S197 pinion flange adapter question

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a company makes an adapter that bolts onto the 6 bolt recessed s197 pinion flange that would allow the use of a standard 4 bolt F-150/Explorer style driveshaft end ? ( the bottom item in the pic)

The other option is to swap out to a Terminator/F150/Explorer flange but I want to do testing at the track to compare the 5 speed auto against a C-4 automatic and an adapter that allows me to use the same rear setup would be perfect while allowing me to use both types of driveshafts.

Any leads ?

ix5bo2.jpg

Last edited:

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
The Drive Shaft Shop uses a adaptor plate on their DS so they could probably drill one for a 4 bolt flange, it'll likely be pricey ..

Other than that, try a local 4x4 shop or a big rig shop that makes driveshafts and see if they can cut a plate for it.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I've seen an adapter on one of the car's I've worked on, does exactly what you're looking for, adapts the 6-bolt to 4-bolt. The 6 bolts are hex bolts recessed into the adapter plate to provide a flat surface. Pretty cool, I thought.
That'd be easier than swapping the pinion flange (with a $30 cobra pinion flange), which of course is the other option.

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
my dynotech engineering driveshaft came with an adapter, as described above. whether the four bolt pattern is what you need, i cannot say.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen an adapter on one of the car's I've worked on, does exactly what you're looking for, adapts the 6-bolt to 4-bolt. The 6 bolts are hex bolts recessed into the adapter plate to provide a flat surface. Pretty cool, I thought.
That'd be easier than swapping the pinion flange (with a $30 cobra pinion flange), which of course is the other option.

I contacted the driveshaft shop asking if they could take their steel adaptor and machine it to fit the 1350 ujoint deal. He said to get back with them next week because the guys were at the PRI show.

Upon measuring the c/line of the 4 holes versus the 6 holes to adapt to the s197 flange I have a bad feeling at least one of the 4 will hit one of the 6.

my dynotech engineering driveshaft came with an adapter, as described above. whether the four bolt pattern is what you need, i cannot say.

This is what the driveshaft shop has showing on their site. (backside view) Probably the same idea that Dynotech uses...an adaptor 6 bolt to 6 bolt plate allowing the use of heavy duty cv joints

2zteh6p.jpg

What the driveshaft shop shows for the v-6

142d06d.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back