rad_rob's build thread.

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
So, here we go again. Some of you remember me from a while back when I had my '06. The car was torn down and built for the '08 SEMA show, and long story short, the car is now long gone. Here are some pictures of what we did with the old car.

Aiv5e6m.jpg

nJsBxEJ.jpg

S7BdO1Q.jpg

hiuzl0h.jpg

Well, although that car was a total handful, I was absolutely grateful for all the friends I made going to all the shows, and all the good times I had with it. Well, I have always had a love for Mustangs, and ever since getting rid of that car, I always knew one day I would be behind the wheel of another one. I had a couple different cars inbetween my newest car, but they just never made me as happy as I knew I would be behind the wheel of another Mustang.

Which brings us to my build thread. A little over a month ago now, I picked up my '14 GT. Got a really great price on it, and it only had 6k on the odometer. I immediately fell in love with it. I always knew I would probably always own a Mustang, and this just reassured me of that. Here it is pretty much right after I bought it.

InOnpVf.jpg

rZTIACV.jpg

5B5euX6.jpg

Well, being stock didn't last long. I immediately picked up some H&R Super Sport springs, Tokico D-Spec struts and shocks, adjustable panhard bar, upper and lower control arms, and GT500 strut mounts. I also picked up some sway bars, but I don't know if I'll be installing them. The stock ones that come on the '14 are pretty damn big.

kcHTaTx.jpg

Installed it all on a Saturday, and this is what I ended up with.

8r3uzDI.jpg

ECsnB2o.jpg

tcQIfqT.jpg

Once that was done, I needed to address the audio. The previous owner had installed an aftermarket system, and when he/she traded it in, pulled it all out and put complete junk in its place. Not a big deal, but it needed to be taken care of. So I ended up installing a full JL Audio system. Not too many pictures as I wanted it clean, but I have a couple. I installed the following:

JL Audio C5 3-way components
JL Audio C2 coaxial for the rear
JL Audio 12W6v3
JL Audio JX1000/1
JL Audio XD400/4

I had the doors completely covered in dynamat, and also had custom adapters made. The nice thing about having the base door panels, is that it allowed me to put the 6 1/2's where teh 8" woofer is on the premium panels, and then put the 3" mid speaker where the stock speaker goes. I then relocated the mirror adjustment switch, and installed the tweeters in the door pillars. The 3-way crossovers are abdolutely massive, and they are mounted behind the door panel in a safe place. As you can imagine, this setup sounds absolutely insane. Definitely the most I have spent on a stereo before, but it was worth absolutely every penny.

6NNo6jS.jpg

Gwu0NZK.jpg

85VkhsD.jpg

Oo4u9hU.jpg

GCfZbgP.jpg

So that's where we are at now. I ordered my wheels and tires yesterday from a buddy's shop, and for now, Ill keep them a surprise. As you can tell by my last build, I take things a little too far sometimes. haha. I plan on keeping this build much more clean, yet still make it stand out in a crowd.

This time, my car is being built in collaboration with Cars by Kris. A lot of you have probably seen his work, but his renderings are completely unreal with the level of quality he puts into them. If you haven't seen some of them, you can check out his site here: http://www.carsbykris.com/ He has built quite a few cars for Ford for the SEMA show, some of which are below. He also does design work for so many projects you have probably seen around the forums. If you pick up some Hot Wheels, you have also seen some of his work, as he designs some of the packaging for them. I am honored to say I had a part in building the Pit Boss and the Ring Leader:

For 2010, the Pit Boss was built:
MqRtAiZ.jpg

Jv28Oyv.jpg

For 2011 and 2012, the Ring Leader was built. There were 2 versions of this car, the 2nd taking it up another notch:
oAKWBqY.jpg

IMtCeoK.jpg

pCl6knA.jpg

For 2013 and 2014, the High Roller was built:
IvQkowM.jpg

pm0kuPq.jpg

Xl2QhmM.jpg

Kris is a good buddy of mine, and an amazing automotive designer. I tell him some of my ideas for the car, and he pretty much tells me which ones are dumb, and which ones we should run with. Tonight we are getting together to go over some of the design ideas of the car, and I'll post the results either later on tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned, because a lot of this build is going to happen pretty quickly, and the goal is to get this done in time to get it to a lot of local shows, and also get it out to SEMA this year. My last car was really out of my control, and this time the build is 100% in my control and will be built 100% by me, except for the things I cannot do (interior, paint, etc.) Im really stoked for this build this time around, and can't wait to see some of you guys out at the shows!

