Rear end leak

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I just installed K springs on my '07 GT/CS and while the rear suspension was unloaded I noticed a few drops of oil on the floor. It was coming from the front seal on the chunk (I did the front springs first and had it on jackstands all around). I have never noticed ANY leaks before.
I wiped the oil off and then loaded the rear axle to install the panhard bar. It seemed to stop then, but I was not nearly as long doing this as the front/rear springs.

Was this due to the axle hanging unloaded (the shaft was at a pretty steep angle) for 3 hours or do I have a seal issue?

It rained yesterday and I am out of town now. I will check for leaks Friday when I get in, just curious if anyone else had seen this while installing springs.

Rick

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. I recently replaced the pinion seal due it leaking. Then a few weeks ago when it was on jackstands, there was oil seeping there again. Returning the rear to proper height, the leak stopped. That's the first time I've had that happen.

I would keep an eye on it, and if there's no more dripping, you're ok.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. If it is something wrong, I expect I would be doing new gears too! Then I would have to decide .373 or .410 for a DD!

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
How much negative effect on MPG does the .410 have compared to the .373? It still has the stock .331 gears and I get 25 on the road, 19-21 town.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
auto or manual ? 3.73:1 will actually net slightly better gas mileage when you're not driving aggressive and are better for a DD, not to mention you will most definitely get a little more whine from the 4.10's.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Manual, as a DD I was leaning towards the .373. I had a friend who loved his .390's but FRPP doesn't make that, only Motive. I have heard of too many whine issues from Motive...

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back