S197 Removable Hardtop Write-Up

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
How long does it take to install?

How long to remove?

Honest answers please.

I'm sure it cost a hell of a lot more than you are comfortable mentioning. I personally would be going back to Slimline asking them for some compensation for your R&D time for THEIR product.

I think it looks fairly good for what it is. That 5/8" gap in the back would drive me batshit though. But as long as you are happy, nothing else matters!

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
About 8-10 minutes to get on if you get lucky snagging the rear J-clips on easy. That's how long it took us and I was learning how to do it.

Will take about 5 minutes to unbolt and take it off.

I'm about to do a walk around in my garage via video so you guys can get a better idea of it inside and out.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Nice, looks like you really got that leading edge and the windows fit well, and I'm impressed how tightly the top tucks at the back of the door glass, doesnt stick way out the side

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
Glad it's over Cam.

how heavy is that monster? Glad you've got the dealership to store the top in during the summer.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Nice, looks like you really got that leading edge and the windows fit well, and I'm impressed how tightly the top tucks at the back of the door glass, doesnt stick way out the side

Yeah that took a ton of work to get it perfect on the sides.

Glad it's over Cam.

how heavy is that monster? Glad you've got the dealership to store the top in during the summer.

A bulk of the weight is the rear glass. The top total weight is 45-50 lbs. I have no where to store this thing at any of the stores. I gotta get a stand for it and I'll just store it in my basement, which is basically parts storage already lol.

If any one going to be able make it down to the Charlotte 50th show I will most likely have the top still on the car so you can see it.

Last edited:

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
A bulk of the weight is the rear glass. The top total weight is 45-50 lbs. I have no where to store this thing at any of the stores. I gotta get a stand for it and I'll just store it in my basement, which is basically parts storage already lol.

If any one going to be able make it down to the Charlotte 50th show I will most likely have the top still on the car so you can see it.

Not as heavy as I had expected.

Depending on how high the ceiling is in your garage maybe you could make a hoist/storage area for it.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Not as heavy as I had expected.

Depending on how high the ceiling is in your garage maybe you could make a hoist/storage area for it.

That was what I was thinking

CAMPER_SHELL_HOIST_OPAGE.jpg

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I thought about it but not crazy about the top floating in the air for 6 months. The town house garage isn't too tall either. My brother showed me those contraptions when he got his Jeep since he is looking for a storage solution for his hardtop as well.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I think hanging it in the garage would be your best bet. Utilize space that otherwise would be open air anyway.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
I think they'd be cool but only if you have like 10' ceilings though. Otherwise you'd be smacking your head into it when the car's not in the garage.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know why, but you sound like Elvis in the beginning, lol. Anyway, that is a sweet setup! Have you had a chance to get any reactions from anyone who's seen the car in person?

images

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Not too many people have seen it. I took it from the shop home on Sat and it's been sitting since. Too much snow around still.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
That's a pretty nice mod. That quarter panel gap would bug the fuck outta me though. I bet it will bother you too, you seem to be a perfectionist. I predict that top goes back to the bodyshop for a recontour next winter. :naughty1:

Your guys really did an outstanding job getting the top to work at all. Something I can never seem to convey to other people is, anything "custom" from the aftermarket is a complete piece of shit and a monumental motherfucker to deal with. I don't care what it is.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
since it was made for the 05-09 rear quarter panels, did you look at cutting the section out where the curved section is, seems that is why it does not sit flush and that may be why the front was too tall? now its sitting about an inch higher than if it was on a 05-09.....im sure its obvious and im sure you have spent many hours trying to figure it all out. like someone giving me advise on how to fit 2013 fenders on a 07 car,lol

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
That's a pretty nice mod. That quarter panel gap would bug the fuck outta me though. I bet it will bother you too, you seem to be a perfectionist. I predict that top goes back to the bodyshop for a recontour next winter. :naughty1:

Your guys really did an outstanding job getting the top to work at all. Something I can never seem to convey to other people is, anything "custom" from the aftermarket is a complete piece of shit and a monumental motherfucker to deal with. I don't care what it is.

I really don't want to fuck with that top anymore. Lol

I agree... when it is "custom" it is a PITA to do and it still could be a huge whopping piece of shit if not executed properly.

since it was made for the 05-09 rear quarter panels, did you look at cutting the section out where the curved section is, seems that is why it does not sit flush and that may be why the front was too tall? now its sitting about an inch higher than if it was on a 05-09.....im sure its obvious and im sure you have spent many hours trying to figure it all out. like someone giving me advise on how to fit 2013 fenders on a 07 car,lol

Cutting out that piece that overhangs would have been even more work. It is hard to explain how though since it would have been some really tricky fiberglass work.

The decklid height of the 05-09 and 10-14 is the same. The roof dimensions are the same too. As for the top not fitting correctly beats me. The top is not sitting an inch higher. Only the corners are higher because the quarter panel slopes down.

I know we could have executed it differently, like you mentioned cutting the corners off that overhang, and it could be something we do in the future, but for right now it was a lot of time and money and I want to enjoy the car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back