Rearend whirring noise

cito

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 2011 5.0 base. Only mods are 5300k springs, MM adjustable panhard bar, gt500 strut mounts, tokico d-specs in front, koni yellows in back. No power mods at all. Even has the paper filter.

Last month, a whirring noise from the rear developed. It was a high gear noise. Sorta like the white noise from a radio that is not tuned to any channel. It was looked at by Ford. They replaced the ring and pinion, bearings, wheel bearings, and it persisted. They eventually replaced the entire rear end axle to axle...the whole housing. Things were perfect for about three weeks. Today, the noise returned. Will be taking it back tomorrow.

Not sure what is going on here. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Mine has whined from day one. My 2010 did it too. It becomes more noticeable when you add pieces with poly bushings like LCA's and panhard bars.

cito

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I have read about the control arms, but was wondering whether people get it with the PHB alone, and I am wondering why it comes and goes.

Could it be that the panhard bar moves on the spherical bearing and makes contact with the housing transmitting more noise? I need to look under it.

Thanks again.

AMDanBailer

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 2011 5.0 base. Only mods are 5300k springs, MM adjustable panhard bar, gt500 strut mounts, tokico d-specs in front, koni yellows in back. No power mods at all. Even has the paper filter.

Last month, a whirring noise from the rear developed. It was a high gear noise. Sorta like the white noise from a radio that is not tuned to any channel. It was looked at by Ford. They replaced the ring and pinion, bearings, wheel bearings, and it persisted. They eventually replaced the entire rear end axle to axle...the whole housing. Things were perfect for about three weeks. Today, the noise returned. Will be taking it back tomorrow.

Thanks.

Does the sound change in pitch/tone with engine speed? If so, it could be that your PHB located the bellhousing in such a way that your gears need to be checked for proper backlash or have their depth reset.

Did you buy the car new? If not, have you checked to see if your speedo is off and you possibly have gears in it?

Reaction score
Mine does the same... I'll get someone who knows how to install gears do my 3:73's eventually... I'm done with ford and their 'service'.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Does the sound change in pitch/tone with engine speed? If so, it could be that your PHB located the bellhousing in such a way that your gears need to be checked for proper backlash or have their depth reset.

Did you buy the car new? If not, have you checked to see if your speedo is off and you possibly have gears in it?

I really don't know how a panhard bar could change the location of the tranny bellhousing. Also a panhard bar has zero effect on backlash or pinion depth. :thud:

Reaction score
I really don't know how a panhard bar could change the location of the tranny bellhousing. Also a panhard bar has zero effect on backlash or pinion depth. :thud:

I saw that, i thought the guy was drunk or something...

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks.

Really dude?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

AMDanBailer

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score

I saw that, i thought the guy was drunk or something...

Some people just shouldn't respond to these type of threads. IDK

Really dude?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Geez, sorry everybody! Typed too fast for the brain to keep up. I meant differential housing, not bellhousing. My apologies.

Last edited:

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Geez, sorry everybody! Typed too fast for the brain to keep up. I meant differential housing, not bellhousing. My apologies.
still doesnt explain why you asked if he bought the car new suggesting that it might have aftermarket gears when he clearly stated they were replaced by ford twice...

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
still doesn't explain wtf a phb has to do with the pinon depth or back lash

pdmusgt

forum member
Reaction score
Because when you lowered it you changed angle of the driveshaft

McClane

forum member
Reaction score
I noticed the white noise sound in mine after installing lower control arms. I think its just road noise from the tires being transmitted through the stiffer bushings. I would just turn up the radio and wouldn't worry about it.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I get the same type noise. Had it since the car was new with some break in miles. Replaced my gears with FRPP 4.10's and everything was inspected and all is good. It is gear wine and the suspension is making it worse. I think being lowered, changing angles of stuff isn't helping either.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
still doesnt explain why you asked if he bought the car new suggesting that it might have aftermarket gears when he clearly stated they were replaced by ford twice...
I think you taking this to serious. People miss type shit when doing more then one thing at a time. Who cares he said ford replaced the shit twice, still don't answer if he bought it new. Maybe it was used and traded for this reason.

kn7671

Reaction score
Mine makes the whirring sound too. The noise kinda reminds me of the old belt driven clutch fan on my Fox body Mustangs. I just tune it out since most of my driving is on the highway, and all the noises run together for some nice white noise. Also have a small amount of gear whine, very faint, but nonetheless present. Since I have 3.73's, I'm not concerned about it, just aware of it in case it changes someday.

As others have stated, anytime you start swapping away from the stock suspension parts, it is highly likely the noises generated from your car will become more easily transmitted into the cabin and more present to the ear. The items that increase noise the most will be upper control arms, and anywhere polyurethane bushings are employed, like lower control arms, panhard bar, etc..

erod550

Reaction score
Yep, I have it too. Became instantly noticeable as soon as I installed LCAs with poly bushings. It's annoying but driving around with the windows down most of the time you can't hear it. Only when you put the windows up with the radio off.

I don't think it's a pinion angle issue either. My pinion angle was off and I got a vibration from 80mph and up, but after installing the adjustable UCA and fixing the pinion angle, the vibration is gone but the whirring noise is still there. I'm guessing it's just the sound of the axle and gears spinning getting transmitted into the cabin through the stiffer bushings, much in the same way that I could hear every noise my transmission made after installing solid motor mounts in my Mazdaspeed3. It's a tradeoff for not having wheel hop and I have absolutely zero wheel hop so it's worth it to me.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
spherical bearing , most likely the problem, if you want quite, you need to stay with poly bushing, and lub every surface inside and out.

Last edited:

Blownblu03

forum member
Reaction score
Mine whines too but only in the higher gears on the high way. It sounds like uncorrectly meshed gear setup. It became more noticable once I lowered the car and I had the alignment shop adjust pinion angle so I can not see it being blamed on that nor how it can do it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back