Rear Suspension clunk over small bumps (with video)

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
Having some clunking noises coming from the rear over small bumps (like anything a little bigger than a crack). I can't really hear it over bigger bumps, not sure if it's because everything is louder or if its not there. I can replicate it pretty easily by driving on rougher pavement (which is what I did in the video), but I can't track it down. It also seems limited to the rear passenger side.

So far I have checked the following: rear shock mounts, Panhard bar and panhard bar brace, and the droplink/endlink mount. I'm not sure what else to check

Thanks

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Muffler hangers? Some have been reported broken without displacing the exhaust system, so a visul check doesn't always reveal the fracture.

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
Checked those a while ago when before I pulled the right rear shock off and they were fine. Shock appears to fine as well

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
I do have stock mid pipes, but my car's been lowered for about 7 months and this noise has just come up/worsened recently. I did check them though and they show no evidence of hitting the axle and the weirdest thing is that I only really hear it on small bumps, like cracks or patches in the road. Over big bumps, the noise isn't there, or inaudible

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
sounds like panhard bar or swaybar endlink to me.

You may have already tried/already know this- But try jacking up the rear evenly, i.e., both tires in the air at the same time, so nothing is preloaded/bound, which can make stuff seem tight when it isn't. Ask me how I know this, lol.

I don't know what style of PHB you have, but the adjustment on mine would come loose with blue loctite, switched to red, it's stayed put for a year now.

cdog1157

Reaction score
Maybe the nut that holds down your spare tire/inflator came loose and it's rattling?

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
sounds like panhard bar or swaybar endlink to me.

You may have already tried/already know this- But try jacking up the rear evenly, i.e., both tires in the air at the same time, so nothing is preloaded/bound, which can make stuff seem tight when it isn't. Ask me how I know this, lol.

I don't know what style of PHB you have, but the adjustment on mine would come loose with blue loctite, switched to red, it's stayed put for a year now.

lol I know all about my panhard coming loose. I've had to retighten it a couple times now but havent had to touch it recently. It was the VERY first thing I checked. The whole rear end is in the air though and all the bushings and everything look perfectly fine. I'm about to go check to make sure my adjustable endlinks didnt come loose and I'll probably re-locktite those and the panhard while I'm at it lol

Maybe the nut that holds down your spare tire/inflator came loose and it's rattling?

I thought that might be it too, checked it and it was tight, but I also noticed some water in my trunk... I guess the hard rain we had a couple days ago found its way in, so maybe the whole issue is a loose body panel/seal in the spare tire area and I'm chasing a ghost.

I did finally make an appointment to have my transmission whine looked at, and I told them about the water in the trunk too so that should be taken care of I would think.

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
One of my adjustable endlinks wasn't tightened all the way. Put everything back together, put the wheel on and tried to move wheel around, in/out, up/down, etc to see if I can make any noises (did the same on the other side). When moving the wheel in and out, I can definitely make a noise that isn't there on the other side, leading me to think that something inside the rear end is causing the noise vs something suspension wise. What that is though, I'm not sure.

wiplash

Reaction score
What brand PHB do you have? I have a Freedom Racing on my 400 mile 2014 and I feel the opening on the poly bushings is a little too big compared to the OD of the factory bolt running through it. Mine was quiet for about 200 miles but is now making the same noise as yours.

That's where I'm going first as everything else is stock and untouched except for the springs.

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
I have a whiteline phb and it's been on there for probably 5k miles if not more.

On the drive to work, the noise is definitely still there after tightening that adjustable endlink, so I really have no idea where it could be coming from. I feel like it has to be something internal in the axle though because I have checked, double checked, and checked everything again and nothing is loose/broken suspension wise. Like I said before though, the car is going to the dealer tonight/tomorrow to have the diff and transmission looked at for a whine and I'll tell them to check this out too.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Never been been able to figure this out on my 3v car. Good luck with it. Symptoms seem similar to mine. Does it over small bumpy washboard parts of the road and also goin up in the driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
Never been been able to figure this out on my 3v car. Good luck with it. Symptoms seem similar to mine. Does it over small bumpy washboard parts of the road and also goin up in the driveway.

Is yours as loud as mine? I'm starting to get to the point where I'm getting nervous driving the car lol it sounds like the rear end/wheel is going to fall out from the car

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Lol sounds like an old pickup truck.
Mine isn't quite that loud but its not that far off. I can hear it from up front.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back