S197 Removable Hardtop Write-Up

KingofQueens

forum member
Reaction score
Lots of time and hurdles in this process. Glad to see it finished. Best of all worlds, coupe n vert.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
I'm sorry but the rear corners sticking up an inch off the car body really stick out for me. I'm sorry you had so much work to get it this far, still not anywhere near close enough for me to want one.

I have to agree with this. The work that was done on that is really nice, but that gap, you say it isn't noticeable, but that is all I can see. Major credit for taking this project on, but there is no way that after all that, the end product would make me happy, not on a sweet Shelby like that.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I think it looks great. It sets the car apart from the rest (not that it needs it), and it gives you that coupe/hardtop look and feel while still having a convertible.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Sounds like this process was a royal PITA. Glad you got through it and that you're happy with the finished product.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I think it looks great. It sets the car apart from the rest (not that it needs it), and it gives you that coupe/hardtop look and feel while still having a convertible.

That was the idea. I like my convertible but I can't enjoy it in the winter or the spring/early summer so this seemed like a good idea (at the time, lol).

Congrats on keeping this project going. What was the final bill? ?

Too much.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Curious about headliner, is it custom or a factory coupe piece?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's really cool. Do you know if they're planning on making a hard top specifically for '11-14s so people don't have to go through all that?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Doubt it. They are too expensive as-is and the return on the company investing in making a new mold would not be beneficial... not that I would want to go through prepping one of these tops every again. After the process with the company it convinced my dad not to get one for his Vette.

Who knows maybe, in the far distant future, we'll give it another go on remolding the bottom of the top to contour to the body.

Last edited:

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
1. You are batshit crazy for seeing that through to the end.

2. That is awesome.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
The hard top looks incredible on the Shelby.

Slightly off-topic question...How easy is it to remove the trim around the quarter panels and trunk lid area on the verts (3 pieces total)? I think the back piece (rubber feel) is screwed on at the rear of the top. I want to replace mine (06GT) but don't know what is involved - like would removing the rear piece affect the top positioning before the new piece is installed?

Thanks

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I haven't had to remove those pieces for this project so I'm not sure. Removing these weather moldings should not interfere with the top positioning while the top is lowered in the down position.

Back