Last edited:

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
Some nice shit in here!

Thanks, yeah I tend to get way too detailed in my build threads, but that's part of the fun. I never had a chance to do a build thread on my last car, so I'm going to make sure that this one is very well documented.

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
ECsnB2o.jpg

This guy sucking on a bong??

hahahahaha, that's my buddy who cannot do anything in life without hookah. He was literally smoking hookah about 90% of the time while I was doing my suspension. We give him so much shit for it, but he could not care less.

claudermilk

Reaction score
LOL. I missed the hookah smoker in there.

I'd love to see more pics of the door speaker install. I like the idea of moving the mirror controls. I've wanted to put a component set in the doors, but with those controls there, the best spot appeared taken up for tweeters.. So I was thinking of just an adapter plate & mount both tweeter & woofer in the stock hole.

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
LOL. I missed the hookah smoker in there.

I'd love to see more pics of the door speaker install. I like the idea of moving the mirror controls. I've wanted to put a component set in the doors, but with those controls there, the best spot appeared taken up for tweeters.. So I was thinking of just an adapter plate & mount both tweeter & woofer in the stock hole.

I unfortunately don't have any pictures of the adapter plate and the finished install, but if I have to pull the door panels again for any reason, I will be sure to snap a couple pictures. The 6 1/2's look good in the lower spot though. Ill snap a picture of that later on today.

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the shout out Rob, I'm looking forward to helping you out with this project! The '13-14 is one of my favorite body styles and I'm excited that I get to help customize one, especially for a friend.

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
The funny thing is, I didn't even know you were on this forum. And you have more posts than me. haha. That just goes to show I spend way more time lurking, and I need to spend more time contributing. haha

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I noticed Kris' truck right away. I couldn't connect how Yall know each other or who works for who though. Too busy figuring out if that guy was hitting on a bong I guess. LOL.

Kris_H

forum member
Reaction score
Haha I own my own business doing automotive renderings and customizing cars for the SEMA Show. Rob and I met when he built his blue car (I was asked to do the rendering of it) and have been friends ever since. He was a big help on the Pit Boss and Ringleader so on this project I'd like to repay the favor.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Haha I own my own business doing automotive renderings and customizing cars for the SEMA Show. Rob and I met when he built his blue car (I was asked to do the rendering of it) and have been friends ever since. He was a big help on the Pit Boss and Ringleader so on this project I'd like to repay the favor.

:thumb2: Gotcha!!!! As always, nice work!

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
Hell yeah, Kris and I are both the kind of people that are not afraid to ask for help when we don't know what we're doing. haha. I have no idea how to do renderings and with Kris' design skills, he's going to be a huge help.

I also do custom CNC machining on the side. My day job is running a machine shop that does thermal weapon sites for the government where I program, machine and have a crew that I manage. On the side of course, I can run wild having a machine shop at my disposal, so expect to see a few custom made pieces for this car, as well as Kris' SEMA car(s) this year. As you can see, we work well together. haha

Last edited:

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
As you can see here, I need a little work on my renderings. My car isn't even yellow.

zW6UecH.jpg

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Hell yeah, Kris and I are both the kind of people that are not afraid to ask for help when we don't know what we're doing. haha. I have no idea how to do renderings and with Kris' design skills, he's going to be a huge help.

I also do custom CNC machining on the side. My day job is running a machine shop that does thermal weapon sites for the government where I program, machine and have a crew that I manage. On the side of course, I can run wild having a machine shop at my disposal, so expect to see a few custom made pieces for this car, as well as Kris' SEMA car(s) this year. As you can see, we work well together. haha

Oh wow!!!!!!! A Machinist is ALWAYS good to have as a compadre!!!!!:beer::highfive:

As you can see here, I need a little work on my renderings. My car isn't even yellow.

zW6UecH.jpg

hahahahahahaha Mad MS SKILLZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!:chainsaw: :crazy:

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Kris. Wanna customize a Saleen convertible? :asskiss3: Love your work, man.

So what you're saying is, you don't like my renderings skills? Render me offended.

......Ill see myself out now.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Hey, I see you guys are kind of local here in SoCal. Do you bother with the local shows? Like Fabulous Fords Forever for example?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back