but I would like to have a Mustang again sooner than later.
We'll see though. Again, thank you.

Since having the 5.0 isn't your priority, have you considered the new 3.7L V6? You get the newer body style, nicer interior and it's just as powerful as the 4.6 V8. Plus it weighs less and gets even better gas mileage. Something to think about.

I am aware of the small gap difference between performance of the 4.6 and V6 Mustangs.
Thank you

If you do end up buying a 2011+ check the warranty and make sure it hasn't been blacklisted!

Haven't heard of this...but I'll look into this. Thank you

Holy shit, I have never seen so many people rip on a guy for his decision, which he hasn't even fully made yet

I appreciate it.
It is what it is...It's easy to say what someone should do when it's not your money and thinks that if something works for them, it will work for everyone.
Whatever.

Expanding on this, because a quick scan of the thread indicates that it hasn't been addressed fully:

Assuming the 2010MY cars were the same as my 2012, the seats with the contrasting stripe are part of the 401A Premier Trim with Color Accent Package, an even further upgrade over what you get in the Premium cars. In addition to the different seats, it also includes contrasting stitching (matching the seat stripes) on the seats and steering wheel; different door panels with the little chrome ponies; a dark, "houndstooth" pattern on the dash overlay instead of the brighter brushed aluminum used on the regular Premium cars; and an aluminum shift knob. The boot around the shift lever is also different, although you might not be able to tell just by looking. (It's the same boot used in the Boss 302, so if you like the black Boss shift knob, the knob itself is all you need to buy. I'm about to get the Boss knob for my car, because that aluminum ball gets VERY hot in the summertime.)

The 401A package costs $395 and it is available ONLY on Premium GTs. You can't get it at all on a V6, and I liked it well enough that it's a big part of the reason I bought a GT. To me the Premium interior looks pretty good, but the addition of the 401A package adds a lot more elegance.

THANK YOU, SIR!!!
30+ post later....lol.

Thanks to everyone who was helpful on the original topic and also in giving some meaningful insight to the choice between the 4.6 v 5.0.

I'll go back to lurking around at this point...
take care.

cody2639

forum member
Reaction score
Since having the 5.0 isn't your priority, have you considered the new 3.7L V6? You get the newer body style, nicer interior and it's just as powerful as the 4.6 V8. Plus it weighs less and gets even better gas mileage. Something to think about.[/

I have been driving the 3.7 for the last few weeks while my 2010 gt has been in the body shop and the performance gap is very noticeable.

Op Buy the 2010. Do what's right for your situation

Last edited:

swat 79

forum member
Reaction score

The 2010 has 10 hp over the v-6, but also more importantly has almost 45 tq over the v-6. The v-6 is a low 14 second, high 13 second car where as the gt is running mid 13s. The difference between the v-6 and the 4.6 (about 5 tenths) is slightly less then the difference between the 5.0 and the 4.6 (about a 7 tenth gap)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back